Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2-SIRIUSXM Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As always, thanks everyone for consistently having detailed and thoughtful answers!

So I have a 2016 Model S P100D. I love my SiriusXM that I had in my camry before this. I have done the things I have read already on these forums regarding rebooting, trying to log into Slacker [won't let me log in], looking to toggle "Sirius" under "Source" options, etc.

My fear is my car did not have the capability at the time? I don't see how a car that retailed at $160k did not have satellite radio. That just seems crazy--but I am new to the Tesla world.

So my question is: Assuming I am not stupid and just haven't been able to find the secret to where it is hiding at, will my MCU2 upgrade next week give me access to Sirius (I am paying for the $500 FM/Sirius upgrade]? The reason I ask is because I don't know if that upgrade is situational: ie, you can pay extra to keep it, but if your car never had the equipment in the first place the optional $500 upcharge isn't available. Can anyone let me know if I will get my Sirius in this Tesla with my new MCU2 next week?

I don't recall all the specifics as I never was really worried about XM radio. There were some roof configurations where they didn't have a way to install the necessary XM antenna. I doin't recall if that was na issue with the pano roof configuration which you have, or the first all glass roof option that became available around the time of your call. That's the thing you need to confirm with Tesla.

Now provided your car has the necessary antenna in the roof, then doing the FM radio tuner upgrade as part of your MCU2 upgrade should still allow you to have access for XM radio.

I should have done a little more searching before my last post, but here's summary of XM radio availability for the Model S. You need to read the fine print under the main table. If you have the UHFS option, then you should find there is not a small storage pocket on the right rear corner of the trunk as that's where the sub-woofer is installed. The person that developed the TeslaTap website is active on this forum and the information on his site in my experience tends to be pretty thoroughly researched, so I consider it as reliable source.

This would suggest your car should have XM capability.

Here is what the 2012-2020 Owners manual says about how to find the XM radio ID.

SiriusXM Satellite Radio (if equipped)​

If equipped, you can listen to SiriusXM, a subscription-based satellite radio service. To receive satellite radio channels, you must provide the radio service provider with the radio ID for your touchscreen.
To display the radio ID:
  1. Touch the radio source icon, then select SiriusXM from the list.
  2. Move the channel selector to channel 0.
  3. The Radio ID displays in the station information area.
To select a SiriusXM channel, you can either manually scroll through channel numbers, or you can browse channels by category.

I should have done a little more searching before my last post, but here's summary of XM radio availability for the Model S. You need to read the fine print under the main table. If you have the UHFS option, then you should find there is not a small storage pocket on the right rear corner of the trunk as that's where the sub-woofer is installed. The person that developed the TeslaTap website is active on this forum and the information on his site in my experience tends to be pretty thoroughly researched, so I consider it as reliable source.

This would suggest your car should have XM capability.

Here is what the 2012-2020 Owners manual says about how to find the XM radio ID.

SiriusXM Satellite Radio (if equipped)​

If equipped, you can listen to SiriusXM, a subscription-based satellite radio service. To receive satellite radio channels, you must provide the radio service provider with the radio ID for your touchscreen.
To display the radio ID:
  1. Touch the radio source icon, then select SiriusXM from the list.
  2. Move the channel selector to channel 0.
  3. The Radio ID displays in the station information area.
To select a SiriusXM channel, you can either manually scroll through channel numbers, or you can browse channels by category.
Thanks as always! So I do have the subwoofer/UHFS and pano sun/moonrood but the radio source icon does not list SiriusXM which is what is so frustrating. I'll just have to ask service I suppose!

Thanks as always! So I do have the subwoofer/UHFS and pano sun/moonrood but the radio source icon does not list SiriusXM which is what is so frustrating. I'll just have to ask service I suppose!
My XM option disappeared from the sources list right after I bought car and did a "factory reset". The reset also killed the login for slacker. just recently I submitted a request and to Tesla's credit they fixed the slacker login for free. I guess I'll go see if they can manage to do the same with the XM option...

Reactions: MdlSP100D'16
My XM option disappeared from the sources list right after I bought car and did a "factory reset". The reset also killed the login for slacker. just recently I submitted a request and to Tesla's credit they fixed the slacker login for free. I guess I'll go see if they can manage to do the same with the XM option...
They did fix my XM for free remotely. I still had some remaining CPO warranty though at the time.

Reactions: MdlSP100D'16
They did fix my XM for free remotely. I still had some remaining CPO warranty though at the time.
Ahh excellent! Good to know. I was checking every one of my order codes earlier {$BP01,$ADPX2,$GLFR,$AU01,$DA02,$APH1,$APD2,$X028,$BTX6,$PX6D,$BS00,$BC0R,$CH04,$CW02,$COUS,$X040,$IDCF,$X027,$DRLH,$AF02,$FG02,$DCF0,$FR04,$X007,$X011,$PI01,$IX01,$X001,$LP01,$LT3B,$MI01,$X037,$MDLS,$DV4W,$X024,$X003,$ZENG,$PMNG,$PS01,$PK00,$X031,$PX00,$PF01,$X044,$TM00,$BR00,$RENA,$RFP2,$USSB,$X013,$ME02,$QTVB,$SR01,$SP00,$X019,$SC01,$SU01,$TP03,$TR01,$TIMS,$DSH7,$MT10L,$UTAB,$WTSS,$WR00,$YFFC,$CPF1} to see if there was anything I did not know or was neat and I saw I definitely do have satellite radio. I'll have to submit a service request tomorrow for sure.