Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experienced model S drivers - any driving tips and tricks you can share?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Longer trips should be planned with EVTripPlanner.com. At first you'll want to max out the battery and will worry about range, but the trip will go more quickly if you are staying in the low-end of battery charge, rather than keeping it tip-top. Since you charge faster when emptier, it is more efficient to stop at an SC, grab 15-25 minutes worth of charge (anywhere from 80-150 miles when you're good and low) and then stop again. This'll put you at a stop about every 1-1/4 to 2 hours if you're averaging 80-85 (heh, the whole Go Slow thing doesn't work for me) which is perfect the the aging prostate and to stretch, grab a water and go on. In my limited experience it makes the trips considerably less fatiguing, more fun and I get the joy of getting into my S again and again. Lovely.

So about a week after delivery of my S85D I have started to get used to the very different driving dynamics of an EV, and as it is quite different from the experience of driving a traditional ICE car, I can't help but wonder what things about driving people could have learned after driving an S for thousands if not tens of thousands of miles.

I'd be very curious to learn from you experienced drivers out there about basically anything that you can share with new drivers like myself. Doesn't have to be mind-blowing or life-changing type of tips, just anything that you think we new drivers could benefit from knowing, or anything you know now that you wish you knew earlier that has become part of your driving habits.

To begin with a specific question, are there driving habits that you picked up which have helped driving more energy-efficiently?

Avoid Trees.....

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though, Just take it easy if you want range, and enjoy it if you don't.

Drafting Semi's are great in emergencies to get a bit extra range. Especially if you have TACC that can react quicker then you in case of braking.