Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal Clean Energy Tax Credit for Battery Backup, with Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I get the 30% federal clean energy tax credit for home battery backup if I buy a Cybertruck? I've Googled it and can't find an answer if V2H qualifies.

As someone potentially in the market for home battery backup, the CT is compelling. With its ~130 kWh battery that's roughly the equivalent of 10 powerwalls, which is $85,000 worth of powerwall value... with a truck included seems like a bargain! :)

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Can I get the 30% federal clean energy tax credit for home battery backup if I buy a Cybertruck? I've Googled it and can't find an answer if V2H qualifies.

As someone potentially in the market for home battery backup, the CT is compelling. With its ~130 kWh battery that's roughly the equivalent of 10 powerwalls, which is $85,000 worth of powerwall value... with a truck included seems like a bargain! :)
Good question.

If an EV would get you a $7,500 EV tax credit, should there be a pyramidal 30% off in addition too?

The IRS needs to clarify the V2H credit.

I can’t imagine it does although I pondered the same question. I assume home energy storage products need to be permanently installed in a residence to qualify. Otherwise any manner of battery backup products would currently be eligible for the tax credit and they’re clearly not.

I do believe you could recover some of the costs of installing the required EVSE and home gateway though… 30% of actual costs up to $1,000.

I’m sure some tax swindlers have brought this up on a Lightning forum… might try giving it a google.

I work from home so I can also honestly say the primary location of the battery (>50% of the time) is at home serving as battery backup.

Also, like most of us shopping for this truck we don't qualify for the vehicle tax credit. So I'm not going to stack.

I work from home so I can also honestly say the primary location of the battery (>50% of the time) is at home serving as battery backup.

Also, like most of us shopping for this truck we don't qualify for the vehicle tax credit. So I'm not going to stack.
I was just joking about the swindler thing. ;)

It’s an interesting question. But I’m reasonably certain the answer is going to be no.

Primary purpose of the storage must not be for transportation. So I guess that’s asked and answered.

Reactions: Tam