Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
at this point, it seems the hardest part may be finding the actual tuner. i don't see any on ebay that aren't sold "as is," which i definitely am hesitant to do in case they're completely DOA.

has anyone actually tried to buy the tuner directly from tesla? is there a way we can set up some kind of proxy sale here where actual X owners on the forum might be willing to order the tuner for us?

That one isn't sold "as is", only a 20% stocking fee if you need to return. The risk is 50$, not a big deal if you ask me.

That one isn't sold "as is", only a 20% stocking fee if you need to return. The risk is 50$, not a big deal if you ask me.

it literally says "sold as is, without warranty" in the description. direct contradiction of the "restocking fee" language, which is why i don't trust it.

after reading some of the threads about issues with factory SXM on the S and X, i'm re-thinking whether or not this is worth it yet or if i want to let some of you mess with it first and see if this roundabout way of getting it working has the same issues. my onyx is obviously not a factory solution, but it works, every time. i don't have to worry about the app suddenly disappearing and requiring a hard reboot of the car to get it back...it just turns on when i pull out of my garage, every single time.

@stutech is the constant disappearing/reappearing of the app (for the few days you've had it) one of the glitches you're talking about? that seems to be very common with the S and X, and given this would be an unsupported configuration we're not likely to get any help from tesla if we experience the same thing...

Last edited:
does anyone know the difference between 1143716-00-C (which a few people here have said they've used for this) and 1143716-00-B? is there any major difference with the B version that would keep it from working here?
The B version does not have XM capability. This is the most concise summary of the differences I could find.

As for doing the upgrade, I don't see any reason to rush it if you can't find a good deal for a tuner. I personally wouldn't pay 200 bucks more for the privilege of paying for another music service which, as you say, might suddenly get removed by an update. IMO between waiting for us to iron out the idiosyncrasies and a better price on a tuner makes a lot of sense :)

Reactions: crackers8199
The B version does not have XM capability. This is the most concise summary of the differences I could find.

As for doing the upgrade, I don't see any reason to rush it if you can't find a good deal for a tuner. I personally wouldn't pay 200 bucks more for the privilege of paying for another music service which, as you say, might suddenly get removed by an update. IMO between waiting for us to iron out the idiosyncrasies and a better price on a tuner makes a lot of sense :)

I thought this too but it doesn't seem to be the case...there is a B version on eBay that has XM listed on the label.

anyway, if this worked 100% of the time on the s and x i would be all in...but the fact they have had the app randomly disappearing for over a year now with no fix from Tesla (for cars that it's actually *supposed to* work on) is more than a little disconcerting.

Any other Model S owners lurking here like me? I’ve always wanted to retrofit XM into my standard audio S. It wasn’t an option in the spring of 2017. No XM antenna obviously.

I just assumed that there was some gateway config between S standard audio and premium audio that would prevent the XM tuner from being recognized. After reading this thread now I kind of doubt it.

Any other Model S owners lurking here like me? I’ve always wanted to retrofit XM into my standard audio S. It wasn’t an option in the spring of 2017. No XM antenna obviously.

I just assumed that there was some gateway config between S standard audio and premium audio that would prevent the XM tuner from being recognized. After reading this thread now I kind of doubt it.
Its probably worth a try, from what I can tell if the mcu is gen 3 it just checks if the tuner has the sirius capability and enables it.

after reading some of the threads about issues with factory SXM on the S and X, i'm re-thinking whether or not this is worth it yet or if i want to let some of you mess with it first and see if this roundabout way of getting it working has the same issues. my onyx is obviously not a factory solution, but it works, every time. i don't have to worry about the app suddenly disappearing and requiring a hard reboot of the car to get it back...it just turns on when i pull out of my garage, every single time.

@stutech is the constant disappearing/reappearing of the app (for the few days you've had it) one of the glitches you're talking about? that seems to be very common with the S and X, and given this would be an unsupported configuration we're not likely to get any help from tesla if we experience the same thing...
I do not see the app ever disappearing so far, I have been using it everyday and on a trip of 300 miles and the only real hiccups I have had is that sometimes after a call audio doesn't return. Its easy to just change the channel or hit play again and it returns though. I also do not see voice commands working to control sirius.

I do not see the app ever disappearing so far, I have been using it everyday and on a trip of 300 miles and the only real hiccups I have had is that sometimes after a call audio doesn't return. Its easy to just change the channel or hit play again and it returns though. I also do not see voice commands working to control sirius.

do you park inside a garage? that seems to be the common theme from reading those old threads, if you park inside for too long it basically thinks there is no XM since it can't see the satellites (seems strange but that's what I've taken from it so far)...

do you park inside a garage? that seems to be the common theme from reading those old threads, if you park inside for too long it basically thinks there is no XM since it can't see the satellites (seems strange but that's what I've taken from it so far)...
I do yes, and my garage has zero reception for sxm. What's interesting is in the beginning when I did a software reinstall sxm showed up without even an antenna, so I wonder if the sxm software part on the model 3 is different and was something they built as a possible add on they could offer in the future. It seems more stable than what I hear of the model s and x owners.

I do yes, and my garage has zero reception for sxm. What's interesting is in the beginning when I did a software reinstall sxm showed up without even an antenna, so I wonder if the sxm software part on the model 3 is different and was something they built as a possible add on they could offer in the future. It seems more stable than what I hear of the model s and x owners.

you may have just sold me on giving it a shot. lol...

Reactions: ArtK and PhilCaps
Success! I'm waiting for the second amplifier to serve as the antenna adapter but my FM reception is very strong and I have reception of stations in the next city over in my garage. Almost seems pointless at this point to connect the second antenna but I'm a completionist.

On the FM connectivity, I made a bunch of mistakes while disconnecting the damned connectors. You guys are gonna laugh at this:
IMG_20220719_2025341.jpg

I thought this was the connector so I searched in vain for an adapter... until I realized I pulled the male-end off. If you buy a tuner with a missing curry-colored plug I'm pretty sure the connector is in a wire harness somewhere.

IMG_20220719_1903021.jpg

Just in case ya'll wanted to see the difference in heat transfer compound, I'm including that. Note I completely bent up the back slots because I'm a gorilla and didn't see I can just tilt the upper housing up.

IMG_20220719_2041459.jpg

Not really jazzed about the satellite connector being pushed off by that bolt but whatever. Notice my fm connection isn't completely plugged in either, so I only got FM after fixing that.

I had to reinstall software twice via the service menu. It's completely open for me, so I just long pressed the model 3 branding in the software menu, entered "service" and triggered the update while in service mode. All voice commands weren't being recognized after the first restart but thankfully it worked with the second. Calls work fine AFAIK and the siriusXM commands are recognized, but do nothing ("not available yet").

I completely mangled my original tuner in the process of swapping bases so that's going to be fun to try to sell.

I completely mangled my original tuner in the process of swapping bases so that's going to be fun to try to sell.

this is why if i try this i think i'm just going to buy a second model 3 tuner. they are on ebay for under $40, and since i don't really care if it works (since i'm only interested in the housing) it feels like a worthwhile expenditure, just to be able to keep my existing tuner intact in case i ever need to go back.

Success! I'm waiting for the second amplifier to serve as the antenna adapter but my FM reception is very strong and I have reception of stations in the next city over in my garage. Almost seems pointless at this point to connect the second antenna but I'm a completionist.

On the FM connectivity, I made a bunch of mistakes while disconnecting the damned connectors. You guys are gonna laugh at this:
View attachment 830448
I thought this was the connector so I searched in vain for an adapter... until I realized I pulled the male-end off. If you buy a tuner with a missing curry-colored plug I'm pretty sure the connector is in a wire harness somewhere.

View attachment 830449
Just in case ya'll wanted to see the difference in heat transfer compound, I'm including that. Note I completely bent up the back slots because I'm a gorilla and didn't see I can just tilt the upper housing up.

View attachment 830451
Not really jazzed about the satellite connector being pushed off by that bolt but whatever. Notice my fm connection isn't completely plugged in either, so I only got FM after fixing that.

I had to reinstall software twice via the service menu. It's completely open for me, so I just long pressed the model 3 branding in the software menu, entered "service" and triggered the update while in service mode. All voice commands weren't being recognized after the first restart but thankfully it worked with the second. Calls work fine AFAIK and the siriusXM commands are recognized, but do nothing ("not available yet").

I love the creativity, but have a few questions: 1) How, exactly do you get into service mode? Do you have to be in a SC parking lot? (I have read several threads and scoured Reddit, but still am confused. And 2) Do you think this XM transplant would work similarly in a model Y?

I love the creativity, but have a few questions: 1) How, exactly do you get into service mode? Do you have to be in a SC parking lot? (I have read several threads and scoured Reddit, but still am confused. And 2) Do you think this XM transplant would work similarly in a model Y?

1) AFAIK there is no geofence for service mode anymore; you can do it anywhere now. Not sure if it was an update or a push that went out to do this.
  • Go into the menu (car icon)
  • Select software
  • Below the model of your car is the brand title (i.e. Model Y in your case), press and hold it until a touch response is displayed
  • Type in "service" all in lower case and press enter
  • You'll get a warning yada yada, press enable
  • You are now in service mode
2) I'm not the subject matter expert here but from what I can tell, there shouldn't be any difference
1658296470576.png

The connectors appear identical, save for a missing filter tab on the housing.
1658296613765.png

This is too new of a mod to know if the Model Y software will handle it but there is no reason the Model 3 should be special in that regard. I guess you'll have your own challenges of adapting/connecting the FM appropriately.

EDIT: One crucial thing I forgot to mention: this is in a 2018 Model 3 LR so I don't think the year matters for this mod.

Last edited:
1) AFAIK there is no geofence for service mode anymore; you can do it anywhere now. Not sure if it was an update or a push that went out to do this.
  • Go into the menu (car icon)
  • Select software
  • Below the model of your car is the brand title (i.e. Model Y in your case), press and hold it until a touch response is displayed
  • Type in "service" all in lower case and press enter
  • You'll get a warning yada yada, press enable
  • You are now in service mode
2) I'm not the subject matter expert here but from what I can tell, there shouldn't be any difference
View attachment 830501

The connectors appear identical, save for a missing filter tab on the housing.
View attachment 830502
This is too new of a mod to know if the Model Y software will handle it but there is no reason the Model 3 should be special in that regard. I guess you'll have your own challenges of adapting/connecting the FM appropriately.

EDIT: One crucial thing I forgot to mention: this is in a 2018 Model 3 LR so I don't think the year matters for this mod.
Thank you so very much 👍🏼👍🏼

Reactions: ph0ton
Just wanna add here, I didn't see warnings about the eightwood sirius xm antenna being weak, so I bought it anyways. Even when placed on my trunk, in clear view of the sky, the signal cuts in and out for higher bitrate music channels. I bought a branded antenna to test and will report back if it performs better.

Reactions: ArtK