Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My own experience - although limited - and other stories I've heard along the way, suggest that Evie chargers are better maintained/more reliable/both than those of Chargefox, even though they are almost all Tritium. Perhaps Evie is getting more of the newer RTM75's?

If only there had been a trailblazing company who rolled out a global design template for Charging Sites, that are reliable and customer friendly.
It helps when that other company has massive gobs of money available, plus a willingness to spend it on sizable transformer installations, and a willingness to install enough stalls to fill the transformer's capacity, courtesy of vertically integrated manufacturing that works out to a modest $USD43k per stall instead of ~5x times that if they bought them from other vendors.

And I thought #TritiumFail is a local problem because they are focusing on exports while ignoring the relatively small local market. Apparently, Ionity has a team now to fix the chargers on their own rather than rely on Tritium.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
I think that's what Tritium is suggesting to larger buyers.
Certainly in Australia, on one of the interview with BP they mentioned they were cross-training their petrol pump techs to also work on the BP Pulse chargers (also Tritium).
(As an interesting data point Gilbarco Root, one of the biggest petrol pump manufacturers had a stake in Tritium and purchase option prior to the Spac/IPO)

Not sure whether Evie has their own team of technicians, or use third parties or Tritium? Has anyone seen a technician at an Evie site?

Also I guess a general question as to what should be a reasonable life for these chargers, particularly early ones. Remember they live a pretty hard life going from 0- high power quickly, and due to the heat involved need to be actively cooled meaning they can't be fully sealed.

(Ot. But that Eveleigh site I mentioned in #920 has seemingly now been properly faulted)

Last edited:
Not sure whether Evie has their own team of technicians, or use third parties or Tritium? Has anyone seen a technician at an Evie site?
Had a good conversion with a technician at the NRMA charger at Nabiac that he was fixing. Told me he comes up from Sydney to work on the local chargers in the area including the Evie chargers at Taree. He worked for Tritium he said.

Had a good conversion with a technician at the NRMA charger at Nabiac that he was fixing. Told me he comes up from Sydney to work on the local chargers in the area including the Evie chargers at Taree. He worked for Tritium he said.

Did you ask him if he could explain why the failure rate of Tritium units appears to be so high?

PS. Both Evie chargers at Taree are back online.

but this happens at basically every charger they install.
Don't think it's every.
Indeed I can't think of a single Evie Arena site in Sydney that's had post commissioning issues.

Think many of these are more down to the incoming power supply not delivering properly when put under load, rather than the actual charger itself.
Tesla had issues with its brand new transformer in Blaxland and delaying opening by a month, and some first weekend hiccups at Campbeltown.
And BP obviously had issues at its Ingleburn site.

Doesn't really explain why brand new chargers are going offline within weeks of being commissioned. Sure if it was a one off, you could say the parts were DOA, but this happens at basically every charger they install.
Pretty sure I explained what the technician thought was mainly causing these chargers to go offline at least in this area where he serviced ie vandalism.

Not convinced. I have only ever seen one obviously vandalised DCFC in my 3+ years of EV driving, that was in Walgett, and it still worked.
I would submit that if you had seen and heard the evidence the technician provided and had knowledge of what I will call the "social phenomena" of the local area where I live and regularly work throughout you may have a differing opinion. I already had suspicions of why for instance the Taree chargers are IMO regularly offline and the Tritium technician merely confirmed them for me.

This "good conversation" I spoke of earlier with the Tritium technician happened earlier this year and lasted for nearly 3 hours.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Not convinced. I have only ever seen one obviously vandalised DCFC in my 3+ years of EV driving, that was in Walgett, and it still worked.
Talking to the NRMA guys at their EV Drive Days, one of the examples they had was someone trying to pry/break into some of their DCFC, which of course triggers the safety system and the machine faults.

Someone trying to force their way into the DCFC - even if it is just enough to fault the machine - is what NRMA consider vandalism.

I would submit that if you had seen and heard the evidence the technician provided and had knowledge of what I will call the "social phenomena" of the local area where I live and regularly work throughout you may have a differing opinion.

I did say “obviously vandalised” meaning visible damage. I’ve driven a lot around NSW, VIC and some of southern QLD, and Evie Taree would be one of the ones I use the most. The NRMA charger at Walgett is the only one I’ve ever encountered that was physically damaged (screen and card reader smashed).

If a DCFC can be taken offline due to physical interference without any visible damage, then I posit that is poor design. Did the tech give specific examples of the types of physical actions that could take down a DCFC without any obvious damage?