Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.12.1.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally got upgraded from v5 to 12.1.2 this morn and a few things...

- update from app pretends to work but then just silently fails the update and doesn't tell you why. retry about 100 times and nothing. got in my car to try it manually and it had a message on the screen you need to turn off sentry first. i get it but why the app doesn't say that and why don't they turn it off for you before the update since it specifically says the alarm might be disabled during the update already anyway? in any case the handling of this is poor.

- Update took forever with literally no activity for over 20 min and then lots of clicks and things turning on and off for another 5 min and then i get this red ! and a message saying 'vehicle requires software update, contact service'. it appears hung like this for another 10 min so I finally decide to just try to take it to the local Tesla service center. It still drives but the screen turns off entirely and things act weird about how it drives. I get to the Tesla shop and literally right before parking it reboots itself and then says 'update complete, checking status' red ! and orange alarm clock icons remain and it hangs another 10 min. eventually it reboots again and appears to be updated. Try to explain to Tesla and they think i'm crazy. They stage another update and tell me to come back in half hour. Back and nothing changed but the software tab indicates needs navigation update connect to wifi, it has been connected for over 30 min now and update is at maybe 5%. They told me to just wait so another 30 min and it is at 20% and stopped. Scheduled an appt next week to update via usb because they don't have the required Tesla flash drive.

- Drive home it doesn't feel to drive with any more power and reports same range as before even though they were supposed to have improved these? Entire UI actually looks identical to v5. There are no added menu options for anything like sentry mode always on, etc. the web browser appears the same slow and glitchy one. Absolutely nothing new seemingly.

- Take groceries out of trunk and the trunk light is now flickering randomly.

Is this what they call progress?

• Disagree
Reactions: scottf200
So I finally got upgraded from v5 to 12.1.2 this morn and a few things...

- update from app pretends to work but then just silently fails the update and doesn't tell you why. retry about 100 times and nothing. got in my car to try it manually and it had a message on the screen you need to turn off sentry first. i get it but why the app doesn't say that and why don't they turn it off for you before the update since it specifically says the alarm might be disabled during the update already anyway? in any case the handling of this is poor.

- Update took forever with literally no activity for over 20 min and then lots of clicks and things turning on and off for another 5 min and then i get this red ! and a message saying 'vehicle requires software update, contact service'. it appears hung like this for another 10 min so I finally decide to just try to take it to the local Tesla service center. It still drives but the screen turns off entirely and things act weird about how it drives. I get to the Tesla shop and literally right before parking it reboots itself and then says 'update complete, checking status' red ! and orange alarm clock icons remain and it hangs another 10 min. eventually it reboots again and appears to be updated. Try to explain to Tesla and they think i'm crazy. They stage another update and tell me to come back in half hour. Back and nothing changed but the software tab indicates needs navigation update connect to wifi, it has been connected for over 30 min now and update is at maybe 5%. They told me to just wait so another 30 min and it is at 20% and stopped. Scheduled an appt next week to update via usb because they don't have the required Tesla flash drive.

- Drive home it doesn't feel to drive with any more power and reports same range as before even though they were supposed to have improved these? Entire UI actually looks identical to v5. There are no added menu options for anything like sentry mode always on, etc. the web browser appears the same slow and glitchy one. Absolutely nothing new seemingly.

- Take groceries out of trunk and the trunk light is now flickering randomly.

Is this what they call progress?
It shouldn’t let you drive while the update is happening. Sounds like your install was somehow corrupted.

It shouldn’t let you drive while the update is happening. Sounds like your install was somehow corrupted.

yeah the last 2 updates have done this same monkey game of issuing an error after 20 min and then blanking out for 10 min and rebooting 2 more times. i'm quite sure something is wrong but service doesn't seem capable of discovering the actual issue from any logs or anything. the only thing they did was verify when my car was given the updates and that at the end it said it's ok. but it was clear there is a lot about the process of the update and possible issues during the update they have no visibility into for one reason or another.

I was hoping they could initiate a full on full software re-install including all boot loaders and low level components but they didn't seem to have that ability or maybe just couldn't be bothered about it. It would be nice to have deeper insight into exactly what all the internal processes versions and logs indicate about these issues.

The trunk light flickering is an odd one. Numerous people with that issue, though my new P3D doesn't have it.

My biggest issue with the new update is my iPhone XS Max failing to unlock the doors really often, requiring me to use the app or key card. Super annoying.

The trunk light flickering is an odd one. Numerous people with that issue, though my new P3D doesn't have it.

My biggest issue with the new update is my iPhone XS Max failing to unlock the doors really often, requiring me to use the app or key card. Super annoying.

Try waking the phone up and pulling the door handle again. I find that I don’t even need to unlock the phone, let alone open the app, to get it to open.

Since the last couple of updates, I’ve noticed the high beam turns on during the day if I have auto hi-beam enable. I know I left the house with the headlights turned off.
Anybody else seen this?

Funny, this just happened to me an hour ago. Driving home, noticed the hi-beam icon. Pulled the stalk back to flash them, then it went to regular lights, then turned off. Guy in front of me must've been wondering what the heck I was doing.
The funny part is, I don't have auto hi-beam enabled.

It's supposed to work without doing anything with the phone. ;)

I’m really not sure what you’re trying to say.

Prior to this update, in the 3 days I owned the car I was able to walk up to the door and unlock it. My phone stayed in my pocket the entire time. After the update, quite often the car screen is telling me to tap the keycard to get in. At that point I just either do that or grab my phone and open the app and unlock the car. Do you follow me, now?

I’m really not sure what you’re trying to say.

Prior to this update, in the 3 days I owned the car I was able to walk up to the door and unlock it. My phone stayed in my pocket the entire time. After the update, quite often the car screen is telling me to tap the keycard to get in. At that point I just either do that or grab my phone and open the app and unlock the car. Do you follow me, now?

I've been follow you loud and clear. What I'm asking is if you can get the car to unlock just by waking your phone up, rather than opening the app to unlock it.

I've been follow you loud and clear. What I'm asking is if you can get the car to unlock just by waking your phone up, rather than opening the app to unlock it.

No. I cannot. I used to be able to prior to this firmware, consistently. Now it’s inconsistent at best. Rebooting my phone didn’t fix it. Airplane mode didn’t fix it. Opening the car from the app and then locking it DID fix it (until the next time).

Reactions: Big Earl