Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally drove a Model Y…it was incredible!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Darmie: So, you haven't read the numerous posts here from those that regret buying the MYP, because of the harshness of the lowered suspension? :D

Part of that harshness comes from the 21 inch wheels with tiny sidewalls. My M3P was also pretty harsh until I downsized to 18s and now the ride is pretty good. Its not hard to sell the 21s and get some 19s (or 20s) and get a better ride.

Frankly, I feel my M3P is too slow especially having been in some P100Ds. I wish I had a bit more speed especially top end. Everyone is different.

I never recall an owner of a performance variant wishing they had the non performance tesla nor traded it in for one. I have however known several that sold their non performance and purchase a performance an M3 or MY. Of course this was a while ago when the used car market was on🔥. When bring that much doe to the table, might as well call, and bring home the prize.
I would be the poster child of unhappy with a facet of my car's performance (MS LR) and bought the faster one (Plaid). If I had kept my Y, I would have dumped it an bought the MYP. The M3 LR with boost is my Goldilocks car, even then though it needed boost to get it where I wanted it.

As for ride quality of the MYP, I agree it is the tires causing most of the issue. Not to mention the base MY isn't a great riding vehicle, even on 19's. If I had kept my Y, or bought the MYP, I'd have swapped out the suspension for MPP or equivalent in a heartbeat. My friend who bought my Y, is already considering doing it as he isn't happy with the ride quality. At least there is an option to do so.

Reactions: CuriousWren
No, insane acceleration

Don’t get me wrong, I was a fast car person once
Then in trucks for the last 20 years
Think they chilled me out

Coupled with me in the tight populated areas of the NE USA think the insane acceleration of rhe MYP need big open spaces or a track to run

My advice for the P versions of both MY and M3, you need the space to run these
Otherwise go with LRs and EAP

Just my opinion

Btw, my 2023s 3 and Y, no suspension issues

I'll just add another point for people new to the EV game. Almost all Teslas will not meet their claimed performance specs unless they are close to fully charged. Let's say 95% or better. If you want to minimize battery degradation, you'll want to be around a 50% average state of charge (SoC) if you have a long range or P version (non-LFP battery).

So maybe you charged up to 60% for the day, return home about 40%, your avg SoC will be about 50%. No point charging up to 80-90% if you are only going to drive 50 miles for the day. Extra wear and tear on your battery for nothing. High states of charge, in high temps, cause very rapid battery degradation so don't charge up the car to 90% and let it set for days in hot weather. Never good to do in general, but hot weather is very detrimental to battery health.

Keeping your battery avg SoC lower, your degradation will be less. My M3 and MS LR, had less than 1% degradation in 15 months of ownership and about 9k miles. My MY LR which is about 30 months old, 55k miles now, has 6% degradation. Most of its degradation occurred before I had good charging hygiene. It has also seen a lot of supercharger use. All cars are in a very hot climate Texas. If you want to know more, search for posts by AAKEE. He has done more research on this than me. I read some posts by him a few years ago and altered my charging habits and the results are obvious.

The downside to a lower SoC is the power output is reduced and your acceleration times are impacted. At about 50% SoC, on my MY LR with boost, I had lost about 0.4-0.5 seconds off the 0-60 time. Basically with boost, at 50% SoC, it was a little quicker than stock at 100% SoC and no boost. The impact on the 0-60 times is less however than the impact on acceleration at higher speeds.

The only car so far I didn't see this happen to, was my 2022 MS LR. It didn't really care what the SoC was as the battery pack was built for the Plaid with about 50% more power so no problem keeping the LR going even at a reduced SoC. I don't have enough data on my Plaid to say and it is quick as hell regardless so less of a concern anyway.

That was one of the biggest benefits of boost on my 3 and Y is that even at low SoC, they were better than stock every was fresh off the charge. The MYP and M3P start quicker but even at 50%, they are still fun to drive. All the 3's and Y's at about 60-70 mph are going to definitely feel more sluggish accelerating when at a 50% charge. The MS LR again was almost the same as 100% charge. Not enough data on my Plaid to draw any inclusions. I can saw that even at a 30% charge, it is faster than my MS LR ever was at any speed range.

Reactions: Apprunner
So, the performance, 100% has a stiffer suspension?
Want to verify, as we may be in the market for a new Y in the next few weeks, and do not want a stiff suspension.

I've heard some say it's the same, some it's different.

thanks
I have MYP and I find zero issues with the suspension.. several of my friends have the LR.. I love the ride.. I think people overexaggerate when they comment on suspension feels in general.. granted I am 32 and dont have any back or limb issues so that rules out some folk's problems.. its a 2023 and I know they recieved some sort of comfort upgrade.. but the YP is the way to go in my opinion.. only benefits are received when choosing it for not too much of a price difference... factor in tax credit eligibility and you can pretty much get the upgrade for free...

• Informative
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
I think almost all Tesla (excluding Plaid) generally feel deceptively slow compared to the times they are running. It is because the acceleration is very linear. There aren't any torque peaks in the rev range that you get with an ICE vehicle. In a quick ICE car there might be peaks of acceleration that are higher than the relative plateau of acceleration you get with a Tesla.

In other words an ICE car that can run 3.5 seconds 0-60, might at times be pulling harder than a Tesla that runs the same times would. Part of the feel can be the hard launch with an ICE before it breaks traction. With the ICE car there will be times the power will be lower when before and after the torque peak. such as when approaching shift points. Of course Tesla likely does torque limiting to some extent but it is very smoothed out by comparison.

The Plaid just slams you back until you are way up in triple digits when you are hard on it. Honestly the MS LR feels pretty good too at around 50-100. Sort of like a 750 sport bike (GSXR750 as an example). The Plaid is pulling like a ZX14R or Hayabusa by comparison.

I have MYP and I find zero issues with the suspension.. several of my friends have the LR.. I love the ride.. I think people overexaggerate when they comment on suspension feels in general.. granted I am 32 and dont have any back or limb issues so that rules out some folk's problems.. its a 2023 and I know they recieved some sort of comfort upgrade.. but the YP is the way to go in my opinion.. only benefits are received when choosing it for not too much of a price difference... factor in tax credit eligibility and you can pretty much get the upgrade for free...
Anyone gone from a 2019 3 to a 2023 Y Perf? I.. basically hate my wife's 3 suspension. Love my Xs.

Then go drive a non-Tesla. This is a non-Tesla owner that I'm trying to convey information to.

And just because I was expecting someone to add a snyde remark, that's why I explicitly said

Even the slowest Tesla is probably going to leave all of your other cars in the dust.

I try not to confuse people with real questions
Everything except the standard range Model Y RWD. That thing is just slow lol (6.9 seconds 0-60)

I test drove the y performance last week. It was also Amazing. I love the look. My only concern is suspension comfort. I’m trying to erase the deficits I have with my model 3 with my next Tesla purchase if ever.
MPP suspension is a great option for either the Y or the 3. That is what I put on my 3 LR to up it a notch.
Good comparison but the plaid is even way faster than the busa :/... I have a 750 gsxr, you as well?
Showing my age here but my riding days go back to the original OG GSXR. I both both the 750 and 1100 when they came out; 1986. Then bought a ton of them between then and now, but trending toward electric for bikes as well. I have a HD LiveWire, Ducati 1260S Multistrada, H2 SX and ZH2 Kawasakis and a few others. Motorcycles are my real passion but my wife feels more comfortable (understandably so) if I take the kid for a quick ride in the car instead of on the motorcycle.

The insane heat in Texas really limited my riding in the summer. WIth the LiveWire I am not having my chestnuts roasted at every light if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
LR is plenty fast., even without the boost. Changed how I perceive gaps in traffic.

Very rarely I'll get on it at a light, if someone wants to go fast. Never lost (about 5 times in 18 months), until a Porsche behind me kept up. I realized it was the fast EV Porsche later as he passed me. Gave him a peace sign and he smiled and nodded. Wife was not too happy we were doing 70 in a 45 zone (but a closed highway, it was safe). And she agreed to race the dude before, so OK.

My favorite was a mid 2000's Chevy GT something or other (sporty version of something). He was really on it, trying to beat me to a merge. I wasn't even really pushing it, lots of driveways and parking lots around. Only took about 5mm more go pedal to get by him.

The Tesla definitely made me more of a a---- driver sometimes. (literally maybe 5 times in 18 months).
MYLR here. I drive fairly fast on the interstate, ie mostly left lane very few passing me but not much faster than the flow. I see a lot more Tesla’s of all types these days but not many going particularly fast. Get it out of your system and you find chill mode to be plenty.

Reactions: OxBrew