Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVSE is a terrible name

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. This.

This should be common knowledge, but as someone who has studied and taught English, the language changes over time -- quite a bit and quite fast, actually. Definitions and what is correct change based dominant usage patterns. To try to fight that for a technicality that originated with engineers is perhaps less intelligent than using the "wrong" terminology.

As a person who has been doing computery stuff as a hobby for decades, this incorrect common terminology has bothered me a lot, and I don’t know where it came from.

When referring to a computer, there is the monitor, mouse, keyboard, and then people refer to the box with all of the stuff in it as “the CPU”. AAARRRGGGHHHH! NO! The CPU is one piece inside there that fits in your hand. It’s not the whole tower.

In the end its completely irrelavent what the "Correct" terminology is.
Your average consumer certainly doesn't care.
Joe public is going to start buying EV's when there are only advantages and few disadvantages.
Does it really matter that they refer to charging the battery as "filling up the tank" or calling the charge cable the "fill-up hose".
Technically correct terms mean nothing to your average car buyer now, why will that change for EV's :biggrin:

A single charger in the MS allows it to be charged at 40 amps (10kW) rate or 23 miles per hr. of charge.
The second charge in the MS (Dual Charger) allows it to be charged at 80 amps (20kW) rate or 56 miles per hr. of charge.

The UMC has a maximum output current rating of 40 amps.
The HPWC has a maximum output current rating of 80 amps.

Hence the advantage of the HPWC and a MS with dual charger is the ability to charge the MS at twice the rate of the single charger MS, hence you have the opportunity to save hours when charging if an HPWC can supply 80 amps (actually anything more than 40 amp saves time).
I like the dual charger option because I can arrive at a hotel destination check-in and have the MS fully charged (4-5 hrs.) by the time I go to bed and I sleep knowing the MS fully charged!!I check the charging status from my room using my phone and retrieve the MS from the charge station once charging is complete; leaving the HPWC available for another MS to charge overnight.The Supercharger supplies DC voltage directly to the MS battery and bypasses the MS internal single and dual acV chargers.

The correct terminology for the High Power Wall Connector or Universal Mobile Connector is "Charging Station"
However the Tesla terms "Wall Connector (permanent)" or Mobile Connector (movable)" is not that confusing because it does not conflict with other terminology in the standard.They both include:

1) ground fault circuit interrupter
2) charging control circuit - communicates the maximum current available and allows the MS to turns on/off the Charge Station output.
3) user display

Want more Terminology? see the attached EVSE standard UL 2594 definitions section 5. Not very pretty!! but this it the standard terminology for EVSE.

You were right on track until you provided the incorrect range mph figures ...
The correct values are 29mph at 40A and 58mph at 80A with a HPWC.

HPWC.png

The only problem with the term "charger" is the problem of educating the public that the onboard chargers must be upgraded independent of the EVSE. Tesla sort of failed to advertise the dual chargers properly in terms of making the public understand that both the onboard charger and EVSE must be rated at high amperage to deliver higher charging speeds.

Maybe it's time to take a cue from GSM and change the meaning of EVSE. GSM started from a European committee called "Groupe Spécial Mobile" (say that in French). They then changed the name to "Global System for Mobile Communications," much better for advertising.

What is a good, public meaning for EVSE that will catch on?

(ref: GSM - Wikipedia)

The only problem with the term "charger" is the problem of educating the public that the onboard chargers must be upgraded independent of the EVSE. Tesla sort of failed to advertise the dual chargers properly in terms of making the public understand that both the onboard charger and EVSE must be rated at high amperage to deliver higher charging speeds.
Yep. The public needs to understand that they're separate and that either one can be bottlenecks. When they incorrectly call an EVSE a charger, it's likely they don't understand the two separate pieces and the possible bottlenecks.

I'm ok w/calling L2 EVSEs terms like charging station, charging dock along w/Tesla's terms. L1 EVSEs are often called by automakers stuff like "occasional use cable" (BMW-speak), trickle charge cable/cord (set) or charging cable, besides just EVSE.

From the '13 Leaf manual, there are passages like these:
"Trickle charge uses the EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) or an SAE J1772 compliant cord set to connect the vehicle to an AC 110 - 120 volt, 15A dedicated outlet..."

"Trickle charging is performed using an AC 110 - 120 volt, 15A dedicated electrical outlet using the EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) provided with the vehicle.
• The genuine NISSAN EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) charging equipment or trickle charge cable performs a communication function with the vehicle before Li-ion charging starts. If this communication does not occur because other equipment is used, the Li-ionbattery will not charge."

"Take out the EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) or trickle charge cable from the rear hatch."

Last edited:
And then there's the matter of what it's called in other countries. The official term in the mother country is EVSE, just as it is in the US but we refer to it as a 'charging point' (we would not say 'charge point' any more than we say 'swim pool') and all receptacles - power, tv, phone, network etc - are called 'points'. So it's clear here that an EVSE is not a charger. As someone said, it's important to get the terminology right.

As acronyms go, I don't think EVSE is too bad.

Great article that should be required reading for all owners Electric Vehicle Charging Levels Explained

http://insideevs.com/charging-levels-explained-bower/

Most people refer to AC EVSE’s (Electric Vehicle Service equipment) as “chargers” but technically they are not. The charger is actually on board the vehicle. The on board vehicle charger converts household AC current to DC current since EV batteries are DC. The EVSE is the little box on the wall of your garage (generally 220V) or the portable unit that lives in the trunk of your car (generally 120v). These EVSE’s are an intermediary between your vehicle and the outlet in your home. The EVSE “talks” to your car and determines things such as what the maximum charging power the car will take and whether there is proper grounding.

charging-levels-gb-4-750x314.png

AC chargers generally use household AC power (either 120V or 240v). Level 1 AC is 120v and level 2 is 240v. The maximum power you can get with a level 1 charger is 1.9 kw. That is the power you will get from your portableicon1.png 120v AC EVSE. It is set by the maximum current available out of a 20 amp 120v wall outlet.

Stepping up to level 2 AC charging, we are at 220V and a maximum of 19.4 kw which corresponds to 80 amps. Most plug in Hybrids are level 1 or Level 2 AC. The Volt’s AC charger is 3.3 kw level 2. The Spark EV’s level 2 charger is also 3.3 kw while the Nissan Leaf is 6.6 kw. Note that these vehicle are not pushing to the high end of level 2. The high end of AC Level 2 (19.2 kw) is usually for a pure BEV like a Tesla.

There is a level 3 AC category which would be higher than the level 2 maximum of 19.2 kw but this category is currently undefined.
DC chargers do not reside in the vehicle as AC chargers do. The charger is contained in the large cabinet that the charging cord is attached. Level 1 DC goes to a maximum of 36 kw. Level 2 DC goes to a maximum of 90 kw.

Currently level 2 DC is the highest level defined by SAE specification at 90 kw. Anything higher than 90 kw falls into level 3 which is TBD. However the preliminary upper limit is 240 kw.

charging-levels-gb-3-750x519.jpg

All this is really nice - but Joe Public doesn't even understand the difference between fuel grades or the impact of the ethanol that gets added.
To them, premium gas is "the good stuff" and somehow more powerful.
They can barely understand why diesel shouldn't go in the gas tank - only the different fillers prevent more mixing.

What hope does "EVSE" and all of the associated tables and charts have?

All this is really nice - but Joe Public doesn't even understand the difference between fuel grades or the impact of the ethanol that gets added.
To them, premium gas is "the good stuff" and somehow more powerful.
They can barely understand why diesel shouldn't go in the gas tank - only the different fillers prevent more mixing.

What hope does "EVSE" and all of the associated tables and charts have?
Correct. They'll understand "plugging in the charger". They'll understand "you use this adapter for the one at walgreens, this adapter at home, and this regular plug adapter in case you've got to charge at uncle Ned's house (which is really slow). Oh, and superchargers plug right in." That's what we should ASPIRE to!!! Broad adoption, and no need to understand infrastructure.

I'm in agreement with several of the latest posts outlining the need for easy-to-understand terminology for the general population. If it requres a table to understand, people won't bother.

And while pondering, I realized what I don't like most about "EVSE": it's awkward to refer to in the singular. The acronym stands for "equipment", which means you can't really call it "an EVSE", like you can say "a gas pump" or "a charger". It' s a category, not a thing.

You would really have to say "a piece of EVSE". Ick.

And it's an unwieldly acronym to try an pronounce. "Evvsee"??

This is a first for me...
Yesterday I was asked why I didn't use a supercharger to go longer distances (in my Leaf!).
His eyes glazed over during the explanation of why this wasn't the case :)
The small "s" was significant - first time I'd heard this phrase as a generic descriptor. Like googling on the internet or photoshopping a picture.

You have to be willing to adapt.

When I talk to electricians or people who know better, I use "EVSE" because it's the term that applies in the NEC. I do agree it's awkward and difficult to use and I dislike the singular unit of such, too.

When I talk to people who just want to drive a vehicle, I call it a charging station like many others.

When I talk about charging my Android phone, I don't talk about the "power supply" that delivers 5V over a USB cable to the phone - I call it a "charger" despite the fact the charger itself is actually onboard the phone. And I certainly don't correct anyone else on their use of that, as long as it doesn't have an impact on what they're trying to communicate.