Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roaming profiles attached to our TM online account - sounds perfect!!!

That's a good solution, otherwise it might be a month manual process linking up cars.

In any case, I can't see it being a priority since this should really be something that is rarely necessary. Few families have multiple teslas and you shouldn't need to be in a loaner so often that it becomes a big annoyance.

So after applying this update a few days ago, I have had problems where the "deep sleep" mode is so deep the touchscreen never wakes up, where it is ignoring the display energy saving preference and putting the car to sleep less than a minute after the fob moves away from the car (even with the driver's door open!)

Took it by service on the way home from driving around this morning, where I was making many short stops. Eventually gave up on rebooting the touchscreen, as it was becoming unresponsive within mere minutes even after a reboot, and was going into deep sleep extremely rapidly regardless of energy saving preference.

The final straw was when the instrument cluster display refused to wake from sleep (thankfully on my last stop of the morning.) While I'd already gotten used to having to wait for the instrument cluster to allow me to put the car in gear, it was a bit more of a pain driving with both touchscreen and instrument cluster displays dark! The behavior of time from entering the car to being able to shift into drive remained the same (about 15-30 seconds), but was a bit disconcerting to drive the 20+ miles with two dark screens from where I was to the service center (which thankfully is only a few miles from home)

At the Raleigh service center, they confirmed this wasn't something they'd seen or heard of, so hopefully it is just something specific to my older touchscreen not fully accepting the update, rather than an indication of some broader issue. While using the steering wheel controls to reboot both displays temporarily resolved the issue, the touchscreen still locked up within minutes, so at least the service center has direct experience with the issue and doesn't think I'm merely a raving lunatic. :wink:

Sorry to hear that dflye.
No such issue for us with an older touchscreen (VIN 116).
Hopefully it is a unique issue and they can quickly resolve it.
Since the car is drivable enough as far as I'm concerned and they had a queue of other cars to work on, the service manager and I decided that I'll keep driving the car around until they can get someone from the engineering side in CA in the next few days to troubleshoot before they jump straight away into something like a touchscreen replacement.

Since the car is drivable enough as far as I'm concerned and they had a queue of other cars to work on, the service manager and I decided that I'll keep driving the car around until they can get someone from the engineering side in CA in the next few days to troubleshoot before they jump straight away into something like a touchscreen replacement.

Dflye, I had something like this happen to our MS (vin 2201). It doeant go to sleep that quickly, but the touch screen didn't power on once! It took several attempts to get it to reboot but it finally did. This was right when the 5.8.4 update was ready to install...

I had problems sleeping and waking up after 5.6 came out. They ended up having to replace my instrument panel. This also wiped out all my settings and energy history, etc, which makes me think they don't have the ability to transfer profiles either.

I had my center console replaced and lost all setting as well. They told me the information wasn't, at that time, transferable.

I had problems sleeping and waking up after 5.6 came out. They ended up having to replace my instrument panel. This also wiped out all my settings and energy history, etc, which makes me think they don't have the ability to transfer profiles either.

I had my center console replaced and lost all setting as well. They told me the information wasn't, at that time, transferable.

Interesting that the settings/history are wiped when replacing the instrument cluster OR the touchscreen. You'd think the data would only be stored wherever the internal hard drive is...

Interesting that the settings/history are wiped when replacing the instrument cluster OR the touchscreen. You'd think the data would only be stored wherever the internal hard drive is...

I also had my touchscreen replaced last February, and can confirm that I lost all settings, saved chargers, trip odometers, etc. when they did that.

Maybe they have to do a full "system restore" when changing one of the two components.

After driving my first loaner, I reported this problem to Ownership. Other cars typically have a "clear personal data" command in the user interface - not available (yet) with the Model S. Ownership indicated the Service Centers can clear this data on the loaners - so if you see one that hasn't been cleared when you get it - when you bring the loaner back to the Service Center - ask them to clear the data, if you don't want your home location to show up on the charging station list for subsequent drivers.

Hopefully this is on Tesla's "to do" list for the software...

I have requested this from a loaner I used. They supposedly did it. However, my house showed up with all the stuff remembered from the last time that I had the same loaner.

We had our center screen replaced a few weeks ago (they were troubleshooting a problem in the audio system, and decided proactively just to replace the screen). They managed to transfer some settings, including our Homelink programming (yay!). My husband's profile transferred fine, but mine didn't - it came through as a profile with a blank name, and it didn't keep my settings. Deleting it and recreating a new one kept the same problem - but once I rebooted all was right in the world.

So it seems they can transfer SOME settings when swapping out the screen.

Shouldn't be too difficult for Tesla to upload the car's settings & profiles to owner's accounts on their servers - and then provide in the loaners the ability to "log in" and download those settings.

Tesla should seriously consider at least a short term "surge" of software resources to implement features like this - and the missing features in their onboard software (navigation, entertainment, smartphone integration, ...).

Since updating somewhere between the 5.8 ".30" and the 5.8.4, the Energy Saver (Sleep) mode, which, for the last 3 months has worked perfectly, stopped working. Seems the car now never goes to sleep and is loosing range/SOC very fast. Nothing else has changed, and I have tired all the usual stuff, togging the ON/Off on the new energy saver setting, rebooting etc.

Has anyone has similar experiences? I have an email into ownership, but no news yet.

Thanks!

My sleep mode is not functioning correctly since the 5.8 update. I was losing 2-3 miles per day with version 5.6. Now I am back to losing about 8-10 miles per day. I have not reported it to Tesla.

Update: Telephoned Tesla to report this issue. Was told the issue will b e passed on to the engineers.

Last edited: