Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now have some insight into this.

When I had my Next Gen seats installed at my house a few weeks ago, the tech was also going to stage the then current firmware update. I figured I'd be getting it any day anyway, and was in no rush, and wasn't keen on losing my mirror settings, so I mentioned that, and said it was fine with me if he wanted to skip the firmware update. He assured me that the only reason people lose mirror settings when updating at the service centers is because whomever is performing the update is rushing, and not taking the time to make sure the settings are set to be copied over. He said I had nothing to worry about, and that he would make sure that he set things correctly, and that I would not lose my mirror settings. And as it turned out, I did not.

This would explain why some people always lose their mirror settings when firmware updates are performed at the service center, and others say they never do. (Different, but consistent service techs.)

For those of you who have been losing your mirror settings, try explicitly asking the tech who is going to perform the firmware update about it, and see if they can be maintained.
Did you get the impression this has an impact on other settings? For example, Regen Standard vs. Low?

Did you get the impression this has an impact on other settings? For example, Regen Standard vs. Low?

I didn't because we didn't talk about it. I actually wasn't aware of an issue with that setting also being regularly lost. If this has been a problem for you, I'd just ask the next time an update is being performed at the Service Center. Of course you probably don't need to, since it's easier to set the regen setting back the way you want it than it is to set the mirrors back, and probably easier to do that than it would be to ask about it.

I didn't because we didn't talk about it. I actually wasn't aware of an issue with that setting also being regularly lost. If this has been a problem for you, I'd just ask the next time an update is being performed at the Service Center. Of course you probably don't need to, since it's easier to set the regen setting back the way you want it than it is to set the mirrors back, and probably easier to do that than it would be to ask about it.
It hasn't been regularly lost, but there was a 5.something update that set regen to low and the display still said normal. You had to toggle the setting back and forth to get normal regen again, only the problem and the fix wasn't obvious as the setting said normal when it wasn't.

Point of clarification:
I'd say one of out 3 (maybe fewer) firmware updates has at least 1 report of "regen changed" within 2 days. I'm wondering if a lost Standard/Low setting is the cause in some cases.

For my vehicle, it's never been a problem.

I'm of two minds on this. I like the idea, but worry that without the camera to verify via road signs, the first guy to get a speeding ticket because the GPS data is wrong will be all over Tesla because of it!

My TomTom has the feature and I really like it when I'm travelling in a rental car, but there are times when the data in the GPS does not match the roadside signs.

I'm of one mind on this. My Garmin also has this feature.. but you can only do so much... a driver needs to pay attention to the road and be aware of the speed limit. If the car tells them something wrong, well, tough nuggies. How is that any different than an autopilot driver getting wrong information? The speed limit info in the autopilot cars is a combination of GPS data and cameras. The cameras aren't foolproof, so it's just as likely for an AP driver to get wrong information as a non-AP driver with no cameras. Tesla wasn't driving the car, the driver is, and if they exceed the speed limit because of bad information, well to bad then, they shouldn't rely that much on tech to tell them what to do.

Since the AP cars can't rely on the camera finding the speed limit - and there are times that the camera (and drivers) may be confused anyway with the speed limit signs, when there are adjacent roadways or exits - the database with the speed limits may be the more reliable source - and that could be provided to non-AP drivers.

Even with the camera - at best - the displayed speed limit can only be viewed as advice as to the likely speed limit - it can never be viewed as a guarantee anyway.

Would be a nice feature to provide to the earlier models...

I'm of one mind on this. My Garmin also has this feature.. but you can only do so much... a driver needs to pay attention to the road and be aware of the speed limit.

Oh, I agree, and I do like the feature on my TomTom when I'm in a rental car. I just meant that as a built-in feature, someone is sure to complain when there are consequences of it not working perfectly, and Tesla may have decided they just don't need the hassle.

I've found the autopilot-equipped speed limit knowledge to be significantly less than 100% accurate quite a few times. There is actually one area of town where the speed limit is 30 MPH and the car consistently believes I'm in a 60 MPH zone for at least 1.5 miles. And with the solid indicator line, not the dashed car-isn't-really-sure line either. There's also a section of 65 MPH highway that it swears is a 25 MPH zone.

So... I don't know if the camera helps enough with this to make a GPS-only version that much worse.

I've found the autopilot-equipped speed limit knowledge to be significantly less than 100% accurate quite a few times. There is actually one area of town where the speed limit is 30 MPH and the car consistently believes I'm in a 60 MPH zone for at least 1.5 miles. And with the solid indicator line, not the dashed car-isn't-really-sure line either. There's also a section of 65 MPH highway that it swears is a 25 MPH zone.

So... I don't know if the camera helps enough with this to make a GPS-only version that much worse.

I suggest that you report these anomalies to Tesla (eg via bug report in car at locations with error) so they can investigate. Either there is a bug related to reading those speed limit signs or a bug in some logic that resolves discrepancies between the observed signs and the speed limits stored in the Navigation system and/or obtained from Google maps.

I can attest that the camera definitely is a plus -- I have been through numerous construction zones where the camera has picked up the reduced speed and the navigation system (and probably even Google) would have been oblivious. I haven't noticed any errors in my corner of the world.

I've got a place on my commute that ocassionally shows a drop to 50 from the 70 mph limit. There's no signs around so I have no idea why it does that.

When I went down to Pendleton, OR last weekend I noticed on the way back that the car was reading the 65 signs as 85.

So in theory the camera is a great idea. In practice it's not perfect.

Has anyone with the 101.34.2 build gotten an update, presumably back to the "normal" range (or not)? My iPhone app has notified me I have an update waiting, but as I'm vacationing in Reno I won't action the install until we finish our drive back home on Sunday night.

I'm now back with normal people, installed 2.4.239 last night. Tracker updated.

I just got .239 a few days ago. Let me know if you have 3G problems (such as nav page not showing anything and voice commands saying they are disabled due to no connectivity (dispite having full strength 3G showing ). Reboot of console didn't help.

I had that intermittently (rarely) with 101.xx and earlier releases as well. Also occasionally 3G/signal strength disappearing altogether, for no apparent reason (i.e., I wasn't out in the boonies). I'll keep an eye on it for this release.

I just got .239 a few days ago. Let me know if you have 3G problems (such as nav page not showing anything and voice commands saying they are disabled due to no connectivity (dispite having full strength 3G showing ). Reboot of console didn't help.

I got 2.4.239 and promptly tried Energy savings ON and Always connected UNCHECKED and shortly after had 3G connectivity failure. Either Tesla is not working on this Canadian problem or it is not fixable. It would be nice to get some more detailed communication from Tesla officially telling us what is going on with Canadian cars and if we will ever be able to use the Energy Savings feature. This has been broken for a long time. It must be very annoying to those not on this forum who's 3G drops intermittently and who do not know they should not use this setting.

Energy saving has never worked reliably since it was included in the 6.0 release, Nov. 2014.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/37866-3G-connectivity-issues-since-V6-xxx/page2

I think if Elon new about this problem and how long it has gone on, he would not be pleased.

Last edited:
Since this got brought up in this thread again. After heading out to Mount Rainier again this past weekend I'm now 100% positive that the trip planner uses the 30 mile average to help try to adjust the predictions. Coming down the mountain it makes wildly optimistic predictions which once you put 30 miles behind all that regen, become more realistic. Obviously this adjustment factor is there to help adjust for driving style. But I'm surprised there isn't some sort of floor to avoid situations where driving down hill for long periods distorts it.