Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feel slighted by Tesla rant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my dialogues captured in various forms so ill let the attorney make the case.

Its worth way more than $20/ yr, have you not used supercharging before? And its perpetual.
Others that are on multiple cars are most likely leasing so their opinions means nothing. Its funny how the consumers today allow them to get away with this bs

Obviously the owner isn't happy and exaggerated his displeasure by stating "Tesla is a Scam". Who hasn't embellished when trying to emphasize their point? Regardless of the OP's misguided description, his/her complaint is still a valid one. For the Tesla fanboy's, once you get over the butt hurt of the OP's comments that are critical of your beloved Tesla, he/she is absolutely correct in that Tesla's customer service has suffered significantly over the past couple of years. Take a few minutes to read the various forums and there are way too many examples of complaints from existing owners. I love the cars, have had many of them. But I myself am also disappointed with how difficult some simple tasks have become with Tesla. Clearly not enough to keep me from buying the cars, but I can see where many owners would be put off. Tesla does things their way and have a very "my way or the highway" attitude or "don't like it?, tough!". Not real becoming. Supercharging is one issue that's come up for many. They advertised free-supercharging for life on their early cars, now decided to remove it from any cars they take ownership of. I too, on one of my other cars, had free unlimited supercharging changed to Pay per Use without notice and no explanation other than "we changed it, deal with it". Again, not real pleasant.

Tesla has been the only game in town for 7 years. But with some valid competitors coming to market, things like Customer Service are going to be a factor in decision making from new customers. But even still, Tesla is still well ahead of the competitors offerings. Tesla hasn't been the greatest to existing owners. Even with my recent purchase, they called daily, returned calls / emails immediately, were very helpful during the process of the purchase. As soon as I took delivery, nothing but crickets! No replies to e-mails, pulled teeth to get someone on the phone, etc. Supercharging was one of the issues. My car was supposed to have it, and it didn't. Took over a month to get the issue resolved. Several other simple issues over the years that were made unnecessarily complicated.

Having had many Tesla's since just after their beginning, I've learned, get everything in writing and keep it. That's good advice for life in general. But with Tesla, it's especially important. I had it in writing, however the people I originally reached tried to tell me I wasn't getting it. I had to deal with wasting time to prove that I was promised Free Unlimited Supercharging. Why was it my problem? Because they made it my problem. Time is valuable. Didn't appreciate having to deal with it when, if they just did what they said they'd do, I would have been happy. Have had many other similar issues over the years with them. I love the cars too much to give them up and have learned how to work around most of Tesla's shortcomings on the Customer Service side, but really should have to.

I hope they improve. They're so amazing at so many things with potential beyond imagination. Just a matter of sorting out the things that are actually relatively simple to fix, like Customer Service issues.

For context, I'm not one that likes texting every damn thing or talking to automated systems when I call. I can spend 10 seconds voicing what my call is about, versus having to spend a full minute typing it out in a text. One time, not a big deal, but when having to deal with 50 of these things per day, that extra 50 seconds adds up. Same thing with voice automated systems. Takes forever to get through all the verification responses, only to have the person that eventually picks up 10 minutes later, ask all the same damn questions the computer just tortured me through. Tesla has very much tried to automate everything. For some things, automation is great. But, I don't believe I'm the only one that buys a premium car and expects to have a high, or even just acceptable, level of customer service. That means being able to reach someone with simple questions rather than getting the runaround by a computer for 10, 15, 30 minutes and still not get your question answered, one that could have been answered by a human in about 5 seconds. Scheduling a service appointment was annoying as hell last time. Had to schedule twice online, only for it to tell me soonest available was three weeks out. Tried calling, told to "use the app". After all that, they called two days before my appointment to say they can do a home service call, which was what I wanted from the start, but wasn't an option available using the app. For another issue, was told that it would take over a month to get someone out to me. The human that called said "oh no, we'll have someone there tomorrow" and they did. Why couldn't I have just done that the first time I tried?? Things like that are what I'm referring to.

OK, this got WAY longer than expected. Moving on. Key points, "get it in writing", "hope Tesla improves". And one more piece of advice, if you're resilient enough, you can actually get a human on the phone and it does make a BIG difference at actually getting your issue resolved. Can however be time consuming in getting that human on the phone, but is worth it.

Last edited:
I have my dialogues captured in various forms so ill let the attorney make the case.

Its worth way more than $20/ yr, have you not used supercharging before? And its perpetual.
Others that are on multiple cars are most likely leasing so their opinions means nothing. Its funny how the consumers today allow them to get away with this bs
No it's not perpetual it's only for the life of the car !

I have two scams and have become so attached to them that I don’t think I could ever buy a non scam car ever again.

Having said that, I will agree that Tesla customer service has gone down of late.
For me, the service has been consistently good for going on seven years now. The communication is a bit lacking, particularly with the messed up phone tree starting a couple of months ago--though the worst of that has now been corrected. But people have been complaining about communication since day one, so that really hasn't changed all that much. I suspect a lot of the "service has gone down" (where it's actually referring to service rather than communication) depends upon the location. Because of the rapid growth, the number of new employees far exceeds the number of long term employees.

purchased my car in 2018 with referral, ordered in July, got the car in mid-September but rejected it due to paint defects. Owner Advisor found a replacement car and delivered it to me early October with the premise that I could still have free unlimited supercharging (it was showing in my account all this time). Now Tesla has removed it without any notification (starting in January and they initially brushed it off as a system error), now my Owner Advisor left and they refuse to give me unlimited supercharging a year after.

BUYER BEWARE!! Their customer service is the worse I've seen. Thought I'd share it with others but will be speaking with my lawyer shortly.
1) Tesla advises against persistent use of superchargers
2) Whoever told you you'd get free supercharging for life likely used to be a used car salesman. Tesla is very clear about who gets free supercharging. And you weren't one of them.
3) What makes Tesla different is it's a software based car in that there are rules so the software knows what cars qualify vs a salesman wink and nod.
So go get your lawyer, hold your breath until you turn blue. You still won't get free supercharging.

1) Tesla advises against persistent use of superchargers
2) Whoever told you you'd get free supercharging for life likely used to be a used car salesman. Tesla is very clear about who gets free supercharging. And you weren't one of them.
3) What makes Tesla different is it's a software based car in that there are rules so the software knows what cars qualify vs a salesman wink and nod.
So go get your lawyer, hold your breath until you turn blue. You still won't get free supercharging.

I think you're reaching in your assumptions here. Yes, at some point Tesla has advised against overuse of the Supercharger network citing increase stress on the battery and charging components (no concrete evidence that any of that is true or significant). But we have no idea what the Sales Advisor told him. I do recall a time when Tesla was offering free unlimited Supercharging for the life of the car, then they did away with that, then they brought it back for Model S and X (presumably when they saw disappointing delivery figures). Sales people give out all sorts of information, untruths, and guarantees that they are not authorized to do or say. Sometimes it's deception to make a sale and other times it's a complete failure of communication from management to the floor workers.

There have been several owners here how have had their unlimited Supercharging status accidentally disappear, but Tesla has always been willing to restore their status though in some cases taken months to correct. Software-based cars do not mean they are less flawed; quite the contrary. Look at the posts about garbled and corrupted MCUs, glitches in the original release of Dog Mode (luckily no dogs were known to be injured before the fix), windshield wiper glitch, bricked cars while updating, etc. From my own experience, the car is great and the experience has been good but only for as long as I can keep it out of the Service Center. The Costa Mesa location has got to be the most impacted Service Center in the country.

As for the OP. I would escalate your issue up to someone with the authority to fix the problem at Tesla; I'm thinking you're talking to the wrong people before I deal with a lawyer. My wife is a lawyer and they are so expensive that we can't afford one.

Tesla has done plenty of scammy things over the years, I don't get why so many of you are being defensive and dismissive about the OP's experience.

To the OP, your gripe seems legitimate as presented. What you need to ask yourself is if after you rejected the first car, Tesla properly informed you that they found a new car but the policy on unlimited supercharging had changed would you have walked away from Tesla altogether? If the answer is anything other than a definitive YES, I'd suggest letting it go and enjoying your car.

Reactions: sorka
@OP

we all understand it can be very very frustrating to not get what was promised/agreed upon but your title is clickbait. Saying Tesla is a scam is a huge overreaction and misrepresentation of tesla and what actually happened and you are the only one in this conversation that was involved so we only have one side to the story. Not saying you dont have a valid issue at all but it's not the end of the world and if you have the time and money then by all means do what you feel is right to satisfy yourself.

I'm one of the so called fanboys of tesla because I have a different viewpoint then the tesla hater . I do not however think issues with customer service, service center, sales, vehicle issues should go unaddressed but I don't feel its appropriate to miscatagorize your experience as a scam.

Reactions: PACEMD
I feel your pain OP. I too thought I was getting FUSC - but a policy change on Tesla's side nixed it for me too.

However....

I still really like the car. I took a look at how I was using the car and knew it wasn't worth it for me to pursue simply because 99% of the time I'll be charging the car in the garage anyways. I was by a supercharger once and figured I'd charge just to make sure the car's hardware was in good order and it worked out fine. So far, less than $5 in supercharging.

The main downside I can see is that it devalues my car a bit when the time comes to sell it. For this reason I do still get a little pissed off. But I think Tesla is making it harder to sell a car with FUSC anyways - so this too may be a moot issue.

purchased my car in 2018 with referral, ordered in July, got the car in mid-September but rejected it due to paint defects. Owner Advisor found a replacement car and delivered it to me early October with the premise that I could still have free unlimited supercharging (it was showing in my account all this time). Now Tesla has removed it without any notification (starting in January and they initially brushed it off as a system error), now my Owner Advisor left and they refuse to give me unlimited supercharging a year after.

BUYER BEWARE!! Their customer service is the worse I've seen. Thought I'd share it with others but will be speaking with my lawyer shortly.

All my communication with my DS was through email. Was any of this in email? If so, it's in writing.

You’re right, Tesla customer service sucks... but that free super charging is worth maybe $20/yr for most people, so you may want to think about that before wasting time with an attorney

You realize that $20 is like filling up twice at an SC, right? For me, out of the 40K miles I drive a year, about 10K miles / year is from supercharging which is just over $800 / year with the SC rates in California.

For you apologists, the "I love my scam" comments are funny for sure. I got a good chuckle out of them. But let's get real. What Tesla did was wrong. They stole something that was promised and that the OP actually had in his account for quite a while before Tesla "decided" they'd made a mistake. Don't enable Tesla further by dismissing something like this with a witty retort that makes fun of the guy posting about a real issue.

Now if Tesla had delivered the car without the FUSC, he could have fought that battle right there with his DS. But they left it there for over a year making it virtually impossible for the OP to do anything about it unless it had been written into the contract. But for a year, his account page say "Free unlimited supercharging".

Status
Not open for further replies.