Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing door - door within a door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would be cool, but I can't remember where I read/heard it but I heard they are having a hell of a time QCing and making sure just the falcon wing doors seal correctly to avoid wind noise and other bad stuff. This is a cool idea either way. One for flash and function and one for spots that are way too tight.

That would be cool, but I can't remember where I read/heard it but I heard they are having a hell of a time QCing and making sure just the falcon wing doors seal correctly to avoid wind noise and other bad stuff. This is a cool idea either way. One for flash and function and one for spots that are way too tight.

If they're parking that tight, how does the driver get out?

What I don't understand is all this concern over Tesla refusing to build a "simple" sliding door. There are three tracks on a sliding door, and they have adjustable rollers. They don't jump seams or door openings. There are motors that run the doors, and sensors.

So everyone gets concerned that Tesla is doing something really hard and acting like sliding doors are really easy. They're not. They are common, now, but not simple. As far as having two hinges (one extra hinge under the window), that is only slightly more complex than than a standard hatchback with its hinge.

So now, Tesla wants to get it right. What's wrong with that? No one remembers the first few hundred of the Model S, that they rushed to get out, and then spend months having people come back in to get door handles to work, doors "re torqued", parts installed that had been missed. As Tesla grows, they cannot have people always thinking that the first few cars are beta testers. Model X is going to be under a microscope from day one.

Sure, GM - Ford - Chrysler STILL have reputations for poor workmanship on early edition cars, cars built on Monday or Friday, etc. But wouldn't it be neat if Tesla tried to fix THAT little business model, too?

Is it possible/likely that they'd build a sliding door within the falcon door to provide owners with both options?

The whole point of the Falcon doors is to get rid of the minivan :):GASP::) sliding doors. They are very long, and open without much added width to the car. But 'falcon' doors are cool, minivan doors are literal deal breakers.

Ameircans need to get over minivan hate and embrace the things because they are about the most versatile vehicles sold today.

What I don't understand is all this concern over Tesla refusing to build a "simple" sliding door.
A big chunk of the point of the falcon doors is added utility beyond the sliding door. Extra headroom when standing under it so you're not bent over while dealing with car seats and such. And shielding from rain while you're under it. It's intended to be a better, more usable door, not just a gimmick cool factor.

... and one for spots that are way too tight.
It's been stated over and over that the double hinge allows for the door to go up first and then kick out. It has been stated that if you can fit between the vehicles and use mini-van doors that the falcon wings will work.

Go here and you can drag the falcon wing doors up and down with your mouse. Model X | Tesla Motors

Ameircans need to get over minivan hate and embrace the things because they are about the most versatile vehicles sold today.

When our kids were little, I advocated for a mini-van but my wife said it would make her look like a "middle-aged woman with kids". I wisely kept my mouth shut on that point and said why don't we lease one, and if you don't like it we can get something else. Well, she liked it so much, we leased another until our kids were grown. She still talks about missing those Dodge Caravans we had! They indeed are incredibly versatile and are (perhaps Model X excepted) a lot roomier than similar sized SUVs.

When our kids were little, I advocated for a mini-van but my wife said it would make her look like a "middle-aged woman with kids". I wisely kept my mouth shut on that point and said why don't we lease one, and if you don't like it we can get something else. Well, she liked it so much, we leased another until our kids were grown. She still talks about missing those Dodge Caravans we had! They indeed are incredibly versatile and are (perhaps Model X excepted) a lot roomier than similar sized SUVs.

I acknowledge this is true, but refuse to accept it. :)

My wife and I ended up with a minivan a few years ago as a rental car when we took our baby to visit family. We were both like "Wow, this thing is really convenient, isn't it? Oh god, no, I can't believe I just said that!"

We just refuse to let ourselves become minivan people.

I acknowledge this is true, but refuse to accept it. :)

My wife and I ended up with a minivan a few years ago as a rental car when we took our baby to visit family. We were both like "Wow, this thing is really convenient, isn't it? Oh god, no, I can't believe I just said that!"

We just refuse to let ourselves become minivan people.

Minivans are for people that are ready to tell the world they have given up on all their own hopes and dreams for the future and the only reason they get up in the morning is to live vicariously through their children. :tongue:

Or just people that live "form follows function".

Confession: I wanted a minivan when I was in High School (late 90s)! Or a 280Z, I was torn between two extremes. I ended up with a Dodge Neon.

I'm surprised more people have not commented on the absurdity of having a sliding door *within* the falcon door. Not just the old falcon vs. sliding argument, but actually have both. To the OP, while it may be technically possible to do such a thing, no no no, a million times no.

The problem with minivans is that they have underpowered engines and their handling sucks. Fix those two things (and, oh look, the Model X will fix those things) and you have a winner.

I do agree that for sheer cargo carrying capacity and ease of use, the minivan wins.

The only trepidation I have with the Model X is that it won't have enough room inside...

My thought when I first saw the Tesla design for the falcon wing doors was "brilliant, but how do they do a sliding seal that lasts?" The first movement when opening and the last when closing is a sliding motion. Typical door gaskets use compression to seal, and there is no sliding motion. Even minivan sliding doors slide into position, then close IN to compress the seal, don't they?

The typical neoprene gasket would not work with a sliding motion. I imagine the design worked fine the first 500 times it is opened and closed, but now they are having to re-invent the door gasket...