Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I ordered a tuner and am going to try this as well in my 2019 model 3 SR plus. I was going to try this before, but didn't think the mcu would even see it. Here is the info so far that I have gathered...

Sounds like a logical approach. Hopefully you can get your hands on an S/X to sniff that for a baseline, otherwise it might be difficult to tell what is expected. Should also make things easier if you can record tuner-receive packets no both (S/X versus 3) and then do a diff to see how they compare. Might be obvious right there regarding what the 3 is missing (or different).

Mike

So a a bit of an update. I received my model x tuner today and swapped the units. I then went into service mode and reloaded software and sirius xm showed up. To my surprise I heard a blip of audio from the sxm demo channel, then nothing. I then pulled my car out of the garage and repositioned the antenna, audio then started working loud and clear!!! I believe the op may have had issues with the tuner or antenna. One thing I noticed is that theirs not much metal on the car and the signal strength on this tuner is much weaker than my other car, a nissan leaf. You have to pretty much put the antenna on a metal plate to get a good signal, and this might be why they didn't include sxm in the model 3. I swapped housings with my old tuner to make it mountable, and used a fakra curry compatible patch antenna for sxm. I noticed in the op pics, the tuner doesn't have the fakra outside that mine does, and I suspect that may be the root cause if that tuner not working. I took a bunch of pics of the board differences and a video of the audio working between sxm and fm. Do note my fm is incredibly weak now though, and I need to figure out how to make it have two antennas again connect again, as I only have one fm antenna connected at the moment. I also believe the driver side has a power amp that needs the weird black connector to be powered, which the x tuner doesn't have. I'll be doing more research and get some pics up here soon. I would love to know what antenna adapter the op used for fm though as mine seems to suck.

So a a bit of an update. I received my model x tuner today and swapped the units. I then went into service mode and reloaded software and sirius xm showed up. To my surprise I heard a blip of audio from the sxm demo channel, then nothing. I then pulled my car out of the garage and repositioned the antenna, audio then started working loud and clear!!! I believe the op may have had issues with the tuner or antenna. One thing I noticed is that theirs not much metal on the car and the signal strength on this tuner is much weaker than my other car, a nissan leaf. You have to pretty much put the antenna on a metal plate to get a good signal, and this might be why they didn't include sxm in the model 3. I swapped housings with my old tuner to make it mountable, and used a fakra curry compatible patch antenna for sxm. I noticed in the op pics, the tuner doesn't have the fakra outside that mine does, and I suspect that may be the root cause if that tuner not working. I took a bunch of pics of the board differences and a video of the audio working between sxm and fm. Do note my fm is incredibly weak now though, and I need to figure out how to make it have two antennas again connect again, as I only have one fm antenna connected at the moment. I also believe the driver side has a power amp that needs the weird black connector to be powered, which the x tuner doesn't have. I'll be doing more research and get some pics up here soon. I would love to know what antenna adapter the op used for fm though as mine seems to suck.
What model tuner?

Please share what you can on this!

I suspect OP tuner (no farka vs fakra) is different from stutech? See pics

Attachments

• downloadfile.jpg
    downloadfile.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Screenshot_20220715-172704.png
    Screenshot_20220715-172704.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 111
also, assuming this works, who wants to be the one to start manufacturing these for other members? I'm tempted to buy an extra model 3 tuner along with the model x tuner and do the housing swap that way rather than messing with my own stock tuner. the model 3 tuner itself seems much cheaper on eBay than the x tuner...I might try this regardless once I get my car back from the body shop.

Likely only need the back/mounting bracket which could be fabricated at a machine shop but it may just be cheaper to get a spare m3 tuner since they are fairly cheap like you noted.

drilling out the rivets and reconnecting it to the x tuner seems like a much more complicated ordeal than swapping the housing though. maybe that's just me, or maybe I'm misunderstanding what is involved in the swap...

Also, do you have to get a separate SiriusXM antenna? If so how is that routed into the car?

obviously you need a different antenna. the car doesn't have a SXM antenna since it doesn't have a SXM tuner.

just put it on the back deck and run the wire from there to the tuner. I have an onyx plus in my console (have for 4 years now) and the antenna works fine inside the car since the roof is glass.

I will embark the SXM adventure in early August. Just placed an order for a Model X tuner as well. Very exciting!

where did you order from? i'm still trying to figure out if there's a better place to get it than just off of eBay.

i'd love to get a brand new one from tesla, but from what i've read they won't sell you something that doesn't go with your car.

Reactions: ElectricNerd