Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bigger design "deficiency" in my mind is how the wipers can't be lifted off the glass due to the way they tuck under the hood. When that area gets jammed up with snow/ice, it's a pain to get it cleared out.

I know on Audis when the car is off you can manually "wipe" the wipers up the windscreen so that you can then fold them outwards away from the car for cleaning etc like traditional wipers. Similarly with the ignition on there is a setting to put the wipers in "service" mode and they jump to half way across the screen. Are the model S wipers "locked" in place when the car is off? Hopefully not otherwise that is a little annoying...

I know on Audis when the car is off you can manually "wipe" the wipers up the windscreen so that you can then fold them outwards away from the car for cleaning etc like traditional wipers. Similarly with the ignition on there is a setting to put the wipers in "service" mode and they jump to half way across the screen. Are the model S wipers "locked" in place when the car is off? Hopefully not otherwise that is a little annoying...

Sorry, I jumped off topic by mentioning this. There is a whole thread on wiper issues, but the short answer is no, there is no facility to stop the wipers part way, and even if you could, the hinge point may still be too far below the hood lip to allow tilting them fully up.

Sorry, I jumped off topic by mentioning this. There is a whole thread on wiper issues, but the short answer is no, there is no facility to stop the wipers part way, and even if you could, the hinge point may still be too far below the hood lip to allow tilting them fully up.

Yeah, sorry for going OT.. and ah, that is a shame. Strange!

I don't really think it's a design flaw. The melted ice had to go somewhere and re-freeze. I have had this experience with heated mirrors and heated glass, for that matter, on many cars. A bigger design "deficiency" in my mind is how the wipers can't be lifted off the glass due to the way they tuck under the hood. When that area gets jammed up with snow/ice, it's a pain to get it cleared out.

I've noticed, when cleaning my car -- which I do way too often, that water does pool up at the bottom of the side rear-view mirror housings. I find myself having to rinse out the housings really well to get rid of all the sudsy water... So maybe they could do a quick re-design which puts more of an incline in the bottom of that housing to make sure it empties out nicely. Sorry for being OT.

I don't really think it's a design flaw. The melted ice had to go somewhere and re-freeze. I have had this experience with heated mirrors and heated glass, for that matter, on many cars. A bigger design "deficiency" in my mind is how the wipers can't be lifted off the glass due to the way they tuck under the hood. When that area gets jammed up with snow/ice, it's a pain to get it cleared out.

Curious if the new "cold weather" option will solve this

or provide a drain hole.

Wouldn't really help in sub-freezing temperatures (water would re-freeze until you just had a big icicle hanging from that hole! When my side mirrors were covered in 1/4" of ice due to the freezing rain, I was glad to have the heat feature clear them so I could see, even though the water froze around the edges and "locked" the mirror in place. Once it warmed up, the ice melted and all was good. As I say, I've experienced this on just about every car I've had with heated mirrors when the ice builds up enough.

I don't know if this was a 4.3 update or even older, but I've noticed now that the rear view camera window repositions itself depending on the pull down menus selected.

uploadfromtaptalk1366112906389.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1366112922139.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk.

I don't know if this was a 4.3 update or even older, but I've noticed now that the rear view camera window repositions itself depending on the pull down menus selected.

That has been the case since several versions back.

I've noticed (with 4.3) that the other displayed page shades when the RV camera is on in reverse. It was not like that when delivered with 4.2.

It has been like that since the very beginning.

V4.4 (1.31.11) seems to fix the problem where cancelling the nav would blank out whatever was on the left side of the dashboard. Now it correctly restores whatever was there before the nav displaced it.

What I find interesting is comments like this. I have not had that problem at all on either 4.2 or 4.3, yet I have had different problems that others have not, which have been "fixed" by updates. What is going on that some people can have problems while others don't, and software updates can fix some people's issues while "breaking" things for others. Are the cars that different? Are there different hardware components from car to car? I've had 4.4 ready to go for a few days now, but have been hesitant to pull the trigger until I see what others have to say.