Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
dsmith, Patience Grasshopper. The great 5.0 will soon be here. Its in the stars.

This is the time of the year to write to the great pumpkin. On Halloween night the great pumpkin rises out of his pumpkin patch and flies through the air with his bag of toys for all the good little children everywhere.

We will sit here in this pumpkin patch and you will see the Great pumpkin with your own eyes.
Each year the great pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch that he thinks is the most sincere. He’s got to pick this one, he’s got to. I don’t see how a pumpkin patch can be more sincere than this one.

It’s that the great pumpkin rising out of the Pumpkin patch?

Did I faint? What did he leave us? Did he leave us any toys? Version 5.0? 5.6?

For the record, I think it's more a percentage than a straight mileage loss between the two models. My 60 loses about 5 miles per day, not 9, which seems consistent with other 60 owners,

I also have a 60, and have monitored my car when parked during vacation and a business trip. It came with 4.5, and has had 3 variations of it.

During vacation, it was home and plugged in, with the slider set to 50%. It would charge every other night to.top off the vampire losses. Since that charging was at 2 am it was hard to get an exact number for daily vampire loss, but I estimated between 6 and 8 miles lost each day.

For the business trip, I parked at an off-airport lot that advertised 120v outlets for EV charging. But they had tied the outlets into the lighting timers, and for some reason my car never charged (the app just said to check charger power but did nothing when I tapped the start charging button when it was night time. So the car sat for a week without charging. Loss averaged 7.2 miles lost per day.

Unless I missed something, all of those posts that I saw were from people upgrading from 5.0 to 5.6, so still no news of anyone with 4.5 getting the upgrade. FWIW, my car was in service the past couple of days and I asked repeatedly to have 5.6 installed (currently on 4.5) to no avail.

Correct...but, it does mean TM has settled on the 5.6 and is sending it out to other people than beta testers.

So does 5.6 remedy the issue people were having with their GPS? Or does that require a separate visit to the service center?

Good question: Seems that some people had it corrected with an over the air firmware fix while others reported a bad gyro that had to be replaced by a Service Center. It was not only a 5.0 firmware problem.

While I was on v5.0 (1.35.102) my GPS frequently acted up, spinning, showed my car beside the road, in the woods, etc.
After upgrading to v5.6, it did spin for the first couple of minutes driving right after the update, but after that has been rock solid.
I have not been at the service center so this is purely a FW upgrade.