Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a TCO comparison between M3 and Civic. Even without the tax credit, the TCO are comparable.
Thank you that’s a good breakdown. I came to the same conclusion assuming no tax credit, when you really look at the details, the Honda Civic is not going to be less money for most. The video puts 15,000 as the number for miles a year but I’m hitting more like 28,000+ so there is no question the model 3 is going to be less, especially after to 5 year mark. Also living in CA with the new taxes being added to fuel it’s even worse

Reactions: tgal
Here is a TCO comparison between M3 and Civic. Even without the tax credit, the TCO are comparable.

This is factoring if someone is willing to paying MSRP. Who pays MSRP off a dealer's lot? You can probably get the civic for 25k off the lot with TTL.

2018 Civic Touring
Invoice
icon-info.jpg
MSRP
icon-info.jpg

Base $24,794 $26,700
Options $0 $0
Destination $890 $890
Total $25,684 $27,590 *

our daily commute is 10-14 city miles, so Civic-Model 3 is more apples-apples to us, or maybe apples-organic apples.

Although now my wife is aware that Model 3 did not win MT car of the year and the CR-V won SUV of the year, so now its a 3-way competition for her: bare bones 3 vs. decently optioned Civic vs. CR-V... really scared that we’ll end up with the SUV if the tax credit is killed.

I would expect the auto manufacturer lobbyists to be in arms right now at the loss of the federal tax credit, or not at all if they secretly want EVs to die off again.
Just gave Tesla a virtual monopoly for electric vehicles in the US as other manufacturers can't compete without the credit.

And they've just locked all of us auto manufacturers out of the China EV Market because us auto manufacturers will be behind the curve in EV development now...

Just gave Tesla a virtual monopoly for electric vehicles in the US as other manufacturers can't compete without the credit.

And they've just locked all of us auto manufacturers out of the China EV Market because us auto manufacturers will be behind the curve in EV development now...
Why can't the other manufacturers compete without the credit? I would think they could just eat the costs by passing them on to their ICE cars. I know they don't want to though. But are the regulations still in the law somewhere for compliance or are all those just state laws?

I guess I thought it would be the opposite and would hit a pure EV company harder. I'm confused.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: boiler81
Why can't the other manufacturers compete without the credit? I would think they could just eat the costs by passing them on to their ICE cars. I know they don't want to though. But are the regulations still in the law somewhere for compliance or all those state laws?

I guess I thought it would be the opposite and would hit a pure EV company harder. I'm confused.
They'll likely have to do this thanks to the California Air Resource Board (CARB) and the Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) credits otherwise risk huge financial penalties for not selling enough zero emission vehicles.

It will be interesting to see where car manufacturers price their EVs and PHEVs without the help of the federal tax credit. At the current price point the sales will tank, but if this forces auto manufacturers to price those vehicles according to the "free market" I'm curious to see how far the prices will go. However, this is assuming that auto manufacturers priced these vehicles higher to take advantage of the tax credits being passed to the consumers. If these prices reflect how much they need to sell the vehicles for, then I would think we can expect sales to drop significantly in the short run (2018).

• Informative
Reactions: JenniferQ

Loss of the tax credit will slightly shift the EV transition out in time, but not completely prevent it since the rest of the world has more or less kept its sanity and is promoting EVs.

Ultimately though, Tesla ends up "winning" because they would have been the first (by far) to phase out their credit and would have been competing against automakers that could effectively price their vehicles $7500 higher. So Tesla lost about a year of credits, but all other manufacturers (except GM) lost several years.

Loss of the tax credit will slightly shift the EV transition out in time, but not completely prevent it since the rest of the world has more or less kept its sanity and is promoting EVs.

Ultimately though, Tesla ends up "winning" because they would have been the first (by far) to phase out their credit and would have been competing against automakers that could effectively price their vehicles $7500 higher. So Tesla lost about a year of credits, but all other manufacturers (except GM) lost several years.
I think this is accurate. Losing the tax credit will cause some cancellations from people trying to justify the Model 3 over a Honda Accord, but not to anyone that really wants a great EV. The rest of the world has already given the nod to EVs only by 2030/3040, etc, so manufacturers will still be building them. I just think this will make some of them hold off a little longer, until they can get battery costs down.

I don't know how GM expects to sell any Bolts at full price though. This will effectively kill that car.

Reactions: JenniferQ and RTPEV
Good for Tesla as a company, but maybe not the best thing for their goal of converting the world to EVs ... Tesla can't do it alone.

Oh yeah, no doubt this is going to set back the transition. The US may not be the biggest EV market any more, but it's still significant and this is definitely a blow. The worst part is that it will cause the unintended consequence of less choice and more expensive cars (not just EVs) in the US market as automakers shift their focus even more to China.