Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fewer AVCON charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I'll ask my question again. Do we know how many Avcon users are out there? (Not how many different types of vehicles might use the connectors, I mean actual drivers using the charging stations.) Maybe EVnut knows?

Why is this question SO important to you? Is it a precursor to declaring the Avcon obsolete? When the day comes that there are more Roadsters than Avcon vehicles does it tip some scale?

Why is this question SO important to you? Is it a precursor to declaring the Avcon obsolete? When the day comes that there are more Roadsters than Avcon vehicles does it tip some scale?
Heh... it's not particularly important to me personally. I was just curious if replacing Avcon stations with Tesla HPCs is a Pareto improvement or not. A helpful factor in making that determination is having an idea of the number of Avcon users still out there, which is why I asked. I asked a second time since a collection of pictures of different cars in history that used the Avcon connector doesn't really answer my question.

Lets put it this way - is there any way to charge a RangerEV from a Tesla charge station today?
I don't believe it has been done. But I've been wrong before.

The AVCON is considered the most basic "charger" (in quotes, because these are not chargers, of course) we have. And it is why we're fighting to keep them. The Avcon can be converter to a 220V outlet that can then be used to charge *anything* - including the inductive cars like mine if you schlep your charger along with you and hook it to an adapter box. There are many people who think we should just be supplying 14-50 outlets everywhere to go one step even MORE basic. But for various reasons I don't think that's gonna fly.

How much does that cost? Where can I buy it?
That's a great question for which I don't have the answer. :( But if you asked on the Ranger email list, I'll bet you can get your answer. Mine came with my truck, and I sold it with the truck.

(Also, when you say "any 240V/30A" source I think you mean any 240V with 40-50amp breaker that can be adapted to NEMA14-50.)
Not really. All you need is 30A. That's what I did the bulk of my charging on. A 30A breaker. Yes for a permanent install, it should be a 40A breaker to be up to code. You hurt nothing and make nothing more dangerous by using a 30A breaker. If anything, you are even being safer that way. And of course depending on what plug you have on the end of the thing, you may need to adapt to the outlet that's provided.

Last edited:
A helpful factor in making that determination is having an idea of the number of Avcon users still out there, which is why I asked.

Probably the only thing we can say for certain is that the number of AVCON cars will now decrease, and the number of Tesla/J1772 cars will be increasing. Please note that these new Telsa stations are really being considered "placeholders" for when the standard connector finally comes available.

I do believe that we'll be replacing some inductive chargers with Tesla chargers soon - if it hasn't yet happened. Once Tom gets on here, he'll be able to field these questions way better than I.

TEG said:
(Also, when you say "any 240V/30A" source I think you mean any 240V with 40-50amp breaker that can be adapted to NEMA14-50.)

Not really. All you need is 30A. That's what I did the bulk of my charging on. A 30A breaker. Yes for a permanent install, it should be a 40A breaker to be up to code. You hurt nothing and make nothing more dangerous by using a 30A breaker. If anything, you are even being safer that way. And of course depending on what plug you have on the end of the thing, you may need to adapt to the outlet that's provided.

This sort of position - that you can ignore the code and pull current continuously through a circuit at the rated capacity of the breaker really seems wrong to me. I think the 80% rule is there for a reason, not just something to scoff at. Some of the home brew folks had been "experimenting" with the Avcons using variable current draw power supplies, and found that they could pull 40amps from some of the Avcons before the over-current protection kicked in or the circuit breaker blew. In a quest for quicker charging, just a turn of the dial away, they figured they could bend that safety margin and just do what seems to work. The problem is that what works then may not work when it gets hotter... Or it may slowly cook the EVSE or the breaker. I found some Avcons marked out of comission and later the problem reported was "burnt breaker". Not just tripped, but damaged and had to be replaced. Now we have Tesla adapters ready to draw 40amps through the Avcons again. Do people realize that it is a lot more than the level 2 current they were designed to provide?

http://www.cleanfuelconnection.com/tech_documents/ICS-200B Installation Guide.pdf
...Each charge station requires a dedicated 208 or 240 VAC, 50/60 HZ, single-phase, 40 amp circuit (60 amp optional)...
PFC Charger testimonials
> I went a few miles down El Camino to plug in at the Mt.
> View Costco. I connected the PFC-50 to their AVCON ics-200
> via my AVCON adpator I got from the EAA Electric Auto Association - Electric Vehicles and Cars
> (merchandise page).
>
> I set the PFC-50 to draw 30 AC amps and got 37 amps into my
> pack as it was a 208VAC feed. With in a minute and a half
> the ics-200 turned off with a red led and the synth-o
> woman's voice said over current
(slap-slap-slap).
>
> On a 40 amp circuit, you should be able to get 32 amps AC
> out of it by Electrical code. A previous POST by a evi
> representative said the ics-200 was spec'd at providing 32
> amps.

>
> I figured if I set the PFC-50 to 30 amps AC, the ics-200
> AVCON should not have a problem. So, I chose to test the
> PFC-50 at 30 amps AC off the evi AVCON ics-200.
>...
I know you have way more experience with this kind of thing, so who am I to talk, right? But it still seems wrong. It seemed to me like people were doing 'experiments' on the public chargers, then complaining that they were unreliable. Then the places that maintained them got annoyed at having to reset or replace the breakers repeatedly.

If I built a Tesla to Avcon adapter (to plug a RangerEV into a Tesla HPC) should I 'try it out' on the public Tesla charge spots and see if it works?! (I wouldn't do that) That is basically what was done to the public Avcon stations.

Last edited:
I meant a cheap and lightweight Avcon charging station....By comparison of the other chargers I've used, this is convenient, light weight and cheap. And plugs into any 240V/30A source.
powerpak01.jpg

Um, I don't really consider that "cheap and lightweight". I bet it would cost hundreds of dollars. And takes two hands to carry easily.
I was thinking more along the lines of a simple connector adapter in the spirit of something like this:
1123TSR7ECL._SL500_AA150_.jpg

Or even these:
adapters.jpg

This sort of position - that you can ignore the code and pull current continuously through a circuit at the rated capacity of the breaker really seems wrong to me. I think the 80% rule is there for a reason, not just something to scoff at. Some of the home brew folks had been "experimenting" with the Avcons using variable current draw power supplies...
I'm not advocating screwing with current draw on existing infrastructure. What I'm suggesting has nothing to do with that. The code has the 80% rule for *permanent* installations. The the main reason is so the breaker doesn't trip so darn often. The last place that I had a circuit installed, the difference between a 40A nad 30A circuit was... the breaker. The wire gauge was the same. The capability of the cuicuit was identical - except for the breaker. When I travel with my charger, I plug it into 30A circuits more often than any other size - because this is what electric dryers have. Before anything starts to melt, the breaker, of course, is supposed to protect the circuit. Again - I'm not talking about fooling with existing chargers. I'm just talking about plugging my chargers into an appropriate circuit. Again - the 80% rule is for permanent installations. There's no code against plugging in a 12A draw to a 12A 120V outlet, and there is no code against plugging in a 27A draw into a 30A circuit.

powerpak01.jpg

Um, I don't really consider that "cheap and lightweight". I bet it would cost hundreds of dollars. And takes two hands to carry easily.
As I said - relative to all other chargers I've ever used for my cars, this one is cheap and light. Hundreds of dollars? Yes of course. That's cheap, my friend. New SPI's are $6,000 now.

Guess what? Those adapters cost me more than the Ranger charger. Just the L6-30 ends are $25-$30 *each.* But anyway...

Avcon inlet adapters

Why do they say "don't bother buying them?" If they don't want them, let's get them into the hands of folks who will use them. The Avcon inlets are getting scarce.... Many Tesla drivers (including JB and other Tesla employees) have found them quite useful on long trips.

Why do they say "don't bother buying them?" If they don't want them, let's get them into the hands of folks who will use them. The Avcon inlets are getting scarce.... Many Tesla drivers (including JB and other Tesla employees) have found them quite useful on long trips.

Hi Tom -

I too, would like to hear more about why the Avcon adapater boxes are not worth owning. At every major event where we have lots of cars, those boxes are almost always pressed into service. And as those inlets are limited, I hope that the folks who find no use for them put them back up for sale.

I'm not advocating screwing with current draw on existing infrastructure. What I'm suggesting has nothing to do with that. The code has the 80% rule for *permanent* installations. The the main reason is so the breaker doesn't trip so darn often. The last place that I had a circuit installed, the difference between a 40A nad 30A circuit was... the breaker. The wire gauge was the same. The capability of the cuicuit was identical - except for the breaker. When I travel with my charger, I plug it into 30A circuits more often than any other size - because this is what electric dryers have. Before anything starts to melt, the breaker, of course, is supposed to protect the circuit. Again - I'm not talking about fooling with existing chargers.

Yeah, my biggest problem was with people trying to see how much current they could pull through the EVI ICS-200s. Those PFC-50 chargers going through the EAA adapter box seemed to be easily capable of overloading the overcurrent protection in either the charge pedistal or the breaker behind it. Recently I had seen advice passed around suggesting that it was OK to plug the Roadster Foundtry 40amp cable into the EAA adapter and try to pull 40amps through the Avcon charge pedistals. As far as I know that is more current then they were designed to handle. Note, there was some optional higher current version, but as far as I know basically all of the public ICS-200s were 32amp versions with a 40amp breaker behind it.

My school of thought is that breakers and overcurrent protectors are not meant to be tripped except in cases where equipment failed, or someone did something wrong. I don't think it should be a 'normal' procedure to start loading up a circuit until something trips just to test what current load it can handle. For one, the protection circuits aren't always 100% reliable at tripping at the correct current, and another is that I think they wear out the more you set them off.

Also, your example of plugging the Ranger into a dryer outlet with a 30amp breaker sounds like abusing the breaker to me as well. In my experience if you pull full rated load through some breaker long enough it can do slow "cooking" of the breaker and cause it to stop offering proper protection.

Personally I would only ever plug my RangerEV into something that has either a 40 or 50 amp breaker behind it. And if I had to do mobile charging I would look for a NEMA14-50, not a NEMA10-30. I want to be "nice" to the wiring, overcurrent protection circuits, and circuit breakers in the circuit I am using.

The reasons for not buying the box that converts the old Avcon charger connector to a Tesla MC240 cable to fill a Roadster are that, it does not get used much since the Roadster goes very far on a charge, cost, weight, hassle, and that if you can get by without it for the next "few months" there will be many more Tesla charge stations available.

The usual reasons for not adapting to old technology. The the bad news that these new J connectors will probably change again in 10 years. Usually by the time a standard is agreed upon it's outdated the day it comes out and that is the day new comities are formed to replace it.

Gas pump nozzles haven't changed standards in a long time. NEMA5-15 and 14-50 haven't change in a long time either. Some standards can last. It is too bad that standards like NEMA14-50 don't offer pilot signals, finger-touch safety, and connect/disconnect cycles to be accepted as a mainstream EV charge interconnect.

Avcon inlet to 14-50 adapters

The reasons for not buying the box that converts the old Avcon charger connector to a Tesla MC240 cable to fill a Roadster are that, it does not get used much since the Roadster goes very far on a charge, cost, weight, hassle, and that if you can get by without it for the next "few months" there will be many more Tesla charge stations available.

The usual reasons for not adapting to old technology. The the bad news that these new J connectors will probably change again in 10 years. Usually by the time a standard is agreed upon it's outdated the day it comes out and that is the day new comities are formed to replace it.

The main use of the Avcon inlet to 14-50 adapter would be road trips within public Avcon territory, by Roadster drivers who have some form of MC-240. I've seen reports of use in places like Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Malibu, Rohnert Park (near Santa Rosa), etc. There are other places like Truckee, Tahoe City, Auburn, where these adapters could be useful. For the driver who doesn't take such road trips, or who doesn't have access to some form of MC240 kit, this adapter would not be useful. True, some of these places will be getting Tesla charging stations in the next few months.

My school of thought is that breakers and overcurrent protectors are not meant to be tripped except in cases where equipment failed, or someone did something wrong.
Correct. And after more than eight years of somewhat regularly charging from dryer circuits, I have *never* tripped a 30A breaker by charging any of my production EVs. Because none of them draws 30A.

I don't think it should be a 'normal' procedure to start loading up a circuit until something trips just to test what current load it can handle.
I agree and I've not advocated that.

Also, your example of plugging the Ranger into a dryer outlet with a 30amp breaker sounds like abusing the breaker to me as well. In my experience if you pull full rated load through some breaker long enough...
Charging a Ranger (or an EV1 or a Rav4EV or an S10) on a 30A circuit does not pull the fully-reated load of a 30A breaker. None of these chargers draws 30A. Trying to continuously pull 30A out of a 30A circuit would be frustrating at best, and foolish at worst. The chargers are all regulated below 30A.

Some of the things I do with EVs can be considered "on the edge." Charging them from a 30A circuit is not one of those edgy items. My plasma cutter can draw 37A, and I regularly, safely and legally plug it into my 40A circuit all the time. You are wise to only do what you are comfortable with doing. If you are one day otherwise stranded somewhere, your comfort level may adjust a bit. ;)

Last edited:
Correct. And after more than eight years of somewhat regularly charging from dryer circuits, I have *never* tripped a 30A breaker by charging any of my production EVs. Because none of them draws 30A.

Charging a Ranger (or an EV1 or a Rav4EV or an S10) on a 30A circuit does not pull the fully-reated load of a 30A breaker. None of these chargers draws 30A.

Well there is a big source of our "disconnect". I assumed that they did pull 32A. Aren't they considered "Level 2" charging equipment?

Everywhere I look about the Level 2 chargers shows 32A draw through 40AMP+ breaker.

PWP Web : EV Program - Charging Information
Level 2
Voltage (VAC) 208/240
Current (Amps) 32
Power (kVA) 6.7/7.7
Freq. (Hz) 60
Phase Single
Standard SAE J1772/3
http://www.mass.gov/Eoca/docs/doer/charger1.pdf
Overcurrent Protection
Level 2 Note: A minimum 40 amp, two-pole circuit breaker located in the meter panel breaker section will meet this requirement if no additional loads are on the circuit.
B.2
Electrical Service Upgrades
Level 2 charging systems have a 40A circuit breaker with a 32A load at 240V
single phase.
Ford Ranger Level 2 AVCON
Level 2 Charging - high-power charging, which is 240 volts, 40 amps in the United States. The maximum power supplied for Level 2 Charging shall conform to the values shown: Nominal Supply Voltage 208-240 V. AC single phase; Maximum Continuous Current 32 amps; Branch Circuit Protection 40 amps; Nominal Continuous Power 6.66-7.68 kVA.

Last edited:
Well there is a big source of our "disconnect". I assumed that they did pull 32A. Aren't they considered "Level 2" charging equipment?

32A is the MAXIMUM current for a Level 2 EVSE (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment) on a 40A circuit. The latest definition for Level 2 goes all the way up to 80A on a 100A circuit.

The small-paddle inductive chargers draw 27A maximum, measured with a good ammeter. The Ranger EV (I used to have one) draws even less.

"Continuous" loads are not to exceed 80% of the circuit rating, per the National Electric Code. The Code defines a continuous load as "A load where the maximum current is expected to continue for three hours or more." Electric vehicle charging loads are specifically defined as continuous loads.

The Code covers installations and installed equipment, not appliances that are temporarily connected to the installation by plugging into receptacles. UL covers the appliances.

Most conductive public charging stations are EVI ICS-200 models. Those have internal current-monitoring circuitryk that is self-resetting. Drawing more than 32A for more than a short time will cause the charging station to disconnect temporarily. It will try again after a few minutes, or it can be reset by removing the claw from the inlet and reinserting it. So, for those charging stations, it should not be possible to trip the breaker, which may be inaccessible. It's also not possible to draw more than 32A from the 40a circuit that feeds the ICS-200.

Here is a thought - perhaps those EAA Avcon converter boxes should have had something other than a NEMA14-50 on the side? Like maybe a NEMA10-30?
That way some people wouldn't assume they can draw 40 amps through them.

For example, Martin's Roadster adapter apparently sets the pilot signal for 40 amps when you put a NEMA14-50 cable into his box. If you used the NEMA10-30 cable then it would send a 24 amp pilot signal which would be more friendly to the ICS-200.