Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed delivery due to trunk hutch aligned. Should I have fixed myself?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was scheduled to take a delivery of MY LR with 20" wheels on January 19. During exterior inspection I found 3 issues: a scratch on the door trim, bunch of scuffs on the front bumper and the worst of all is that the rear trunk hutch was misaligned to a point that a lower left corner was about 1" in and the upper left corner was about 1/2 extending over the glass.

The delivery person only gave me 3 options:
1) Send it to body shop with ETA of 2-3 weeks
2) Cancel this VIN and wait for another car with possibility of missing the Federal and MA Tax credit deadline
3) Take a delivery of existing demo with 470 miles on it and wrong set of tires. Of course they declined

...to swap the tires.
I picked the option #1 but now have my doubts. What would every one do in this situation??? TIA
I probably would have picked the same.

I waited for a full year for our MYLR7; on the day of delivery they found a scratch and had to fix/repaint a panel. Added another week but faster than rejecting VIN. Plus no guarantees that next vehicle will be without defect/issues.

Reactions: zoomer0056
The main issue with this delivery center is that they don't seem to give a crap. I was promised the body shop tech contacting me next day after failed delivery. It's been 5 days since and crickets... I keep pinging the delivery guy (he had a misfortune to call me, so I kept his phone #) but he is saying, no ETA, no idea when etc. I guess I got spoiled a bit by my previous cars experience (VW and Audi). Maybe I should scale my expectations

Do you know where the car was manufactured? Apparently less issues with cars coming out of Texas....

Was it a demo model?

we took delivery of Model Y Dec 28.22
Misaligned frunk panel, and right side doors. Left side doors were fine.
Guy told us to accept delivery, and then schedule a service and submit photos. Originally the text came back with a $117 charge to complete the repair. I texted them it was a new car and was not going to pay.
2 weeks later I had the first morning appointment - fixed within about 30mins.

That was my only experience so far with them

Do you know where the car was manufactured? Apparently less issues with cars coming out of Texas....

Was it a demo model?

we took delivery of Model Y Dec 28.22
Misaligned frunk panel, and right side doors. Left side doors were fine.
Guy told us to accept delivery, and then schedule a service and submit photos. Originally the text came back with a $117 charge to complete the repair. I texted them it was a new car and was not going to pay.
2 weeks later I had the first morning appointment - fixed within about 30mins.

That was my only experience so far with them
Based on VIN this was a 2023-built model built in Austin, Texas. Did not look like a demo, had 59 miles on odo

I am leaning towards 1 and 2. Only 1 b/c I got an appt quickly but it sucks to have a service appt for a new car. Number 2 maybe because you know what you have but you do not know what the next vin car will look like upon delivery. They normally match a vin within a week or 2 after you reject your first vin. That happened to me. I rejected my first vin and 2 weeks later I got a new one.

I also think I would prefer #1. Reason is, some people think a misaligned hatch causes booming (due to the hatch moving when driving over uneven surfaces). And there's no way to fix it except to align the hatch, which is apparently difficult to do yourself. Knowing this, under no circumstances would I drive off in a vehicle with a misaligned hatch. As Happy Hippo already said, you *could* have gotten another VIN, but then what if the new vehicle also had a misaligned hatch? Or some other problem? On the other hand, by accepting the vehicle and making them align the hatch, now you get to deal with Tesla's famous "customer service." You will have to be persistent yet polite so they want to help you, which is hard if you're an introvert like me. Either way, patience is a virtue. It'll be done when it's done. Maybe think of it like paying yourself (with the money you saved) to do nothing for a while.

I know, it's an anxiety of a new owner but still... when you get your car in the body shop, do you get contacted by a tech? It has been almost a week and I have 0 updates from anyone
It really depends on how busy they are/attentive. A good SA would give updates, but you get what you get sadly. Sounds like you don't have a great centre, sorry. Any chance you could stop by and inquire in-person?

I know, it's an anxiety of a new owner but still... when you get your car in the body shop, do you get contacted by a tech? It has been almost a week and I have 0 updates from anyone
You can see the car's location in the app, and you can view the "progress" in the app. Somebody at Tesla seems to think that's good enough. I've found it difficult to get a response to messages or calls, especially from my Delivery Center and Factory Service Center. Like I said in my previous post, patience is required. I can imagine that work taking at least a full week, maybe 10 days.

You can see the car's location in the app, and you can view the "progress" in the app. Somebody at Tesla seems to think that's good enough. I've found it difficult to get a response to messages or calls, especially from my Delivery Center and Factory Service Center. Like I said in my previous post, patience is required. I can imagine that work taking at least a full week, maybe 10 dayday
I can't see it in the app as I have not taken the delivery so the app can't see past the delivery screen :((

I can't see it in the app as I have not taken the delivery so the app can't see past the delivery screen :((

Sorry, I thought you had taken delivery with their assurance they'll fix it afterwards. You're in an unusual situation! But either way, when they send a car out to a paint or body shop they don't expect to get it back for a week to ten days, so my primary advice remains: this is going to require patience.

Reactions: Sleepybubba