Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wings - Must have them, will absolutely hate them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love threads about the falcon wing doors. Every time I see someone with a reservation number lower than mine say "I'm canceling my order if they go through with the falcon wing doors," I mentally subtract one from my reservation number...

I love threads about the falcon wing doors. Every time I see someone with a reservation number lower than mine say "I'm canceling my order if they go through with the falcon wing doors," I mentally subtract one from my reservation number...

I keep thinking that because I'm impatient. But then when Musk says the company will be producing driverless cars by 2016, I think, aw heck, I don't want my X too early.

A driverless SUV? I can be in the back, stretched out in my sleeping bag. Wake me when we get to Glacier, Yellowstone, Jasper.... or rather, the next supercharger... :)

That's assuming the local salesrep doesn't keep the reservation on his desk for the next X potential buyer coming in.

"Hey, I got this reservation available for you so you can have your X before that BerTX guy from TMC, same price just faster delivery."
:cool:

/cheers

we are X holders and taking a wait and see attitude. we are both over 6 feet tall and we mostly just want a bit more room internally, be a bit higher off the ground and AWD. An AWD S wouldn't really do the trick. The main thing we'll be looking for is whether Tesla has solved the issue of roof rack/storage or offers something like a suicide door option. mainly, we just really want a regular old SUV but electric, with supercharging, so a Tesla. we don't need anything particularly fandangled. if the wings take away functionality, the cool factor just won't be enough on it's own for us to go through with the reservation. it's such a deal breaker that we are considering a PHEVSUV, mainly the Outlander or simply sticking with the S as the "utility" vehicle by getting the roof rack and leasing a "placeholder" EV to replace the Leaf lease which is over next Feb... the Kia Soul EV is an attractive get around alternative to the Leaf. I think it's kind of ironic that the falcon doors may cause us to end up with a Kia, LOL!

The falcon wing quandary is significant enough to us that we may skip getting an SUV altogether until someone comes out with a fully functional EV SUV, not just a minivan with fancy doors.

Sounds like what you want is an SUV. The Model X is a crossover, it is built on a car platform (the definition of a CUV), it is AWD, not 4wd. The rear of the car tapers at an angle to optimize aerodynamics, not cargo capacity. It might be slightly higher in ground clearance, but that is devastating to aerodynamics, too. Again, car chassis, so bigger diameter tires might raise it slightly, but it will not be an off-road vehicle.

It isn't currently feasible to make an electric SUV up to Tesla standards. If it were, they'd make one.

So, if you can't find your car in the parking lot, can you tell it remotely to raise it's "goofy door" so you can see it?

You tell it "come pick me up". And then it looses signal in the 3rd level underground parking floor and wanders around, alone, confused. And then flaps its wings and honks looking for mama to come get it.

Jokes aside, I'm super comfortable with being a part of the experiment/ trying out the "design hypothesis" as I mentioned before. I don't know what will happen, but I hope it's a design feature that "disappears". Remember the wonder and awe at the first time you tried (say) an iphone, and was "geez this is vastly different and quirky" but within a year took it as the new baseline? I'm hoping for that. Not in the sense that it becomes an industry baseline, rather, that it becomes my expectation. The best technology and design being invisible and all that.

You tell it "come pick me up". And then it looses signal in the 3rd level underground parking floor and wanders around, alone, confused. And then flaps its wings and honks looking for mama to come get it.

Jokes aside, I'm super comfortable with being a part of the experiment/ trying out the "design hypothesis" as I mentioned before. I don't know what will happen, but I hope it's a design feature that "disappears". Remember the wonder and awe at the first time you tried (say) an iphone, and was "geez this is vastly different and quirky" but within a year took it as the new baseline? I'm hoping for that. Not in the sense that it becomes an industry baseline, rather, that it becomes my expectation. The best technology and design being invisible and all that.

LOL from your vision. And jokes aside, I think your take on it is 100% right: what is as of now a novel and exotic feature will soon become just a better version of a car door. This relates to my argument on status quo bias above.

Some funny stuff here.

As for me: well, it's rather a bit late in the game to think there will be any massive changes (no wing doors, that is) to the X, but - for those here, how many of you think that wing doors have ANY advantage wrt exterior OR interior access, etc., over suicide doors (that is, rear-hinged rear doors)? To me, the cavernous access that front-hinged front doors + rear-hinged rear doors give even more easy access to esp the third row that Tesla extols; they bypass the low-ceilinged garages that are of concern to many; they circumvent the roof rack scrunching that wing-doors possess....

...the two important design features of suicide doors that need be addressed are (1) the quality of the seal between two modestly ir-rigid components (two doors), and (2) the structural integrity of the passenger cocoon when there is no B-pillar and the strength that provides. Given what we know about the Model S and its excellent strength, I would guess that the company can overcome those obstacles.

My conclusion, then, is that I am sorry the X will have wing doors. I would vote suicide doors over them every time.

Thank you for the nice input, AudubonB.

Two advantages spring to mind comparing Falcon Wings to rear-hinged rear doors:

- Falcon Wings allow you to stand up in the car while entering
- Falcon Wings allow opening in a tighter space width-wise (offset by the fact that they require more height)

And yes, I agree, very unlikely Tesla would be dropping the Falcon Wings or offering such an option. Model X is a variant of Model S and Tesla still a relatively small company that seems to want to keep the options list short and simple too. Maybe by generation three or four things are different, but I think Model S and Model X as we know them now are what generation two will be all about (with of course some smaller options constantly being added, perhaps things like rear-seat entertainment, more surround cameras etc.).

Forgive me if it was already posted, but how tall will the MX actually be, with falcon doors closed/open?

Many parking garages in Hong Kong have objects sticking down less than 6 feet (I'm 6'1" so gotta be careful), or even a downright low ceiling.

Surely, the MX will have sensors, but will it detect that corner of an air duct sticking out somewhere? Will you still be able to get out?

Not getting the MX myself, just wondering ...

Moderator note: It may be helpful to those on this thread to check out Model X Falcon Doors - every possible discussion about height / sensors / variations / opening width / etc of the doors has been captured in that thread.

Threads that are highly popular are usually highlighted and kept at the beginning of a subforum, so that the thread is easy for people to find. That's generally a good place to look.

The threads highlighted in blue (with the red oval over them below) are known as 'sticky' threads, meaning they are 'stuck' to the top of the subforum.

Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 1.06.05 AM.png

Last edited:
Moderator note: It may be helpful to those on this thread to check out Model X Falcon Doors - every possible discussion about height / sensors / variations / opening width / etc of the doors has been captured in that thread.

Threads that are highly popular are usually highlighted and kept at the beginning of a subforum, so that the thread is easy for people to find. That's generally a good place to look.

The threads highlighted in blue (with the red oval over them below) are known as 'sticky' threads, meaning they are 'stuck' to the top of the subforum.

Sorry to disturb, but thank you for the link, Bonnie.

That thread you link has 695 posts, starting in 2012 some time. All I wanted to know is "How tall/high is the car with the doors open" - if known at all. I searched for height, tall, high and other words and get a gazillion hits about everything else. OK, maybe less than a gazillion.

Looking it up in Wikipedia, I found it to be 64" with the doors closed. It looks like the doors are like a third of the height of the car, so around 85" or 7'2" is my guess, falcon doors open. Not good for a low roofed garage.

Doesn't really matter, I am probably not going to get it myself, just wondering how popular it could be in Hong Kong (how usable). Model III I suspect will be popular, not just because of the price, but also because it is a bit smaller.

Sorry 'bout that - I searched "suicide" AFTER I posted here.... :(

That "opening in a tighter space" for the wings is cool, but it seems to me it's 100% offset by the fact that most front doors always need to be opened.

As for me, I haven't any expectation ever of having a garage-height concern, nor do I anymore want nor probably need a roof rack (aerodynamics, etc.), so I'm all for the niftiest doors in the auto universe, but I wanted to throw out those two possibilities to learn if here there is anything resembling a consensus.

What I'm trying to do is keep the forum organized. We have threads on topics for a reason. We also have a search function. If I use it over on the falcon wing door thread, it gives me several helpful results, including a link to this helpful doc: Tesla Model X Falcon Wing Door Measurements - Google Slides

- - - Updated - - -

Even though I am a reservation holder, I still would rather NOT have the falcon wing doors.

I suspect that it's a bit too late to expect a change on this. :)

That thread you link has 695 posts, starting in 2012 some time. All I wanted to know is "How tall/high is the car with the doors open" - if known at all. I searched for height, tall, high and other words and get a gazillion hits about everything else. OK, maybe less than a gazillion.

Tip: simple search works best. I just did a search for "height doors Model X" and got these two results both on the first page...

For-those-worried-about-the-height-of-the-doors-(like-me!)-I-did-some-math

Model-X-Garage-Measurement-Requirements

Note that you can search in individual sections or even within an individual thread using the secondary search button on the right side of the light grey bar just above the threads/posts.