Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This evening, I asked folks at Tesla if there anyone at there keeping track of the different tax incentives that are available (or will be coming available in the next few months). Would there be any help from Tesla to help owners know what they may be eligible for.

He claimed that beyond the stuff they add to their incentives page they do not have the resources to give much more help.

2008 Tax Law spells doom for Tesla and others

In September 2008, Congress created a $7,500 tax credit for battery-electric and extended-range battery-electric hybrid vehicles. The amount of the tax credit depends on the size of the battery pack (in kilowatt hours of capacity). A battery-electric a 16kWh battery would qualify for the maximum $7,500.

Presumable the new tax law is modeled after the 2006 hybrid tax credit law. I don’t think this is going to work for the electric car industry. Unfortunately, if you'll remember, Congress made a tax credit available for hybrid vehicles in 2006, where Toyota Prius qualified for the top tax credit of $3,150. This tax credit turned out to be a kind of government rope-a-dope, where first you buy the car at full value, thinking you’d get the advertised tax credit. Then a year later when you do your income taxes, you learn the credit is subject to an Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) test, where most all middle and upper-middle income couples with children don't qualify for any of the tax credit -- that's the 'dope' part -- the American taxpayer.

My spouse and I didn't receive a dime in tax credits for the 2006 Prius purchased in February 2006, due to an alternative minimum tax 'test' that applies to the federal income tax credit. At the car dealer, I stood in line and paid top dollar for the car. At the time I purchased the Prius, there was no IRS guidance on the amount of the credits or how the credits would be administered. Purchasers had to act on faith that the federal credits were legitimate as advertised. A Prius purchased in February 2006 qualified for the full $3,150 credit (hooray!), but we got nothing ($0.00)! Got it? Nothing!!!!! Incidentally, my spouse and I don't earn enough to come under the AMT, but the AMT test still disqualified us from the credit completely. We both work and our AGI was $98,000, so go figure. I have read other postings on the Web that claim families of four with AGI (income) of between $80,000 and $750,000 don’t qualify for the hybrid tax credit. I don’t like citing this claim, because I don’t have independent verification from a tax accountant or IRS official, but I have read this in more than one Web posting. As I said, our AGI was less than $100k and we got no tax credit on the Prius, so why would we think our family would qualify for a $7,500 credit on a Tesla?

On the low end of the income scale, families earning less than $80k should not buy cars costing as much as a Tesla. At the high end of the income scale, I doubt there will be enough Super Rich Americans willing to buy enough Tesla to keep a factory production line running at a volume level necessary for commercial viability. I conclude that the 2008 Tax Law spells doom for Tesla and others trying to get battery-electric cars to market. Tax law amendments anyone?

Blog post on Tesla site by Michael van der Sande detailing different tax incentives available.

Tax incentives: Why the Roadster costs less than its sticker price - Tesla Motors - think

Nearly 150 lucky customers took ownership of their Tesla Roadsters in 2008, but 2009 could be the best year yet for new owners, thanks to a wide range of tax incentives in the United States that in some cases shave 10 percent or more off the cost of the car.

Many states are rolling out additional perks – from free parking at Los Angeles International Airport to carpool-lane privileges even when you’re driving solo. Some states offer grants of up to $5,000 toward the purchase price and even 100 percent sales tax exemptions

It goes through and talks about the Federal $7500 as well as various state tax incentives and other rebates. It is a somewhat updated and detailed version of the Incentives page they have on the TM web site.

And the vote for free CA registration for EVs was a week ago Thursday, Great timimg!

Too bad it failed.

Oh, you will also miss the CA $5K rebate that ran out of money in March but will start up again in a new agency September.

:frown:

vfx,

Can you elaborate on that? I am scheduled to take delivery of my Roadster in late September and if I am eligible for a CA rebate I would love to take advantage of it.

Access to the HOV lanes is a powerful incentive. Of course the irony is that hybrids and EVs are the cars best equipped to cleanly and efficiently deal with stop and go traffic. They also more noticeably take an efficiency hit when driving at speed.

Yes, and EV/Hybrid drivers are more inclined to drive a little slower to keep the efficiency up, so those that see the carpool lane as the "fast lane" are sometimes disappointed.

With the ~75MPH top speed of my RangerEV, I sometimes find someone tailgating and flashing lights impatiently in the carpool lane even though we are already 10MPH over the speed limit.

---

Driving through Palo Alto at ~6PM in the Carpool lane I find I get about 45MPH where the other lanes are crawling at ~20MPH.

---

Thanks for the articles, VFX... I figured a debate like this was coming soon, but hadn't thought to check for stories just yet.

Solo hybrid drivers may lose carpool lane privileges -- latimes.com

whites
Now, lawmakers want to up the ante. A bill by Assemblyman Ted Lieu (D-Torrance) that the Assembly passed this year would extend the carpool lane exemption to 2016 but limit it to drivers of vehicles powered by electricity, natural gas or some other alternative fuel. ..."What we're saying is that the hybrid isn't good enough anymore," said Adam Keigwin, chief of staff for Sen. Leland Yee (D-San Francisco), sponsor of the Senate bill.

White stickers granting the same carpool-lane exemption were authorized for electric cars and vehicles powered by alternative fuels such as natural gas. There was no limit placed on these stickers, and so far about 9,500 have been given out.

I have #9007.
Makers of alternative-fuel vehicles fret that failing to extend the deadline for the white stickers could remove an important incentive for potential buyers.

In California, what are the benefit differences between a white sticker and a yellow sticker?

None that I know of, other than the fact that bay area requires hybrid carpool sticker owners to have a FasTrak device (even if they never use the special bridge lane), but CNG and EV white sticker owners don't have such a requirement.

Randomness: CA CHP pulled over my RangerEV today and said it was because I was solo in the carpool lane. When I said I had stickers they said "I didn't see any yellow stickers!". I had to pull out the paperwork and explain that I had EV stickers. One benefit to the yellow stickers is that the CHP is more aware of them. My white stickers on a white vehicle make them a bit too discreet at times.

Last edited:
White sticker (EVs) don't have to pay bridge toll ? (Or what am I misunderstanding? [whishful thinking?])

White sticker owners don't have to get a FasTrack device first.
Yellow sticker owners in the SF Bay Area do.

I guess it is a bit of a moot point now since all the Yellow stickers are already long since allocated... But those who got them before had to get a FasTrack too.