Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm buying a Tesla M3 and I currently have Sirius in my other car, which I am keeping. Rather than set up a second car or do any of this extra hardware installation, my plan was to just stream Sirius to the car from my phone. Is there an advantage in sound quality to installing a receiver vs. streaming?

I am definitely missing something here but how do you get the wire underneath this panel?

View attachment 1038484
look at the video above.....it is a very well thought out path.....no exposed wiring....also, the magnetic antenna dits on metal and is covered up by the panel....what year is your Model Y? by the way, where did you get the XM tuner and if it is from a model s/x, what year is it......Since the 2024 Model Y has the Ryzen chip, and the new X/M does as well, I am gonna try snd get on from Tesla using my 2020 Model S vin number

I'm buying a Tesla M3 and I currently have Sirius in my other car, which I am keeping. Rather than set up a second car or do any of this extra hardware installation, my plan was to just stream Sirius to the car from my phone. Is there an advantage in sound quality to installing a receiver vs. streaming?
I am streaming from my phone as well right now in my model y.....it ok, but sometimes it does not connect right away.....so I end up having to fiddle with it.....sound is alright, but I have to keep volume up higher than usual.....for what ever reason, my car was supposed to have the premium sound but it doesn't.....that means there is no sub-woofer......also, I dont think it has the middle tweeter......but sounds are ok.....I dont listen to too much music but doe listen to news and sports....

Reactions: JonRD463
Is there an advantage in sound quality to installing a receiver vs. streaming?

I find the sound quality better, but for me that wasn't the biggest factor for wanting receiver vs streaming. With the receiver you control the channels from the car's display and from the steering wheel controls. I don't have to try and handle a phone touchscreen while driving nor try to read small buttons on the phone screen when trying to choose a different channel.

Also, if you're in areas of spotty mobile phone coverage you won't get music, but with a receiver (and a clear line of site to the sky) you still have music even in the most remote parts of the country. There are some built in Tesla limitations here though. When the car starts for your driving session, it uses the Tesla cellular data network initially for a few seconds (no premium Tesla sub required). Without that it can't start the SiriusXM app. You can get around that with mobile hotspot on the phone to jumpstart it if need be. Once the radio is on, internet is not required for that driving session. Its a bad design if you ask me, but it is what it is.

With the receiver, when I start the car, my music is instantly on an available. No messing with the phone to listen. That isn't the case with streaming from phone.

I'm not mechanically-inclined, but I follow instructions pretty well, so I've been monitoring this thread for about six months now until I absorbed and understood everyone's advice and the tutorial posted by crackers8199 here.

I bought a 2020 Model X SiriusXM tuner from ebay a couple of weeks ago and got SiriusXM working in my 2022 Model 3 LR with one glitch and one screwup.

I did the tuner swap without any issues but when I installed the Model X tuner there was no power to it even after several scroll-wheel reboots. So, I removed the new tuner and put in the old one (Model 3) and it was not receiving any power either, again after multiple reboots. Not knowing what else to do, I put the new (Model X) radio in again and, voila, it powered up immediately. Not sure what the glitch was but it somehow resolved itself.

The screwup occurred when, being the clumsy oaf I am, I tore the ribbon cable trying to remove it from the Model 3 tuner. Fortunately, the other FM adapter alone seems to provide the same reception as before so my clumsiness didn't result in any degraded FM performance (as far as I can tell).

I have the SiriusXM antenna mounted on the rear speaker (passenger side) as I have no idea how to mount it on the outside and put the cord inside the panel (see post 740).

Much respect to everyone here who trailblazed this path and displayed an exemplary resolve to get this working in the Model 3 (and Y).

Last edited:
I'm not mechanically-inclined, but I follow instructions pretty well, so I've been monitoring this thread for about six months now until I absorbed and understood everyone's advice and the tutorial posted by crackers8199 here.

I bought a 2020 Model X SiriusXM tuner from ebay a couple of weeks ago and got SiriusXM working in my 2022 Model 3 LR with one glitch and one screwup.

I did the tuner swap without any issues but when I installed the Model X tuner there was no power to it even after several scroll-wheel reboots. So, I removed the new tuner and put in the old one (Model 3) and it was not receiving any power either, again after multiple reboots. Not knowing what else to do, I put the new (Model X) radio in again and, voila, it powered up immediately. Not sure what the glitch was but it somehow resolved itself.

The screwup occurred when, being the clumsy oaf I am, I tore the ribbon cable trying to remove it from the Model 3 tuner. Fortunately, the other FM adapter alone seems to provide the same reception as before so my clumsiness didn't result in any degraded FM performance (as far as I can tell).

I have the SiriusXM antenna mounted on the rear speaker (passenger side) as I have no idea how to mount it on the outside and put the cord inside the panel (see post 740).

Much respect to everyone here who trailblazed this path and displayed an exemplary resolve to get this working in the Model 3 (and Y).
what part number tuner did you buy? I am still looking around to find one

1143716-00-C

There's a 1622932-00-A on ebay but the asking price is rather high.
thank you.....I made a mistake.....I have a 2024 Model Y (Mfg Date: Mar 2024).......I think I need the one that ends with a "B"......I dont think I will have an issue with the install, but need to make sure the unit is 2021 or newer because I have the new Ryzen chip.....the new S and X also use the Ryzen chip, so I am pretty sure if I can get my hands on one, it will work...thanks for your help

I am definitely missing something here but how do you get the wire underneath this panel?

View attachment 1038484
you don’t go under it.

you can see it there, it’s just tucked into that gap and then under the corner which keeps it in place. from there it’s easy to get it under the plastic on the left there next to the trunk opening, and then you can take the trunk weatherstripping off right there to tuck the wire under it.

• Informative
Reactions: helobubba
look at the video above.....it is a very well thought out path.....no exposed wiring....also, the magnetic antenna dits on metal and is covered up by the panel....what year is your Model Y? by the way, where did you get the XM tuner and if it is from a model s/x, what year is it......Since the 2024 Model Y has the Ryzen chip, and the new X/M does as well, I am gonna try snd get on from Tesla using my 2020 Model S vin number
this is the model 3 thread.

This reflects my experience installing this piece of equipment. The car will not talk to a tuner if it has been plugged into it while its low-voltage system is energized (YMMV on this). A simple double-button restart did not resolve the issue. I needed to reinstall the OS in order for the tuner to start working again.

• Informative
Reactions: helobubba
I would keep listening too if I had that, I'm surprised truthfully that they are still in business.

Its never a bad thing to admit your ignorance on a subject.

It sounds like you're not aware of the business model or the customer base that uses the service, but its very much a viable business. SiriusXM had $8.95 billion in gross revenue (total sales) with $1.25 billion in net income (profit) in 2023. If you're not familiar with the business world, an example that might help is that Ford motor company only had a gross revenue at $176 billion with a net income of $4.3 billion in 2023. So SiriusXM's profit margins (amount of money per customer that is profit) are *significantly better* than even Ford motor company.

You might use a service like Spotify instead of SiriusXM. For the same time period (2023) Spotify had a net income of $-576 million. So they lost over half a billion dollars in the same time SiriusXM made a positive $1.25 billion. So the better statement may be, I'm surprised Spotify is still in business.

This might give you a bit more insight on how SiriusXM is still in business.