Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's remember that we don't really know what Smart Park is. It might be "Smart Summon + Auto Park" or it might just be a better version of Auto Park. I do remember Elon hinting that Auto Park would eventually be able to work with just parking lines and no adjacent cars. That might be Smart Park. If it is just a better version of Auto Park that works with lines then yes, I could see Enhanced Autopilot owners getting it. But let's not get our hopes up just yet when there are so many unknowns.

It'll be interesting to have a car that can flawlessly navigate parking lots, cognizant of parking lines, with Enhanced Summon on HW2.5, yet is completely incapable of parking between lines. Seems somewhat improbable - but also possible that they'll just throw in the towel and move on to HW3 FSD feature development since I agree the delivery of Smart Park is not explicitly required based on quick research here.

With how much time and effort it has taken with smart summon, I definitely see this being what happens.

This is far from definitive, makes no reference to Smart Park (kind of a new thing?).

Elon Musk on Twitter

Do be sure to expand to see what he was referencing.

I read this to mean that EAP will have everything that FSD has except the city driving and sign recognition and response. Obviously ambiguity remains but that does not seem like an unreasonable interpretation of this exchange.

It's all relatively academic though, since we don't know whether Enhanced Summon will ever be delivered in a usable form.

As far as I can tell, there's really no way right now to know more about what the parking capabilities will be...maybe more tweets can be dug up (there is a tweet for everything)...but it seems that EAP and FSD could match in that regard based on what has been said so far...

To be clear, this is what I was talking about. Elon Musk on Twitter

As for whether EAP receives smart autopark or not, the likely answer seems to be not because enhanced summon was the final feature listed in the EAP description. Autopilot

Of course, all of this is subject to change as we know. And some of it just might never appear. This is why I used the word "allegedly".

As for whether EAP receives smart autopark or not, the likely answer seems to be not because enhanced summon was the final feature listed in the EAP description. Autopilot
That doesn't mention Autopark at all. I guess us folks with Enhanced Autopilot are stuck with crappy beta auto park forever. It's funny that the computer that was thought to be capable of FSD just a couple years ago can't even park between two lines. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence about predictions that HW3 will be capable for FSD. I'll just have to continue to park manually like a savage. :(

That doesn't mention Autopark at all. I guess us folks with Enhanced Autopilot are stuck with crappy beta auto park forever. It's funny that the computer that was thought to be capable of FSD just a couple years ago can't even park between two lines. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence about predictions that HW3 will be capable for FSD. I'll just have to continue to park manually like a savage. :(

Ye of little faith. If it can lane keep, it can see lines. Don’t lose hope! Elon says it is coming!

It should be assumed that HW3 and HW3.5/4 will not be enough for level 4 or 5. Level 3 on HW3 could make sense to me, but we don't know until we get there. I mean, hey. Maybe the autopark feature we have now will improve to the point where it doesn't curb peoples wheels in the next year or two. That would be a good improvement.

I would love to know how a system which, at the short ranges involved with parking only has omnidirectional sonar to work with, plus one fisheye reversing camera, is expected to self-park based on lines on the driving surface.
I assume it would map the space before hand using the other cameras and then use landmarks and inertial guidance to localize the car as it steers into the space.

Doesn't give me a lot of confidence about predictions that HW3 will be capable for FSD.

Level 3 on HW3 could make sense to me, but we don't know until we get there.

This is off topic from Enhanced Summon, but as has been discussed elsewhere, the FSD delivery (the one being sold today) is pretty clearly only a level 2 system, for it to be a 100% complete delivery. It’s not required that it be safer than a human driver. It’s all in the description. I think HW3 can handle that!

Very optimistic about the chances of Autopark and Enhanced Summon coming to HW2.5 though. It’s ok to be optimistic because if it doesn’t happen I am not going to be upset! Just a little sad. But Elon says it is coming to HW2.5, so right now feeling really good about it.

Last edited:
[...] the FSD delivery (the one being sold today) is pretty clearly only a level 2 system, for it to be a 100% complete delivery. It’s not required that it be safer than a human driver. It’s all in the description.

I disagree in part. The FSD currently provided today is clearly Level 2 and partway to Level 3. However, they pledge that it will be capable of full L2-if-not-L3 autonomy:

Tesla Model 3 FSD Descrption said:
Coming later this year:
  • Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.

The NHTSA defines L3 as:
NHTSA said:
Level 3: An Automated Driving System (ADS) on the vehicle can itself perform all aspects of the driving task under some circumstances. In those circumstances, the human driver must be ready to take back control at any time when the ADS requests the human driver to do so. In all other circumstances, the human driver performs the driving task.
Until and unless the requirement to keep your hand on the wheel at all times goes away, we will be at L2, so it really depends on just exactly what is meant when Tesla says 'Automatic'.

This is off topic from Enhanced Summon, but ashas been discussed elsewhere, the FSD delivery (the one being sold today) is pretty clearly only a level 2 system, for it to be a 100% complete delivery. It’s not required that it be safer than a human driver. It’s all in the description. I think HW3 can handle that!
I would argue that a prototype (beta) Level 3-5 system is promised. Obviously this doesn't matter in terms of user experience since human supervision is required in either case.

I disagree in part. The FSD currently provided today is clearly Level 2 and partway to Level 3. However, they pledge that it will be capable of full L2-if-not-L3 autonomy:

The NHTSA defines L3 as:

Until and unless the requirement to keep your hand on the wheel at all times goes away, we will be at L2, so it really depends on just exactly what is meant when Tesla says 'Automatic'.

Too off topic for this thread, but you should read some of the other discussions on this. FSD is a level 2 system as it is clearly stated that it does not make the vehicle autonomous. Tesla hopes for more but it is not required or promised.

Too off topic for this thread, but you should read some of the other discussions on this. FSD is a level 2 system as it is clearly stated that it does not make the vehicle autonomous. Tesla hopes for more but it is not required or promised.

FSD as sold today is.

FSD as sold the first 2+ years is explicitly a higher level system.

FSD as sold for most of its life said:
The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver's seat.