Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.5 in EU Spec Cars...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shouldn't we start seeing 5.5 start popping up soon? I mean they are delivering EU cars with the firmware and if its good enough for the new Tesla owner then it ought to be good enough for the seasoned veteran. If anything, I would have thought 5.5 would be rolled out to US customers first as a sort of final beta test. I figure it's better to have someone experienced with the car deal with software issues than it is for someone who is sitting behind the wheel for the first time.

Shouldn't we start seeing 5.5 start popping up soon? I mean they are delivering EU cars with the firmware and if its good enough for the new Tesla owner then it ought to be good enough for the seasoned veteran. If anything, I would have thought 5.5 would be rolled out to US customers first as a sort of final beta test. I figure it's better to have someone experienced with the car deal with software issues than it is for someone who is sitting behind the wheel for the first time.
From what I read I understood that the European cars are shipped with 5.0

But I can only assume the US spec cars will get 5.0 soon.

... thus rendering any kind of sleep mode obsolete. Treat the root cause not the symptoms. I like!

Or, as I suspect may be the case, the incremental improvements are all part of the progression towards the car entering a sleep mode for the most complete elimination of vampire current draw that still allows for responsive wake-up time.

A "sleep" mode on most devices is typically putting the individual components in their lowest-power state, and yet still retain basic low-level functionality and retain state such that they can re-enter full-power quickly. Often times there are several levels or states of sleep that a device can go thru depending on what it's doing and/or how long it's been idle.

So, if they are doing this with the individual components of the vehicle, they ARE treating the root cause BY progressively enabling a sleep mode .

(Note this is as opposed to "hibernation", which typically powers a component completely off, thus losing state and requiring a full power-up/reinitialize phase. This takes longer, and requires the previous state to have been saved in non-volatile storage so it can be read back in. This is why hibernate cuts energy usage to practically zero, but requires longer than "sleep" to wake back up).

I want both. I accept that in sleep mode that my P85 might take longer to wake up and I accept that. Give me (as an end user) the option to put my MS into sleep mode or not.
I don't think gregincal was referring to the "might take longer to wake up" aspect of, um, "original sleep mode". There were numerous reports that stated and/or indirectly suggested that some of the 12V and other issues were caused by original sleep mode.

(Note this is as opposed to "hibernation", which typically powers a component completely off, thus losing state and requiring a full power-up/reinitialize phase. This takes longer, and requires the previous state to have been saved in non-volatile storage so it can be read back in. This is why hibernate cuts energy usage to practically zero, but requires longer than "sleep" to wake back up).

Then I want hibernate as an option on my MS P85. When I don't use my MS for 3 weeks, I want to come back to it with a full main battery. I don't want to come back to my MS having lost 64-70 kW parked in an airport lot. How does an owner with a 60 kW main battery survive such an event? And this loss is at an ambient temp of 70 degrees. I "shiver" to think what the result would be at 10 degrees.

Bottom line, is that the loss of 3-3.5 kW a day must be solved by TMC. This is not a problem with the Roadster, so why is it a problem with the MS?

I want hibernate as an option on my MS P85. When I don't use my MS for 3 weeks, I want to come back to it with a full main battery.

This I agree with. For long term storage, a hibernate mode that effectively reduces usage to 0 would be useful, even though it would likely mean some things, such as being able to use the remote app, would be unavailable.

I would like this for occasional usage in addition to typical sleep mode, which I would expect to kick in several times daily (when I park it in the garage over night, at work, etc...)

This I agree with. For long term storage, a hibernate mode that effectively reduces usage to 0 would be useful, even though it would likely mean some things, such as being able to use the remote app, would be unavailable.

I would like this for occasional usage in addition to typical sleep mode, which I would expect to kick in several times daily (when I park it in the garage over night, at work, etc...)

I also agree with this. In normal circumstances the car should use a reasonable amount of energy always. It uses too much now and that needs to be fixed for all users, not requiring some special setting. However, it seems reasonable to tell the car you are going to be away for several days or weeks and have it go into a deeper sleep mode (It might be nice to be able to check the state of charge of your parked car remotely now, but if you could guarantee that the state of charge won't be changing it becomes unnecessary, and if being able to check is what is causing the battery to drain...).