Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the biggest loss as others have stated is the real-time power on the speedo. Someone else mentioned this, but losing the real-time power might mean you also lose the yellow bars that tell you the regen is deadened when the pack is very cold or full. Not knowing that regenerative stopping power is missing or degraded can surprise you and cause you to overshoot a stop, potentially meaning you end up in the middle of an intersection or worse in the back of someone or right over/thru something living on the roadway. I would be shocked if they didn't convey this info somehow, even if it is just an icon or alert in the form of words. But I highly doubt it will be as intuitive as the current power meter. Let's hope there's an option to disable the car emoticon and bring back the normal speedo with power esp for those without the autopilot :-/

I think some sort of brake indicator would be a great training tool. I follow so many Models S with the brake lights clicking on and off frequently, it's apparent to me that the driver is unaware this is going on. A few weeks of an idiot light in the face would be a great to correct that driving style.
What's wrong with "that driving style"?
There are lots of times when it is appropriate to slow down and the brake lights warm drivers behind that you are slowing. Much rather have the lights than get rear ended.

As far as having the brake lights visible, you don't need an entire toy car to show that. A simple idiot-light somewhere on the instrument panel would suffice. Or even just a Tesla "T" in the middle of the speedo that shows up when the regen kicks on the brake lights.

It could be indicated by the actual Regen Bar going from Orange to Red. Takes up no more room as you're using the same analog sweepy arc thing.

You are right, you don't need a whole carmoji (vemoji? Autoji? Teslarva?) to show when the rear lights go on.

I've never liked skeuomorphism. It looks childish and cluttered. Clean and simple is better.

It's exactly this extreme, black/white attitude towards skeuomorphism that bothers me. If you go back, I said I think the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Are you advocating for idiot lights? So many things wrong with idiot lights.

The entire top row of indicator lights on the instrument panel are idiot lights. If a new brake light indicator is on the back of the toy car graphic, or it's in the top row of indicator lights, ITS STILL AN IDIOT LIGHT!

This whole problem could be solved easily. Give us two option for the centre screen,
1- With toy car, without power meter.
2- Without toy car, with power meter.
In addition the option to keep the old style bottom "toolbar" with lock, odometer, temp, date and time.
The only time Tesla has implemented a function after "public outcry" is as far as I can remember is the "creep"-button.

What's wrong with "that driving style"?
There are lots of times when it is appropriate to slow down and the brake lights warm drivers behind that you are slowing. Much rather have the lights than get rear ended.

If the car is slowing down, then the brake lights should come on. I get that.

But there are instances I see everyday, where that's not what's happening. For example, I'm often in highway traffic that's going fast, but not at a constant speed. Out of the hundreds of cars on that stretch of road, the sole cars with brakes coming on briefly and regularly are the Teslas in front of me. (And the occasional extreme tailgater)

My belief is that many (most?) Tesla drivers are not proficient one-foot drivers and they are unaware exactly how often their driving style lights the brakes and causes unnecessary concern for the cars behind.

IMO, a training aid is needed. The only way to see brake illumination from inside the car today is from the charging screen, which isn't safe to review while driving. So, only half in jest, I suggest a brake "idiot light" on the dash for the first 500 miles driven in each new driver profile.

I've never liked skeuomorphism. It looks childish and cluttered. Clean and simple is better.
Are you advocating for idiot lights? So many things wrong with idiot lights.

Hmm. I thought the non-skeuomorphism designs looked childish--something that you would give a five year old. I'd agree with doing half and half so that buttons look like buttons, etc. wouldn't be bad. However, removing the information (in particular the power metre) that I use all the time and regulating it to a secondary spot is just plain awful.

I just find it odd that we have outcrying at all when none of us have personally seen it yet, let alone actually driven with it.

P.S. The 2-3 folks that have seen it in person seem to all be saying it's nice and simple.

P.P.S. Hopefully all the comments don't lead to a delay of the general release.
What difference does it make between seeing the 20+ pictures posted here and seeing it with your own eyes ?
Either the power meter is there or it isnt.

It could be indicated by the actual Regen Bar going from Orange to Red. Takes up no more room as you're using the same analog sweepy arc thing.
Not an effective solution for the approximately 8% of the male population that is red/green color blind to varying degrees. I have difficulty distinguishing between orange and red unless the colors cover large areas and are in full sunlight, exactly the opposite of the situation of an LCD screen with a shade over it.

I just find it odd that we have outcrying at all when none* of us have personally seen it yet, let alone actually driven with it.

*The 2-3 folks that have seen it in person seem to all be saying it's nice and simple.

P.S. Hopefully all the comments don't lead to a delay of the general release.

Disagree. We've seen pics, and our concerns are quite rational based on the pics we've seen.

To the extent that Tesla needs time to fix these errors, I certainly do hope it leads to a delay in the general release.

Firmware 7.0

Not an effective solution for the approximately 8% of the male population that is red/green color blind to varying degrees. I have difficulty distinguishing between orange and red ...
... so the 8% would be no worse off than they are now. Now (V.6) we have no brake light indicators at all unless the Charging applet is overlaid on the main screen - not a good full-time layout if you want to use a map, radio, etc.

Yech! I hate it. What's with the white-on-black flat boring look these days? Its a color screen... use it. Actually same thing with the products I work on (I do EE design). The UX designers come back with this boring flat, monochrome UI. Why do I put in an expensive color display then?

I really really like the IC display as it is now. I loved the blue orange and green indicators for speed and energy consumption. Those indicators looked so cool curving up the dial, with their trailing color. And the orange & green coordinated with the energy graph. In fact when I test drove the car in Vancouver in summer 2013, that's one of the things that really struck me.

Blah. boring flat look. Why? Just because Apple did it, or Google?

Oh and if I have to have that stupid car image at the bottom of the IC in my non-AP car (now that's 5 year old appropriate UI), I'll scream. oh maybe I'm 5 years old hah :redface:

Last edited:
The lack of an accurate power meter is probably the only real loss of functionality I see here. That's kind of a deal breaker for me for long trips. I like to know exactly how much power I'm pulling on acceleration. Keeping acceleration under ~40kW maximizes capacity, and I see no way to do that based on the images I've seen so far.

Cant seem to find the temp or date in the photos posted by OP. Also, range bar is not as granular as it is in 6.2. I consider this loss of functionality.

Where are you seeing this photo? I don't see any photos from him since his post on page 18. Am I missing something?
Firmware 7.0 - Page 18

Yeah, just catching up on this thread and was wondering the same thing. Guess they got pulled.