Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.5 in EU Spec Cars...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see why not. Somebody should have asked this at TESLIVE...
I asked about parking sensors at the factory tour. I didn't like the answer. It wasn't a firm no, but it definitely wasn't a yes.

Edit:
Clarification: Ted was great. He didn't waffle or offer double-speak. His answer was detailed and straightforward. What I didn't like about it was the likely conclusion we should expect... kind of like "Perf+ retrofit will cost you double for less".

Last edited:
But the big question is will it be available for retrofit on US cars.
The ability to create revenue after delivery is certainly one of the interesting differentiators for Tesla.
The parking sensors are obviously something that can't be done as "just" a software upgrade. But if the rumors are correct and the main wiring harness does have the wires needed, then changing out the bumpers seems feasible. Rest assured it will be VERY expensive. They charge EUR500 for the factory option in the EU - that appears to translate to a USD500 factory option here (if you compare other prices). My bet is a retrofit will be at least $3k.

Regarding retrofits, I'm all for them (I know that the pricing is an issue for some, but I won't go there for purposes of this post), but I think that Tesla is being slow in announcing anything officially, partially because the Service Centers already seem to be pretty maxed out right now and if they took on the additional load for retrofits, it could potentially impact the service experience everyone has right now. I note that even though the Performance+ retrofit was announced awhile back, there still is no detail available about how to get it and what it's final pricing will be. I do believe we've had verbal confirmations on the price, but I have yet to see anything in writing. Not that I'm complaining, I'd probably be one of the first ones to jump in and do the retrofits as they are available so it's keeping me from spending more money!

If they offer it at a remotely reasonable price I will order a retrofit.

One must also take into account the cost of the software side of things considering how it is fully integrated into your display and it shows the exact distance to obstacle unlike other cars that just go beep or just have lights...

Usually in aviation this kind of "integration" is ten-fold more expensive than standalone parts that do not integrate into the vehicle. So I'd say three or four-fold the price of aftermarket parking sensors would be fair game. (The kind that come with their own display that they mount somewhere on your dash or some audible beeper instead of feeding the data straight into your car's on board computer and displays).

Also, remember that the cost could partially be "prep" work for future "autopilot" integration, which means Tesla could have pre-planned self-parking possibility by having extra lines of code, or extra cables and wiring that lead to nowhere. (Like how some devices - TV, etc. - have strange inputs/connectors that state "For future use" or something like that... Samsung has TVs that are prepped for "future upgrade" with an "evolution kit" connection behind the screen which is of no use at the original time of purchase)

I took some pics today in FW5.5 that I believe are new? At least only belong to the Cold weather package:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374325361.191249.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374325386.370747.jpg

(heated wipers)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374325479.035486.jpg

Alarm settings that might belong to the new "Safety option"??
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374325586.823864.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374325666.890146.jpg

I don't have knowledge about if these features were there on previous versions.

Last edited:
Did you ever get ideal? Just curious

No; for that matter, I've mostly had it set to Rated.

I wonder how typical is calculated then. Ideal never was that useful.

I wonder if Tesla has started to figure out "typical" range numbers based on some sort of average Wh/mile data gathered from the 10,000+ cars out there?! And, categorized by region even?! Probably not but, it's possible, in theory.

Hmm, italian and french language options? Considering where most EU cars are sold, norwegian would seem a more logical option...

In Norway every person I ever met could speak good English, not the case in France or in Italy.....

- - - Updated - - -

WTF does Typical mean? If it's the new name for Ideal it's a huge step backwards. If Typical is more like Projected, then the world may make sense again.

Just because they have that in Europe doesn't mean it will change here. Grammatically speaking "typical" is much more correct than "ideal" in describing how much range you may have left. E.g. The number shown is "typical" of that you could expect if you drive in an ideal manner. Being shown an "ideal" number doesn't actually make much sense.