Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So PenFed told me that they are not financing any electric cars - including Tesla. Are there magic words I need to say or specific contacts there that may help?

Hmm... very strange. I went through the web application flow and when entering the vehicle's details, I simply entered 2012, Tesla, Model S along with Tesla's corporate HQ address (as seen on the MVPA) as the dealer address. I saved the app then but, it was already scheduled to go through the approval process by then (step 2, I believe).

No worries otherwise; it was first conditionally approved with a note online saying that I needed to send in the purchase order with the total price and the amount being financed. I sent in the MVPA at that point by email.

Got a callback a few days later indicating that the application was approved and that they just needed the VIN at that point. Talked to a Suzie at their main contact number 1-800-247-5626 and confirmed that everything looked good and that I had 90 days to provide the VIN and get a check from them.

I went with USAA. They are offering 2.49% for 60 months, 2.99% for 72 months for new auto loans over $35k. You get .25% knocked off if you set up auto-pay from your USAA account. Filled out the application on-line, printed, signed and faxed back pre-closing docs, then finalized and got a Dealer Electronic Check PDF that I was able to send to Tesla. Tesla fills that out and sends it back to USAA with the purchase agreement to get the money. Pretty straightforward and no human interaction required on the bank side. I did have to check the "I don't know what car I'm buying" box because Tesla wasn't in the drop down list.

Got the approval for the loan from PenFed a couple of days ago for 1.49% for 60 months. I was able to give them the pre-delivery MVPA and indicated the amount I wanted to finance. They simply need the VIN number now for disbursal. The loan's locked in for 90 days so, hopefully, I'll get my delivery notification sometime in November/early December.

It was a smooth process, all done online and by email.

I had the same experience. I am just awaiting the VIN from Tesla for disbursal. Very impressed with PenFed.

I went with USAA. They are offering 2.49% for 60 months, 2.99% for 72 months for new auto loans over $35k. You get .25% knocked off if you set up auto-pay from your USAA account. Filled out the application on-line, printed, signed and faxed back pre-closing docs, then finalized and got a Dealer Electronic Check PDF that I was able to send to Tesla. Tesla fills that out and sends it back to USAA with the purchase agreement to get the money. Pretty straightforward and no human interaction required on the bank side. I did have to check the "I don't know what car I'm buying" box because Tesla wasn't in the drop down list.
I'm seeing 1.45% at USAA right now until mid Oct. That may be just for a 24 or 48 month loan I guess, but I haven't checked. Glad to hear the process was so easy though. Did you send the Dealer Electronic Check along with a personal/bank check or just do the entire amount on the loan? I have the cash for the majority, but will need a USAA loan for about 1/4 of the cost.

Financing page is up

Financing | Tesla Motors

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348886340.153192.jpg

I had the same experience. I am just awaiting the VIN from Tesla for disbursal. Very impressed with PenFed.

That's odd, PenFed sent me a packet with the promissory note and a check (made out to Tesla) before I had the VIN. Looks like I just sign the paperwork, add the VIN, hand the check over, then send a copy of the registration (with the lien) within 90 days. I've honestly been shocked with how easy it's been**.

** Knock on wood, hopefully they don't move the decimal point or something.

That's odd, PenFed sent me a packet with the promissory note and a check (made out to Tesla) before I had the VIN. Looks like I just sign the paperwork, add the VIN, hand the check over, then send a copy of the registration (with the lien) within 90 days. I've honestly been shocked with how easy it's been**.

Odd indeed. Not that it should matter in terms of timing but, your way seems smoother. I've received nothing by snail mail so far from PenFed; everything's been online...

PenFed told me I'm approved, but they need a copy of the "Final" MVPA, before they can disburse the funds. Did they request a Final MVPA from you before they sent the check? I don't see how a final MVPA can be generated without the VIN...