Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Farewell Model X and Hello Lincoln Navigator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a model S and I agree about the cold weather. For long car trips with a bunch of kids, it's just flat out not as convenient to stop for charging as it for gassing up. Yes it can obviously be done, but it's just not as efficient time wise.

And maybe stopping to charge while you eat lunch with no kids or older kids is refreshing, but with 3 under 6, none of our meals are refreshing - they are battles to be won.

We also test drove the navigator and loved it - we're waiting to see what the aviator and MB GLS redesign are like. Enjoy it, it's a great road trip car.

I own a model S and I agree about the cold weather. For long car trips with a bunch of kids, it's just flat out not as convenient to stop for charging as it for gassing up. Yes it can obviously be done, but it's just not as efficient time wise.

And maybe stopping to charge while you eat lunch with no kids or older kids is refreshing, but with 3 under 6, none of our meals are refreshing - they are battles to be won.

We also test drove the navigator and loved it - we're waiting to see what the aviator and MB GLS redesign are like. Enjoy it, it's a great road trip car.

Haha. Comment about the 3 under 6 meals is funny. But so true, we only have 2 under 6 and I feel the same way. That being said, I’ve enjoyed the stops. Our kids need the time to run around like lunatics before we strap them back in. I’ve never done a trip longer than 4 hours though so these are only 2 stops.

I think this is very reasonable for OP, and let’s not forget they are still part of the Tesla family with their model S! We love our Model X, but we know it’s not for everyone. I have the same issue with one of our FWD not opening fully in our garage despite trying to geotag both, but every other week i have to put our kids in our Accord where in my garage i can only open the door like 2/3 th way and bend down and try the to squeeze our kids in so... for now loving these! (Although I’d probably also love sliding doors).

although i can't imagine trading my X for anything else right now, i can understand where the OP is coming from and everyone's circumstances change.

i was actually in my friend's navigator yesterday and definitely for a large family (5+), i think it's a good car. I'd personally go for the QX80 or an Escalade but each their own.

I don't understand. Can't you just geotag your garage at home if they do clear and then you'll never have the issue again?

They don't 100% clear, if you are off a bit on center of the garage when entering the door rails could interfere slightly of if the door is stil open the door overhead does interfere so cannot do this. Need the sensors working.

Funny things so far
1 - Needing to poke a hornet's nest aka tell an ENTHUSIAST forum their car of choice isn't good enough and they are gone.
2 - We've had billions of ICE cars since 1908 and people here acting like literally ONE MORE Lincoln Navigator is going to melt the ice caps and turn the United States into Atlantis.
3 - I would save on Disneyland annual passes if my kids got sick so easily from high speed acceleration. Every stop in the X is a new adventure woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
4 - Husband hasn't chimed in. I mean, how does a man give up is toys so easily?

Navigator has got good reviews and the Black Label interior looks fantastic. I understand Ford can't make enough of them. Kind of a Tesla M3 problem! I would check out the latest Ford Expedition too to save some money and get a similar size vehicle.

Reactions: Dalia
Haha. Comment about the 3 under 6 meals is funny. But so true, we only have 2 under 6 and I feel the same way. That being said, I’ve enjoyed the stops. Our kids need the time to run around like lunatics before we strap them back in. I’ve never done a trip longer than 4 hours though so these are only 2 stops.

I think this is very reasonable for OP, and let’s not forget they are still part of the Tesla family with their model S! We love our Model X, but we know it’s not for everyone. I have the same issue with one of our FWD not opening fully in our garage despite trying to geotag both, but every other week i have to put our kids in our Accord where in my garage i can only open the door like 2/3 th way and bend down and try the to squeeze our kids in so... for now loving these! (Although I’d probably also love sliding doors).

Do you pull your X in forwards or back in? I find that by backing into my garage, the falcon wing doors are completely past the garage door rails and motor. The only times I've had issues with the falcon wing doors not opening all the way is when someone stands in front of them when pressing the button to open the door.

Reactions: Mrcook4590
Do you pull your X in forwards or back in? I find that by backing into my garage, the falcon wing doors are completely past the garage door rails and motor. The only times I've had issues with the falcon wing doors not opening all the way is when someone stands in front of them when pressing the button to open the door.

For me forwards. Not a chance my wife can back the X in and leave any paint or the sides on my garage intact ;)

And you have plenty of unplanned stops where you’re not charging, and maybe wasting energy keeping the car warm.

although i can't imagine trading my X for anything else right now, i can understand where the OP is coming from and everyone's circumstances change.

i was actually in my friend's navigator yesterday and definitely for a large family (5+), i think it's a good car. I'd personally go for the QX80 or an Escalade but each their own.

The Escalade has 0 room in the backseat, almost an embarrassing level. The ford trucks and Navigator crush everything in its class on leg room. It isn't even close. Navi is the much better choice.

Reactions: Sambas
I was wondering this as well. I always reverse in as well so that my trunk can open all the way and load it easily with all of the kid stuff. I didn't measure 100% so I'm not totally positive the FWDs will clear, but once I get the car I'll measure to verify for certain.

The ONLY concern is if I geotag the doors at home to open all the way and someone that isn't me drives the car, they're probably going to scratch up the doors.

It's the same concern with the trunk. I could override the height and geotag that when I reverse in, but it won't be able to tell the difference if the car is parked in reverse or not, so again another recipe for disaster. Things to worry about for sure.