Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finding "hidden" Supercharger location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've made the first long trip with our Tesla- a 90 miles trip to Temecula, CA.
Although the car still had 130 miles of charge on it when we got there, enough to get home safely, we decided to recharge in a Temecula's Promonade shopping center before we hit the road back.

It took me some time to find the bloody Tesla supercharger, as it was "hidden" on the 3rd floor of the big and busy parking structure. There were no signs anywhere the the charger are there until we climbed up there and "bumped" into it.
Happy end- we charged within 40 minutes, while walking around at the nice and big shopping center.
TESLA--- PLEASE MARK THE SUPERCHARGERS LOCATION SO THAT WE WANT WASTE TIME DRIVING AROUND...

Apparently, it happens to other visitors to Temecula too- see the video clip here- especially the surprising end from the 9:25 minute point!

I've made the first long trip with our Tesla- a 90 miles trip to Temecula, CA.
Although the car still had 130 miles of charge on it when we got there, enough to get home safely, we decided to recharge in a Temecula's Promonade shopping center before we hit the road back.

It took me some time to find the bloody Tesla supercharger, as it was "hidden" on the 3rd floor of the big and busy parking structure. There were no signs anywhere the the charger are there until we climbed up there and "bumped" into it.
Happy end- we charged within 40 minutes, while walking around at the nice and big shopping center.
TESLA--- PLEASE MARK THE SUPERCHARGERS LOCATION SO THAT WE WANT WASTE TIME DRIVING AROUND...

Apparently, it happens to other visitors to Temecula too- see the video clip here- especially the surprising end from the 9:25 minute point!

I normally turn on satellite view as I get closer to an unknown supercharger to get a better idea ..Temecula I agree is bad location but with lake Elsinore open that is a better place to charge IMO if u are headed back to LA area

There are several locations where the chargers are hard to find. Sometimes there are directions but many times not (and occasionally, the directions are harder to find than the chargers). Satellite view has helped but sometimes the chargers are located in a structure so not visible.

My first time charging was at San Clemente returning from San Diego. It is in an outlet center all the way in the back of the center behind a parking structure. I was driving around the lot following other Teslas hoping one was heading to the SC.

There are several locations where the chargers are hard to find. Sometimes there are directions but many times not (and occasionally, the directions are harder to find than the chargers). Satellite view has helped but sometimes the chargers are located in a structure so not visible.

My first time charging was at San Clemente returning from San Diego. It is in an outlet center all the way in the back of the center behind a parking structure. I was driving around the lot following other Teslas hoping one was heading to the SC.
Took me 2 tries to find San Clemente as well...

Apparently, it happens to other visitors to Temecula too
- see the video clip here- especially the surprising end from the 9:25 minute point!
Every Tesla driver should try how to get in Neutral or Towing mode.

- For Neutral, just go to P and put your feet on the brake pedal
and for one or two seconds press continually the R or the D level until the letter change to N.

What might be confusing is that the car will go first to R but continue pressing and then the car will then go to N.
and idem for D, when in D continue pressing and the car will then go to N.

The driver must stay sitting at the wheels otherwise the system return to P.
Someone else then can easily push the car for emergency or when going to.the car wash.

If you touch the super charger location on the map while in your car and then select information (or something like this) it will sometimes help you find it. Hopefully someone will give better instructions than I did, but that was the best I could remember.
Exactly this.

I went to the Temecula SpC last week and the info on the Nav map said it was on the 3rd floor, so I didn’t waste much time searching for it.

• Informative
Reactions: cstork
I normally turn on satellite view as I get closer to an unknown supercharger to get a better idea ..Temecula I agree is bad location but with lake Elsinore open that is a better place to charge IMO if u are headed back to LA area

When you use naivation and put the display on trip view (with the sideway S icon) the screen will automatically maximize as you go and will give you a clear view of the area when you get close. I find it very useful to find an unfamiliar place including a new supercharger.

This is the first SC I had ever used (I was not even an owner then, Buena Park loaned me an S overnight trying to up sell me back in Jan.) I am not sure how I found it I can't remember?, I do remember driving straight to it so it seems there must be something there no? maybe it was on the screen as I did navigate to it from the car.

Last edited:
Folsom Palladio was also 'hidden' from me, until I drove around the whole plaza once and saw the red supercharger lights glowing from inside the parking garage.

Now I know. ;)
I also took the long route to find that one. Nevertheless, I consider the hunt part of the fun! In the case of Temecula I just drove up the parking garage until I blundered across the Superchargers. The trickiest was Flagstaff because the nav directions were flat wrong. That's a case where researching the site in advance would have helped.

Folsom Palladio was also 'hidden' from me, until I drove around the whole plaza once and saw the red supercharger lights glowing from inside the parking garage.

Now I know. ;)
I also took the long route to find that one! Nevertheless, I consider the hunt part of the fun! In the case of Temecula I just drove up the parking garage until I blundered across the Superchargers. The trickiest was Flagstaff because the nav directions were flat wrong. That's a case where researching the site in advance would have helped.

I also took the long route to find that one! Nevertheless, I consider the hunt part of the fun! In the case of Temecula I just drove up the parking garage until I blundered across the Superchargers. The trickiest was Flagstaff because the nav directions were flat wrong. That's a case where researching the site in advance would have helped.

Yeah, sometimes it is fun. Sometimes the old kidneys are screaming for mercy, and it is not so fun!

I have encountered more "unnamed road" references due to the connector roads in large parking lots or structures. It appears that Tesla relies solely upon the software of the navigation system it uses to direct us to the Superchargers. It seems to me that Tesla could add a short sentence that gives us more precise directions. For example, Temecula should say, "located on third floor of parking garage behind XYZ." Folsom Palladio could advise us, "make a right immediately upon entering the parking structure, and the Superchargers are in the southeast corner."

If the Supercharger information that appears on the screen can notify us of $.50/minute idle fees, X of Y stalls available, and up to 120kW, it should also be able to give us a brief description as to the precise location of the Superchargers.

Thanks Gavine- PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You is really a good Chargers Finding Website.
In particular i liked the easy to use, informative Trip Planner option,
and the useful contribution of many EV car users that add to the accuracy of the info posted.

Note: Tesla is not listed in the list of 'Networks', you need to select 'Others' and 'Supercharger' which might be not so obvious.

PlgShare - Tesla Supercharger Setting  'Others' .jpg

PlugShare is a good resource for finding the chargers. Here's what PlugShare says about the Temecula charger:

"I-15 exit 61. 3rd Floor in Parking structure behind the the theater and lazy dog, next to the elevator."

It's good idea to check PlugShare before visiting for detials as well as pictures which also help.

Agree on Plugshare for that kind of detailed info on location within garages or shopping centers.