Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

?Fake: New NHSTA Compliant filed 07/01/2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another thread on the TM forum pointed out that the parcel shelf can smell really bad at first. I noticed this with ours. Perhaps this was it.

When our 2007 Prius was new, the whole interior had this same smell-- very different from the usual new car smell. A friend's Altima was also like that some years ago. It must be some synthetic used for cheap interior panels.

"I WILL NOT GIVE MY REAL CONTACT INFORMATION BECAUSE I AM AFRAID OF TESLA AND THE CEO COMING AFTER ME FOR REPORTING THE COMPANY"

More like he won't give his contact information because he filed a fictitious report and wants to disparage Tesla. Why is this even a thread?

I think this is a troll trying to make trouble for Tesla although I doubt it will be taken seriously. The claim that "everyone is complaining about the smell" is a dead give away. Who are these people anyway? Unless they're trolls for the fossil fuel industry I would say they desperately need to see a psychiatrist.

What kind of person writes BS in an official complaint? This is likely made up. Not saying this problem can't be real but filing a complaint like this after two days of ownership is odd. Must be a great customer to deal with and has some issues with thinking people are out to get him.

Last edited:
my response would be:

First, assuming you are serious and this happened, you claim you had a burning smell coming from the vents. You added a link in your complaint (that is broken because you don't know how to copy/paste) that directly associates the problem to a smell when the heater is on. I'm assuming you were smart enough to actually read that forums you linked to and thus you must have also had the heater on. This is not rare for a heater to give off a smell when it hasn't been used before/in a while. Furnaces do it, other heaters do it, it is just dust burning off, and if you read those posts, everyone said it goes away shortly (just like any other heater).

Now lets get back to the real issue here, WHY WAS YOUR HEATER ON ON THE FIRST OF JULY IN NORTH CAROLINA?!?! My guess is that it wasn't. You clearly have shorted Tesla and are desperate to get the stock price to drop. Your desperation rings through loud and clear in the complaint. The paranoia of Elon Musk somehow being able to "come after you" is the pinnacle of your desperation. How would he do that? Financially? Legally? Physically? He would clearly have gone after John Broder first, and last I heard he is doing just fine. Unless you are afraid he might go after you for libel... which he could based on you writing this lie.

The last few lines make it very obvious what your motive is.

Oh wait... you're from North Carolina. You probably belong to the dealer association there. By the way, all the actual owners absolutely love this car and very few have even commented anything on this issue.

It is magnificent that we can have someone give "over $100,000" to a company...and its CEO....of which he is so fearful. We must have a bunch of Goodfellas running TM!

I like Kraken's read: fearful of his being sued for libel.

He got the car on July 1 and filed the report on 3rd, but claims that he can't drive for weeks! He definitely seems like he's just trying to cause trouble. Does the NHTSA have any way to validate the complaints?
This, so much this!

what an idiot, he could have at least spent a bit more time getting his fictitious story together.

And another thing, why keep your family in a car with a weird smell to a point they get sick? Why not open the windows and let the car air out?