Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error messages abound, parking brake stuck, and a 5000 lawn ornament. HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After you have reinstalled the handbrake motors and they are connected to the car, you also need to activate that function manually. I did shifted several times from P to D which after the new unit eventually started to operate as should.

Pulling pins before probably bringing to service seems like a bad idea.....

One other discovery - since I unplugged the parking brake module, the rear hatch refuses to work - it just beeps 3 times angrily at me when either button is pressed, but I didn't see an error for that module in the list. - interestingly I just remembered that it also beeps when the fob is used. Maybe it IS still on the CAN bus then.

I do find it curious that ALL the recurring module errors and the parking brake (which might be the module or it might not) all happened at the same time.

The first incident was a week ago (ish) and the following all popped alerts on the dash screen for my sister:
Parking brake, ESP, ABS, steering assist, airbag - this may not be the full list as it was 5:30 AM and my sister was somewhat distracted by not being able to get to work. The car DID still drive at that point. When it finally timed out from not being willing to shift to park (either the parking module OR the shifter maybe not communicating at that point) it DID set the parking brake which was where I found it.

So at that point on first wake up (batteries connected the whole time though), the brake module wouldn't communicate to release.... Which seems to suggest that the EPB module is the fault. If disconnecting that also cut off the rear hatch from the CAN bus, that might suggest that the EPB wasn't the terminator, BUT now there's a gap in the bus if they are all wired in series?

If it is the EPB module though.... How does a module just "go bad" like that? There's no source of voltage spikes, everything else is still connected.... SO CONFUSED.
“How does a module just "go bad" like that?”

Earlier today the mobile tech person replaced (at my specific request) the Electronic Parking Brake Module —due to (most of) the same problems annunciated above… how I arrived at this juncture is a longer story, which I will not take up space with here right now, but suffice it to say, to me, all signs pointed to a bad EPBM.

The fun part of the story is: upon the completion of the job the service person handed me the removed box. yay! Made my day.

This evening I took it apart, I dunno, just to see what I could see I guess, and man, what an exquisite piece of work: immaculately clean, no apparent defects (nothing scorched, crudded up, no signs of cracked solder, or dead insects)… on the face of it all was good.

But what did grab my attention was that, in this otherwise completely solid-state marvel of modern technology, were two small-as-a-sulphur-match-head little buttons: spring-loaded buttons, Active Players that are presumably either electromagnetically pulled-in to engage, or relieved with current removed, to return to some relaxed state of disengagement.

That, in a nutshell, might just be the answer to the question of “How does a module “just go bad” like that?”: moving parts. Any time there is a spring-loaded switch, there exists the very item that just might give out — or intermittently start to give out.

My car is a 2012 S-Model. Over these twelve years, how many thousands of times —or tens of thousands of times— has that parking brake been exercised: set & released: how many cycles of that? Things do wear out, after all.

I don't know if the installation this new box today will fix my intermittently-occurring, seemingly like-themed problems, but I am optimistic: the discovery of these two spring-actuated (or electromagnetically-held) switched and/or relay’d items, gives me hope.

“How does a module just "go bad" like that?”

Earlier today the mobile tech person replaced (at my specific request) the Electronic Parking Brake Module —due to (most of) the same problems annunciated above… how I arrived at this juncture is a longer story, which I will not take up space with here right now, but suffice it to say, to me, all signs pointed to a bad EPBM.

The fun part of the story is: upon the completion of the job the service person handed me the removed box. yay! Made my day.

This evening I took it apart, I dunno, just to see what I could see I guess, and man, what an exquisite piece of work: immaculately clean, no apparent defects (nothing scorched, crudded up, no signs of cracked solder, or dead insects)… on the face of it all was good.

But what did grab my attention was that, in this otherwise completely solid-state marvel of modern technology, were two small-as-a-sulphur-match-head little buttons: spring-loaded buttons, Active Players that are presumably either electromagnetically pulled-in to engage, or relieved with current removed, to return to some relaxed state of disengagement.

That, in a nutshell, might just be the answer to the question of “How does a module “just go bad” like that?”: moving parts. Any time there is a spring-loaded switch, there exists the very item that just might give out — or intermittently start to give out.

My car is a 2012 S-Model. Over these twelve years, how many thousands of times —or tens of thousands of times— has that parking brake been exercised: set & released: how many cycles of that? Things do wear out, after all.

I don't know if the installation this new box today will fix my intermittently-occurring, seemingly like-themed problems, but I am optimistic: the discovery of these two spring-actuated (or electromagnetically-held) switched and/or relay’d items, gives me hope.
Oh! Got Photos?

Oh! Got Photos?

IMG_1509.jpeg
IMG_1510.jpeg
IMG_1511.jpeg
IMG_1509.jpeg
IMG_1510.jpeg
IMG_1511.jpeg

Reactions: hydro and mongo
Cool, thanks!

Those switches are not used when installed on the vehicle. Likely, they are normally open (inactive) switches used with the 2x7 headers to reset/ program the microcontrollers the first time. Or possibly inputs for a module self test routine. That said, if contamination/ corrosion built up inside the switch somehow it could theoretically activate and impact operation (but that's unlikely).

Reactions: ewoodrick
Apologies for the duplicate photos… this is my first day on the forum and I’m finding my way.

I will note also that the five silver canisters on the circuit board I believe are capacitors, and capacitors are (in my limited experience) known items prone to deterioration or failure, with age.

Those two white buttons (at either end of that little cityscape of copper columns) at first struck me as potentially as offering manually-actualized Reset-like possibilities, but there was no way that was the intent, as the plastic shell housing this whole thing was nestled in clearly was designed as a one-way assembly, with six cleats holding it securely in place. It was a bear to get apart.

If one gets this far into it don't be tempted to fiddle with anything, just replace the box, is what I’m saying. I don't pretend have any idea whatsoever what (if anything) might have actually been the culprit here (although now, I’m really more liking the capacitors as the perps): I’m just observing, and acting as a reporter of what I see.

Time will tell if this box replacement solves my problems (brakes sometimes not releasing for a bit, spurious untrue messages appearing all at once and then vanishing, and most disturbing, an occasional —at extreme low speeds (i.e. at a creep, and only in reverse, when parking— phantom engaging of braking, like I had tapped the brake pedal). Three separate work-visits to the dealer shop did not produce a lasting fix, so finally I just called the shots on yesterday's specifically-targeted job request.

The quality of in-depth knowledge and wisdom about the car found at the dealer shop these days isn't what it used to be, in my experience. Don't get me wrong, they are okay, but they used to be way better.