Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ending "Tire Anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happened to me on a trip from California the Denver was a total false alarm!

I've received this false warning most of my long road trips, typically after I've been driving for over a few hours. And I've taken nearly a dozen long road trips. I'd estimate receiving this warning at least 7 or 8 times. Fortunately, I had read a few accounts of this bug on TMC and the warning light went away after stopping to charge and re-starting the car.

Is my understanding Tesla has not changed alignment specifications. That sometime in 2013 completely wrong never right for anyone specs got in the Hunter database. And Hunter equipment is used at the factory. So everyone got an exact alignment to the wrong specs, over and over again starting at the factory until the problem was found. Problem was fixed by the time my 85 was built in December 2013. At 13k miles my 19" tires are wearing very evenly..

The last time I was in--a few weeks ago--they set the toe-in in the rear to over 2 degrees. This caused feathering within a few hundred miles. I complained but they said that was the new spec, and they wouldn't change it. There was no feathering before they messed it up.

IMG_3076.JPG
At least the car told me to pull over! I was doing 70 on the freeway when I got the "pull over safely" message yesterday. And yeah, the air compressor's not fixing this one.

The last time I was in--a few weeks ago--they set the toe-in in the rear to over 2 degrees. This caused feathering within a few hundred miles. I complained but they said that was the new spec, and they wouldn't change it. There was no feathering before they messed it up.
Presumably you have 21"s? Toe-in is going to increase stability at the expense of tire wear, so maybe this was how they decided to move away from staggered fitments for the P85D, and simply propagated that alignment spec to all non-staggered vehicles?

On the other hand, that's a TON of toe-in. The previous spec on that was between 0.2 and 0.6 degrees. They quadrupled it? Your SC has to be mistaken, right? Like we weren't having enough alignment-related tire issues already, they're going to go out of their way to start causing them?

Is that a red screw in the sidewall by the blue mark?

No, that's just a leaf. I never found what caused the half inch hole in the tread. The blue stuff is the slime that I tried to use to fill the tire on the side of the road with the air compressor. Just put a new set of Pirellis on since I was about due for all new tires (24k miles, not bad). But all in total it took about 5 hours of my time including the tow. A lesson for those who want aftermarket wheels and tires...it's a pain when things go wrong.

The solution is simple. Sell your hulking behemoth and get a Roadster. It will tell you the tire pressure in each tire all day long. Yeah, I don't know why they went backwards on the Model S.

And believe me, when you are in a Roadster, you automatically avoid all the potholes. Ugh. (The car seems to be fine after hitting them, but man does it make a nasty noise).

Not on your (or my) life! Roadster: great awesome car. MS: Fxxxing AWESOME intergalatic time transport machine!

Just throwing this out there for a data point. My P85 went through its first set of tires at 12k with a tire rotation at 6k. Second set about the same and both first sets OEM Continentals. Now I'm on Hankooks and they seem to be wearing much better at 10k miles and Tesla say they are using a new laser-guided alignment machine. Don't know how much is the tires and how much is alignment though. Each time the report said that toe was out of spec.

Just throwing this out there for a data point. My P85 went through its first set of tires at 12k with a tire rotation at 6k. Second set about the same and both first sets OEM Continentals. Now I'm on Hankooks and they seem to be wearing much better at 10k miles and Tesla say they are using a new laser-guided alignment machine. Don't know how much is the tires and how much is alignment though. Each time the report said that toe was out of spec.
Ha I only got to 8150 miles on P85 before the rear tires were racing slicks and the right rear was through two layers of cords on the inside edge. Only tread left was left tire outer edge last inch or so. Didn't rotate but aligned twice after delivery. Fronts only worn 1/32". It was so bad I didnt dare drive it once I saw the damage. A dozen demo rides but no real spinning the tires. A few slips in the rain that's all. Thankfully I have spare wheels and just put one of those on to get it to the tire shop. Had new tires already in advance. $20 and like new again. Of course Tesla wanted $50 each tire mounted and balanced:crying: I thought Elon said service was not going to be a money maker.
Anybody in FL need spares? I have two silver 21" with 7/32" tread tires left that fit in frunk. PM if interested.