Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ibtl00183f.jpg

I'd guess 80% or more of Tesla owners are Trumpists.

Not to hate on your guessing abilities, but... I really doubt it.

Especially considering how many Teslas are sold in California (i.e. a LOT), and the fact that Trump lost California by over 30 points.

Also, many 'Trumpists' aren't exactly environmentalists, but many EV buyers are. Pretty hard for an EV buyer with any pro-environment leanings at all to square the circle of supporting a guy who pulled us out of the Paris agreements, is a climate-change denieer, and who's actively trying to ram dirty ol' coal as an energy source down all our throats. :eek:

I'd be a bit surprised if even 30% of Tesla buyers were 'Trumpists'. And that actually isn't much below Trump's current overall approval rating (37%, last I checked).

Last edited:
If I am understanding the rules correctly, this means we would still be eligible for the full $7,500 tax credit as long as we take delivery of the vehicle by September 30, 2018?
Correct.

Last hard data we have is Tesla at 161,571 at the end of December.

My latest estimate based on what appears to be the current ramp (based on Tesla guidance as well as empirical evidence from the Model 3 invites spreadsheet ) is that they are around 190,306 as of March 31. Definitely puts them into 2Q.

Ryan McCaffrey from Ride the Lightning podcast claims to "Have it on good authority" that the decision to move Canadian deliveries up to Mid 2018 (and delay new deliveries of Model X until June) is to extend the tax credit to 31 Dec 2018. Take it for what it's worth.
That would make me happy, and put me firmly within full tax rebate Territory, assuming no further delays of course....