Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that my vampire losses are a bit higher recently, and that often times the mobile app is connecting quickly, indicating the car isn't sleeping at the normal times it used to (i.e. after being parked at work for several hours).

I made sure the display sleep settings were correct, which they were. I had to reboot the center console yesterday to fix volume/muting issue but not sure if that's alleviated the issue thus far.. if not I may try the long-press reboot too... that's a new one to me.

"Long reboot" fixed my sleeping problem...push in both scroll wheels for 40+ seconds.

I've had this issue intermittently with 5.12 (.22). Staying awake for longer than needed or waking to soon before the 12 V actually needs to be charged. I ended up doing a long press hard reboot (hold the scroll wheels for 40 s until both screens go dark) and it seems to be working better now.

Hmm... I held both scroll wheels for close to a minute... the center console went dark at about 15 seconds in... and by 30 seconds it started to reboot with the logo... I kept holding and the dash screen never went dark and rebooted. It did lose the odometer for a bit (does that always happen even with a short reboot of the center console?)

Is everybody seeing BOTH screens go dark with both scroll wheels held for 40 seconds?

Are we sure that this hold-for-40-seconds reboot is really different from the regular reboot? I would think that once the regular reboot starts (after 10-15 seconds), it doesn't matter if you're still holding the buttons down for longer.

Dunno. IIRC, someone posted that Tesla Service advised them on this procedure for a separate issue. Since nothing else worked for me I decided to give it a try and low and behold my car is back to its regular sleeping pattern. Both screens and all interior lighting (at least when I did it) should remain dark after the 40 s period.

Well, I had 5.11 and I just got 5.12 (1.64.39) OTA. Did others get this OTA? I stopped following this thread about 3 weeks ago.
I just got this last night OTA, per normal months (it seems) after everyone else. Which isn't a bad thing.

Long reboot, both screens went dark (dash 10-15sec after main), but then instead of coming back up on reboot (when AC shut off) everything just stayed dark. However, I think that was because the timing of the reboot happened to coincide with the auto-shutdown, since I'd been sitting in the car for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Dunno. IIRC, someone posted that Tesla Service advised them on this procedure for a separate issue. Since nothing else worked for me I decided to give it a try and low and behold my car is back to its regular sleeping pattern. Both screens and all interior lighting (at least when I did it) should remain dark after the 40 s period.

On a different device, I've told people to hold a button for 20s to reboot, even though it actually only takes 10s, because people counting to 10 usually count quite a bit faster than real seconds. Maybe it was the same thing here - the service person said 40s just to make sure they held the buttons long enough.

Are we sure that this hold-for-40-seconds reboot is really different from the regular reboot? I would think that once the regular reboot starts (after 10-15 seconds), it doesn't matter if you're still holding the buttons down for longer.

This is why I asked the question. My dash screen did not "reboot"... although the odometer numbers blinked out for a bit, the rest of the dash screen (speedo, power meter, etc..) remained present the entire time. The dash did not go through the standard reboot sequence seen when you hold down both lower steering wheel buttons.

Really? The only 5.12 I had heard of was at the service center (that's where I got mine).

There were a few folks in the 5.12 thread who reported getting it OTA. I believe most reported through the SC. There doesn't appear to have been a wide OTA distribution, but the various versions have been trickling out. Kind of strange also because of all the 5.12 variations.

There were a few folks in the 5.12 thread who reported getting it OTA. I believe most reported through the SC. There doesn't appear to have been a wide OTA distribution, but the various versions have been trickling out. Kind of strange also because of all the 5.12 variations.

We just got 5.12 OTA today. We were on 5.11 yesterday, no SC visit.