Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enter from Passenger Side?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
First post. I ordered my 60 last week and delivery expected in June. I started my plans to wire-up my garage for charging. I'm thinking about backing my MS into the garage but due to size limitations, entry from the driver's side will be difficult. I wonder if climbing across the console from the passenger side is feasible. On paper, it seems feasible due to the lack of a center console and it looks possible from pictures, but without seeing in person, it's hard to tell. I wish I would have thought about this during my test drive.

Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

I cannot appreciate you garage size limitations. In my situation, I have a 2 car garage. We back nod car in and the other car straight in. This gives us the center to get out the driver door. All passengers must exit prior to going into the garage. The HPWC cable is long- over 20 feet and reaches pretty far, easily to the other size rear of the car. The S is a little longer and wider than my previous car, but it works in my situation.

First post. I ordered my 60 last week and delivery expected in June. I started my plans to wire-up my garage for charging. I'm thinking about backing my MS into the garage but due to size limitations, entry from the driver's side will be difficult. I wonder if climbing across the console from the passenger side is feasible. On paper, it seems feasible due to the lack of a center console and it looks possible from pictures, but without seeing in person, it's hard to tell. I wish I would have thought about this during my test drive.

Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

Is there a store, I mean, gallery, near you? If so, maybe you could try it out in the floor model without needing an actual test drive. Just explain the situation to the Tesla employees there.

I've climbed across a few times in really tight charging stalls (I hugged the wall on the drivers side as I had to back in and wanted to have a lot of room on the passenger side to avoid dings) and while it's doable, it would get very old, very quick. Actually it was more of a chore than it looked without a center console...you're still wrenching your leg over that area just as if a console existed (trying not to kick the screen) as you're getting your legs from the passenger foot basing to the driver basin and doing some awesome maneuvers as you try not to crash into the black hole where a center console would be.

Either relocate the outlet location (1st choice), or if it costs and arm and a leg to do so, you could have the outlet installed where you originally planned and then use an industrial extension designed for 50A and has 14-50 ends. I bought this cable and use it--it handles the charge load without a problem: Amazon.com: Camco 55194 50 AMP 15 PowerGrip Extension Cord: Automotive

It is a SUPER beefy cable (~1 1/4" in diameter), yet it's extremely flexible and easy to handle; They must use braided wire given the flexibility. The build quality is awesome--it feels super durable. And, it's made in the USA!

Last edited:
Here are some pics of my 50A extension cable mentioned above. Sorry, the uploader keeps rotating the first image, making it sideways.
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG