Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's interesting here is that the Model S, on some level, already has it. I don't know if Tesla just never enabled it, or the effect is so small as to be unnoticable, or what... Supposedly, it takes speed, motor rpm, and climate control fan speed into account.
Thanks for the link Gizmo, that's actually the most amount of info on the sound system I've ever read, wonder why Tesla doesn't "borrow" it for their own material lol

Here's my problem, and I am starting to suspect it is only on newer cars with the signal stock on top of the cruise stalk (like traditional American cars). Not only does my ultra high system NOT auto-adjust the volume, but the thumb wheel sensitivity is REALLY low, meaning I have to spin it considerably to adjust volume.

I was just listening to a podcast driving in the city and I had to continuously adjust the volume, and not a little but a lot, just to keep listening without broadcasting out my windows and roof at every stoplight.

So the two of these things combined -- lack of auto volume adjust, and my very low sensitivity scroll wheels -- are enough for me to be aggravated daily if not only because after reading the consultant's brochure, I see how obvious and easy this could be to implement.

And if we ever get this properly implemented, please give us the control of the setting of it, Tesla. Give us control please. Why do we have so little control of settings ?

Are people here seriously talking about selling their car over the dash display?

My MS could show meatspin on the dash for all I care...
Meatspin like as in a schwarma thing ?? lol
meatstick.jpg

I totally agree, I am passionate about the car itself but dash is important, I'm holding my judgement, eg. live energy data is often important when I'm controlling the car. I'm waiting to see and use it before I file my bug report though ;)

Overall however, I am much more interested in added functionality than a new skin and moving stuff around...

If we're going to be disappointed, it should be with this, which is the root cause -- Tesla needs to add skin capabilities and it should have been with this new interface. The new skin and old skin would have been the first two skins. Then everyone would be happy, especially me, who wants a nice raw DOS text interface showing every possible data point :p

Last edited:
I welcome the automatic trip in addition to user defined trips. It's a feature that I've consistently missed. Having the time I started the trip will also be welcome. I can't see what's to complain about.

I agree, and that's how Mercedes also did it in my '05 SLK. It had two trip odos -- one that auto-started and one controllable by the user. It's good to have both. But from the looks of the beta UI, all we get in the IC is the auto-started one, and not Trip A or Trip B like we have now. ALSO, even if it's selectable between Auto/A/B, we don't have total energy used, just "elapsed time" and we only get to see one at a time on the dashboard. What I'd like to see at a minimum is five trip odos:

1. Lifetime
2. Auto Start
3. Since Last Charge
3. Trip A (user settable)
4. Trip B (user settable)

And then let us pick any two (or three) of those five to see on the dash -- INCLUDING 'Energy Used'.

I agree, and that's how Mercedes also did it in my '05 SLK. It had two trip odos -- one that auto-started and one controllable by the user. It's good to have both. But from the looks of the beta UI, all we get in the IC is the auto-started one, and not Trip A or Trip B like we have now. ALSO, even if it's selectable between Auto/A/B, we don't have total energy used, just "elapsed time" and we only get to see one at a time on the dashboard. What I'd like to see at a minimum is five trip odos:

1. Lifetime
2. Auto Start
3. Since Last Charge

And then let us pick any two (or three) of those five to see on the dash -- INCLUDING 'Energy Used'.
Why do we need more than 1 set of trip data on the IC? You can have as many as you want on the touch screen. Too much information not related to the immediate driving experience is distraction, imho. Don't you think energy remaining is more relevant than energy used, while driving. I am not good at subtraction.:wink:

Why do we need more than 1 set of trip data on the IC?

Many times on long trips I'm monitoring Wh/m for different segments. For instance one trip odo for the entire trip, and a second for a particular segment where I need to conserve energy to make it to the next SC. And "since last charge" for obvious reasons.

You can have as many as you want on the touch screen.

Yes, if "as many as you want" is 2.

Too much information not related to the immediate driving experience is distraction, imho.

Again, different strokes. I don't find it distracting to have quick access to the information I need at that moment, without punching through screens on the touchscreen.

Don't you think energy remaining is more relevant than energy used, while driving. I am not good at subtraction.:wink:

"Energy Remaining" is only relevant to the battery, not the trip odos.

What I'd like to see at a minimum is five trip odos:

1. Lifetime
2. Auto Start
3. Since Last Charge

I think we just have different standards. That seems like a high minimum bar. At a minimum, I'd like to have the car keep track of two trips, because that's what it does now. If we're talking about upgrading that, adding an automatic per-drive trip would be fantastic.

I'm unwilling to make the jump that because we saw this one image, that somehow A and B are removed. But if so, it'd be a loss because I'd miss my B Lifetime, and the ability to set a real trip logger. My belief is that they've more likely been relegated to the 17" and I'm perfectly fine with that. I don't care to see my lifetime stats on the IC, just want them saved somewhere.

1. Lifetime
2. Auto Start
3. Since Last Charge

Is this the moment where I point out that I want a pony?

Wait, what? Trip meters are gone? Ugh. Come Tesla. Work hard on the final product and take our feedback into account.

I never meant to imply that Trip A/B are "gone".... just that they're gone from the IC.

If Tesla removed them all-together -- yeah, that would be something.

Maybe it's because the rumor someone heard that the trip odometers are not odos at all, but store and summarize every single trip you've made... and to clear up some UI problems (was it LTE connectivity???), the service centers are now recommending to reset both Trip A/B to free up memory. Yeah, it's crazy, I know.

If that clock face represents the new design direction of Tesla, I'm afraid I'm out.

(For the record: I absolutely loved my Model S. I only sold it to get a new and better Model S. It was the best purchase I've ever made and I've recommended and shown it to everyone who is remotely interested. )

I also believe that the clock "app" is the worst of the new ones. Pretty much all of the others I'm fine with.

Yeah, if they remove certain info from the IC and instead display it plainly on 17" so I can see it at all times then I can learn to live with it. As it stands, though, they removed ambient temp from both screens by default. This I'm not ok with at all.

Oh, and I'm still not crazy about them removing the power meter as the default display. They also need another tick mark at 320 kW (in 7 beta it maxes out at 300) since that's right around the max power my S85 puts out and I do reference that a lot when I'm doing sprints.

Maybe it's because the rumor someone heard that the trip odometers are not odos at all, but store and summarize every single trip you've made... and to clear up some UI problems (was it LTE connectivity???), the service centers are now recommending to reset both Trip A/B to free up memory. Yeah, it's crazy, I know.

I asked about this, and was told in no uncertain terms that the "trip" meters do not store a huge database of data for tens of thousands of miles, they merely serve as an accumulator of miles and energy, and then simple division is done to display Wh/mi. This is likely to have been a "telephone game" case where someone's concern with lag led to a "do you think it might be the case that ...", then the "do you think" got dropped, then the "it might be the case that" got dropped, and suddenly everyone is resetting trip meters for no good reason.

The other problem with this "time since 10:43" trip odo is that it looks like the *CAR* decides when that trip odo starts -- and who knows what that is? The last time you started the car? the last time the car sat for more than X minutes/hours? And I really hate those icons -- what's wrong with "Miles/time/energy"? If they want to make the car language-agnostic, then make Language a setting on the touchscreen. There are dozens of other examples on the dash that are language dependent, just to have these three silly icons instead of text? It's yet another 'what were they thinking' moment. Bleech.

Oh, and what's this I just noticed? The CENTER column on each row is *different*. The top is hours since whatever event. The bottom is kWh since last charge. Why isn't kWh since 10:43 (start time) the value on the top row? What colossal inconsistency!! The "clock" on the top of the center column doesn't apply to the second row, but the other two icons do!! ARG!! The more I look at this, the more and more it makes less and less sense.
I am REALLY getting impressed by just how worked up some of you fellas get over something that you don't know to be true ... or even what you're actually looking at. Is it a GM V7? Is it beta V7? Is it a special screen for Beta folks to record data during events that must be fed back to the dev team? Is it even relevent at all?

Starting to wonder if some of you folks are plants, specifically here to foment discord because the argument over something that is not factual just doesn't make sense.

Oh, wait ... Fox news is the #1 watched news channel in the US? Never mind.

I thought that has been the story line for a while now. It won't work in city driving. Just not enough cameras / sensors. Compare the Google car with the Tesla. No way.

I'm having the same discussion over in the other autopilot thread.

Autopilot != Autonomous

He clearly says it'll be "highway autonomous". It will not. It will be highway autopilot. If it were highway autonomous, I could take a nap. It would follow my nav on-ramp to off-ramp and change lanes for me on it's own (it can't do this. user initiated only. still listed on TM.com).