Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2 poll to say when you got it

On which model have you received the 6.2 firmware update?

• Classic Model S

Votes: 98 37.7%
  • Auto-pilot model S

Votes: 57 21.9%
  • Dual-drive (non perf)

Votes: 21 8.1%
  • P85D

Votes: 84 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok stupid question, what's the difference between OTA and 3G? I've reported "OTA" since the Wifi where I park is next to useless, my updates will always come OTA on the car's 3G... so, I remain confused.

Just looking at the reports this morning, all the 101's reported have so far been on VIN #'s only in the 0's, 10's, and 20's. Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Historic. Initially we had "OTA" and "SC" - but then Hank added "3G" and "Wifi" in case that made a difference in the rollout.
I guess right now people who don't know where the car was when it got the update are still using OTA. When I park on the street my car sometimes just barely latches on to wifi, other times it's just on 3G - so I sometimes am not sure how it was connected when it gets an update...

Wow, they are going crazy on us with version numbers...

.153 was pushed to a lot of people
since then we've seen first .160, then .155 and then in parallel 101.36.2

Makes you want to wonder what's in the water in Fremont...

Yeah, no idea where .155 came from. Could 101.x be a sign of the Model X platform? It's the only thing I can think of. Although even then it's odd for such a jump to occur in minor delta updates.

Here is some background that might help. I got 2.4.153 on 14th. it failed to install (i lost all my driver profiles and the auto lower setting was reset to 100), so i contacted tesla (cried, begged, pulled hair) and asked them to push another version. 15th got a call and was told new version was pushed. I checked and indeed, I installed and it was 2.4.153 this time did not fail to install. The driver profiles did not come back.

Forgot to mention i had emailed support and also contacted service. Possibly there were 2 groups looking into my issue. Now on 16th got the below version. It seems like they might have sent a patch specially for my car.

I dont see any difference in release notes from the below version vs 2.4.153
View attachment 78235

PS: this new version did not bring the driver profiles either.

Ok, so I'm new to the Tesla experience. I've only had my PD for a few weeks. Are you saying the profiles aren't backed up in the cloud? If not, how do they expect you to restore them when you upgrade or simply get a loaner? Do they think you're supposed to set everything back up each time you get a loaner???????

Ok stupid question, what's the difference between OTA and 3G? I've reported "OTA" since the Wifi where I park is next to useless, my updates will always come OTA on the car's 3G... so, I remain confused.

OTA is a superset of Wifi and 3G.

The original Wiki had just OTA and SC, and to maintain consistency, I loaded those records as-is.. and then added 3G and Wifi to add some more detail, if available. I left OTA as a selection because people might not know if the update came via Wifi or 3G, so that's "OTA".

eta: Didn't see Dirk's reply above which said the same thing.

Ok, so I'm new to the Tesla experience. I've only had my PD for a few weeks. Are you saying the profiles aren't backed up in the cloud? If not, how do they expect you to restore them when you upgrade or simply get a loaner? Do they think you're supposed to set everything back up each time you get a loaner???????
Normally upgrades don't mess with these settings. 6.2 has a few problems. For some people stored addresses in nav got mixed up, I think we had only one report of the user profiles getting lost.
And sadly, none of this transfers to a loaner at all. So a loaner isn't customized for you AT ALL.

Ok, so I'm new to the Tesla experience. I've only had my PD for a few weeks. Are you saying the profiles aren't backed up in the cloud? If not, how do they expect you to restore them when you upgrade or simply get a loaner?

Ha ha ha. Cloud backup. That's cute. No, the profiles aren't backed up anywhere, nor are they transferable. You're thinking way too far ahead for Tesla. Sure, it's a tech company, and all those kinds of things are really nice to have and not that hard to do.. but they have much bigger fish to fry than worrying about driver profiles.

That said, the profiles should not be wiped out for the standard firmware upgrades. Mine never have.

Do they think you're supposed to set everything back up each time you get a loaner???????

Yup. Also, I'm just curious -- does any other luxury (or non-luxury) vehicle do this?

The Model S is not like an iPhone. There is no cloud backup.

Not aware of any car that has the capability you seem to want.

Settings don't transfer to or from loaners to your car.

Strange -- only non-Auto Pilot and RWD cars have been updated with 101.36.2.

Maybe it's a fork with all that stuff ripped out and/or maybe they're finding different performance modes with the single motor cars that are unique to them.

I wonder if from here on out, that only AP/D cars will get the 2.4 branch, and non-AP/RWD cars get the 101. branch.

I'd sure like to see more cars updated with 101.x to confirm this pattern. Not that we'll know *why* Tesla did it.

But remember the screen shot from that first P85D... that had a 101.x.y number as well!
I wouldn't read too much into that, as 101.10.x is quite a bit behind 101.36.2 version.

Looking at the reports, I see the following regarding 101.36.2:
- no dual motors
- no autopilot
- only VINs <= V2xxxx
- no service center delivery

2.4.168 now out for P85Ds. Firmware 6.2 - Page 61

My P85D had not been pushed anything beyond .124. It received an update and was ready to install it shortly after 8:00 PM eastern this evening, but I won't be able to actually install it until late tomorrow night. I think there's a good chance it is .168.

Hank--When I do install it and have the version number will I be able to update the tracker with the date I received the update for tracking purposes, or does the tracker automatically assign the date the information is entered? If the latter, do you want to manually change things like this for accuracy when you know about them, or is it not worth the trouble?

Thanks!

My P85D had not been pushed anything beyond .124. It received an update and was ready to install it shortly after 8:00 PM eastern this evening, but I won't be able to actually install it until late tomorrow night. I think there's a good chance it is .168.

Hank--When I do install it and have the version number will I be able to update the tracker with the date I received the update for tracking purposes, or does the tracker automatically assign the date the information is entered? If the latter, do you want to manually change things like this for accuracy when you know about them, or is it not worth the trouble?
You can set the date

Got 6.2 on my 60S on 4/14. Did not drive it until morning of 4/17. After dropping kids off at school and on the way to work the warning chime was constant. Turned back, left it home and used the minivan. I noticed before leaving that morning there was another update waiting, which was delayed until 9:00 PM. Tested it this morning and no chiming.

Release is 6.2, 101.36.2.

I have now installed the update and it was, in fact .168. I have updated the tracker and dated the update 4/17, which is when it was pushed to the car.