Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Throttling since 11/3/17

What speed on LTE using fast.com and the Tesla interface do you see

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<speculation>

Once worked for a company that made a product with free cellular data on device, but there were strong limits on what any particular user could do with that data. Eventually a handful of people figured out how to circumvent restrictions and then use the connection in a tethered state to consume free bandwidth however they pleased. And damn, they were greedy.

I am guessing that Tesla's deal with AT&T is sensitive to abuse meaning, if there are folks abusing bandwidth allocated to Tesla then the entire network could be throttled.

I mean, I am connecting hazy dots, but given that this was improved without a software update and on the Tesla side (not AT&T) I am thinking they blacklisted certain modems effectively booting them off the network and thereby fixing bandwidth availability for everyone else. If we see a regression, it's possible others figure out the same exploit. That seems like something Tesla could fix in software in the future, but could keep recurring until they do so.

</speculation>

Saw the thread on Reddit, hadn’t been around to see this megathread here on TMC. Thanks much for getting this fixed. I just tested my bandwidth using fast.com and am getting 2.1 Mbps. I know before this was fixed Slacker sucked, seriously. I couldn’t skip a song and had to shut it down sometimes (change to radio and back, I’m sure nothing there is news....).

Appreciate the news, and, glad to hear Tesla heard and reacted!

I was experiencing CONSTANT loading issues and easily reproduced it for them at my 50K service. They diagnosed it as hardware errors in the MCU without being any more specific. They replaced the MCU and now it's all working again. Interestingly I was apparently upgraded to LTE for free so I'm guessing they may not have 3g MCUs anymore or that AT&T has asked to reduce the 3g usage as much as possible.

fast.com is netting me just about 500KB, no faster than the 3g connection was before and if it can't fall back to 3g when I'm in 3g only areas, this is basically going to be a major downgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
While less frequent, loading errors persist with LTE. This is a recent response received from Tesla Customer Support when I inquired about the continuing issue:

Customer Support Tesla [email protected]
Date: Jan 31, 2018

Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Support.

We currently are working on resolving the issues with slacker loading and expect to have a update with a resolution soon. For now, the work around is to reboot the touchscreen to obtain a new connection and see if we can get the streaming functionality to return. Keep an eye out for future FW updates in regards to this issue to obtain the fix.

Reactions: boonedocks
I was experiencing CONSTANT loading issues and easily reproduced it for them at my 50K service. They diagnosed it as hardware errors in the MCU without being any more specific. They replaced the MCU and now it's all working again. Interestingly I was apparently upgraded to LTE for free so I'm guessing they may not have 3g MCUs anymore or that AT&T has asked to reduce the 3g usage as much as possible.

fast.com is netting me just about 500KB, no faster than the 3g connection was before and if it can't fall back to 3g when I'm in 3g only areas, this is basically going to be a major downgrade.
You got lucky. I have an Original MS and all they keep telling me is "a fix is coming". :(

While less frequent, loading errors persist with LTE. This is a recent response received from Tesla Customer Support when I inquired about the continuing issue:

Customer Support Tesla [email protected]
Date: Jan 31, 2018

Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Support.

We currently are working on resolving the issues with slacker loading and expect to have a update with a resolution soon. For now, the work around is to reboot the touchscreen to obtain a new connection and see if we can get the streaming functionality to return. Keep an eye out for future FW updates in regards to this issue to obtain the fix.

I have had this issue randomly as well. I must say I LOL LOUD when I read “Keep an eye out for future FW updates in regards to this issue to obtain the fix“. What difference does it mke do keep an eye out for and see a FW fix when the only way I seem to get an update is at the end of any major release. I got the Christmas one on both my cars but nada before or after unless a SC visit for a repair. :-/. Hopefully it will be fixed soon tho