Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request: Self-moderated Threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Self-moderated threads are not only moderated by the thread starter, they're moderated normally by forum staff AND in a limited fashion by the thread starter. That's all. The thread starter simply gets the ability to delete posts in a self moderated thread. It doesn't give them the ability to edit others' posts. It doesn't mean the thread can operate outside of forum rules.

Basically a self moderated thread creator can use their deletion ability to enforce their own set of rules in addition to the forum rules. Literally if a thread is made with the self-moderation option the only thing that changes is that the thread starter can delete posts in that thread. Nothing more. That's a far stretch from "unmoderated."

[...]

I'm calling for more moderation here (staff + thread starters), not less.

Hope this helps.

In light of the worsening signal-to-noise ratio of the technical threads on this forum (exponentially more problematic than when I initially suggested this, which is crazy), I'm reviving this feature request.

Actually, could even be like the thing Twitter added to hide posts in a thread instead of removing them. Super clear that they were hidden by the OP, and still available behind a click.

I dunno. Something needs to be done to improve the SNR around here.

I mean, if someone brings value to the conversation, even if I disagree with it, there's still value to the discussion/debate.

If someone brings nothing but baseless claims, obviously false statements, even devolving into finger pointing personal attacks with no merit.... well, that needs to be dealt with.

I'm even cool with snarky comments, as long as they make sense in context and in some way contribute.

The problem on this particular forum is that there are multiple groups of people with different interests, agendas, etc. Some of these overlap a bit, others don't. As a public forum, instead of ending up in reasonable discussions, we end up with mega threads with 10k+ posts, almost all of which are useless misinformation from one group or another... and no one is ever going to go through that to find the relevant info, making the entire thing useless. Without a way for people to keep a discussion on topic this just keeps happening.

Even purely technical discussions devolve into chaos here.

Surprisingly, the bulk of the people are able to coexist without much issue, despite differing views. It's the few bad apples that insist on pushing misinformation over and over and over and over and over again that make it impossible to weed out the wheat from the chaff.

I would have dozens more threads on interesting topics going here if I could have minimal control over the direction of the thread by removing/hiding irrelevant posts.