Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wow, 4 updates in a month. Seems like it's getting a bit excessive. Especially since I never got 5.6 but went straight from 4.5 to 5.8 (.22). I worry about quick turn updates - fully tested?

I get the impression that these fast-turn updates are smaller things, i.e. bug fixes and small quick-turn feature changes (e.g. the fluctuating charging voltage detection).

Perhaps this upgrade changes the charging system so that it again will be possible to charge with the full current/amps when the power is good. I have had the problem after upgrading to 5.6 that power is reduced automatically. I.e. when 32A is available the car only charges at 21/22A. Hopefully the update will allow full power on good installations..

That will never happen. The national electric code only allows for 80% of the max circuit draw for a continuous load. Our cars are considered a continuous load since they have the capability to draw max current for more than 3 hours.

That will never happen. The national electric code only allows for 80% of the max circuit draw for a continuous load. Our cars are considered a continuous load since they have the capability to draw max current for more than 3 hours.

EU is not US. Here the cables rated for 16A are rated for continous load and that's why people are pissed off about reduced charging. My EV bix is rated for 3x32A, but the car draws a max 3x13A, not 3x16A that the single charger should do.

EU is not US. Here the cables rated for 16A are rated for continous load and that's why people are pissed off about reduced charging. My EV bix is rated for 3x32A, but the car draws a max 3x13A, not 3x16A that the single charger should do.

Sorry didn't notice it was EU. I agree that it should be location aware. Are you in 50hz? That should be enough to tell the car to adjust the charging rates if that's the frequency you have.

By the way, I don't think this will prevent a problem with an undersized wire or frozen breaker. It could heat up and start a fire before the current fluctuations cause the car to cut back charging.

Yes it could but chances are reduced. If a breaker or a wire heats up to the point where it starts to degrade conductivity, resistance is increasing. This goes along with a voltage drop at the car. If a certain threshold is passed, the car reduces the charging current and issues a warning. It is necessary to have your wiring, panel, breaker, and outlet checked if you see this warning message.

Sorry didn't notice it was EU. I agree that it should be location aware. Are you in 50hz? That should be enough to tell the car to adjust the charging rates if that's the frequency you have.

No need. The pilot signal signals the car what current it can use. The signalled current should already be restricted by code. In the EU a wall box with a 32A pilot signal needs a 32A circuit. In the US the same box needs a 40A circuit. The car can safely draw 32A in both scenarios.

The problem at hand is that the EU model charger contains 3 separate 16A chargers. So you can use either single phase or three phase. But those 3 sub-chargers are at present restricted to 13A max. So for the time being we have a 9kW/18kW charger, not 11kW/22kW as promised. This restriction was introduced in v5.8 I think, and is supposed to be removed again later on.

Installed 5.8.4 last night. These are my initial observations (very limited seat time - about 10 minutes - to make these observations so take them all with a grain of salt.) Rebooted touch screen and dash screen (I always do that after an update as a practice), also toggled the regen and other controls that can be toggled. The below might just be the placebo effect of knowing that the car was just updated again as well but...

* Regen seemed to be stronger than before (in other words it now seems as if regen is the same as it was before the 5.8 update which I felt made regen smoother and less pronounced).
* audio system midbass and bass seems more balanced and volume level has been adjusted. Where as I was running my volume at 6 to 7 before, now running it at 5 to 6 seems to have the same volume level.
* acceleration from standing start seems to be neck snapping like it was previous to 5.8. My impression of 5.8 was that the acceleration had been toned down slightly to be less violent

Those are my quick observations and I can't say for sure if what I experienced was real or just my mind playing tricks on me, but I thought I'd post anyways.

Last edited:
I had my 14-50 UMC charge automatically drop from 40A to 30A, on an outlet that I'm confident is robust (installed at a business location with many others).
Worried Tesla's new algorithm in 5.8.4 for dropping charger power might be overly cautious... :/ Wonder what it looks at for the input voltage changes? Droop only or oscillation? Perhaps their hysteresis isn't very good...

I had my 14-50 UMC charge automatically drop from 40A to 30A, on an outlet that I'm confident is robust (installed at a business location with many others).
Worried Tesla's new algorithm in 5.8.4 for dropping charger power might be overly cautious... :/ Wonder what it looks at for the input voltage changes? Droop only or oscillation? Perhaps their hysteresis isn't very good...

Oops need override option!

Well EU cars are in EU and US cars in US so I'd hope that the car knows that if it's drawing from three phase power that it can draw max current :) But yes I do hope that this gets fixed because it's a bit worrysome as it's removing 9A of capability or effectively 19% charging capacity on an already relatively slow charger (single charger).

Are you confident that the UMC 14-50 Adapter is robust? There have been a number of reported incidents where the adapter to cable interface had failed and/or melted. Might be a good idea to pop the adapter off and check for signs of overheating.

Are you confident that the UMC 14-50 Adapter is robust? There have been a number of reported incidents where the adapter to cable interface had failed and/or melted. Might be a good idea to pop the adapter off and check for signs of overheating.

That's a good point, I haven't checked the adapter specifically (I believe mine is one of the original versions). I will check it.

That's a good point, I haven't checked the adapter specifically (I believe mine is one of the original versions). I will check it.

Other than being warm the UMC 14-50 adapter & contacts looked fine. Called Tesla and they said it looked like the line voltage... which was around 203/204V on a 208V 3 phase outlet, that caused the 25% current reduction. Thinking this is going to become a big issue for people on 5.8.4

Mine is charging on a 14-50 at 40 Amps as we speak (on 5.8.4).