Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, that’s lovely…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woke up to find my phone only half charged… apparently I moved it after placing it on my wireless charger.

Then, on the way to work, I went to turn off my fog lights… to find a low tire pressure light. The screen with the pressures said it was 32 psi, while the rest were 46/47.

Initially stopped to check as soon as I crossed the intersection I was at, but couldn’t really tell. It was probably because of the dirt and grass obscuring the view. Once I got to work, it did look a bit flat.

Went to grab my portable compressor I got from Amazon to check (to confirm)… only to find it has zero power. Not surprising since I left it unplugged for so long. Had to unplug my phone to charge the compressor. Got it charged to about 4% and was able to confirm it was at 32 psi. Tried adding some but it died almost immediately after adding the 2 psi it lost when the connection moved and let out air.

Plugged it back it to charge while I did a delivery and then got food. Able to then up the pressure to 45 psi. Should be close enough to the rest, but my plan is to check it as I go. If it’s a fast leak, I’ll switch to my spare. Otherwise, I’ll just add as needed until I can get it patched tomorrow (I won’t be done with work until about 9 pm).

Oh, I did find the source…

IMG_0802.jpeg

Ps… I kinda wish there was a stickied thread, something like what you did and what happened to your car. I’ve seen this in two of the car forums I previously visited (an HR-V forum, I forget the specific name and FitFreak). I mean, I’d rather post this in a more general thread than create a separate one for it.

• Informative
Reactions: petercc9
Well, the good news is that the screw's on the fat of the tread; no problem getting it either plugged or patched.

And, y'know, over here one Tesla happens to have a Tesla Special air pump/flat tire kit; the other Tesla has a $15 (or whatever it was) air pump from Advanced Auto or something. Both of them plug into the 12V socket in the center console. You've got one that needs a battery charge?

Well, the good news is that the screw's on the fat of the tread; no problem getting it either plugged or patched.

And, y'know, over here one Tesla happens to have a Tesla Special air pump/flat tire kit; the other Tesla has a $15 (or whatever it was) air pump from Advanced Auto or something. Both of them plug into the 12V socket in the center console. You've got one that needs a battery charge?
Yeah, I got this one:

DENVIX Tire Inflator Portable Air Compressor, 2X Faster Inflation Cordless Air Compressor, Electric Air Pump for Car Tires with 15000 mAh Battery Capacity, 45W 3X Faster Charging Amazon.com

I wasn’t confident a 12v based from Amazon would work too well with the 16v LV system. Plus, I did have a need to charge up my iPad or phone sometimes, so being able to take the chunk with me, away from the car helps. Of course, it doesn’t work, if I don’t charge the power bank itself.
Charging my Amazon bought Vaclife compressor back up to 100% now after reading this
Yes, don’t be like me…

I tried a self plug kit in the past and struggled quite a lot with it. I took it to a shop after giving up, to find that it helps if you pressurize the tire to “stretch” it. But unfortunately, it would still be enough of a struggle for me to have a sore arm the next day.

That being said, Discoint Tires does free repairs anyway. Easier for me to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDiesel1
You can plug that thing without even removing the wheel and call it a day.

Personally, I think if the time comes (hopefully never), I'll prefer plug over patch for these foam lined tires. This is after reading some of the horror stories. My thinking is that the reamer tool then plug, will punch through the foam liner without too much disturbance. Patching means cutting out some of the liner, which may contribute to more liner becoming detached.

Reactions: Stan930
You can plug that thing without even removing the wheel and call it a day.

Personally, I think if the time comes (hopefully never), I'll prefer plug over patch for these foam lined tires. This is after reading some of the horror stories. My thinking is that the reamer tool then plug, will punch through the foam liner without too much disturbance. Patching means cutting out some of the liner, which may contribute to more liner becoming detached.
It’s a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS I bought with 19 Enkei wheels, so it’s not EV specific.

As mentioned before, I struggle with trying to plug it, while it was already unmounted, so it’s still a no-go while mounted.

It’s a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS I bought with 19 Enkei wheels, so it’s not EV specific.

As mentioned before, I struggle with trying to plug it, while it was already unmounted, so it’s still a no-go while mounted.
Long ago, in a Galaxy Far Away, when I was much younger and was running around in a bought-from-my-dad '71 VW Beetle, I had one of those plug kits in the front trunk. (They didn't call them frunks in those days.. What was in the rear was the engine.)

Got a flat on the body of the tread. I did jack up that wheel so it wasn't on the ground. Using the patch kit, "needled" out the hole a bit, put the thick rubber in the eye, slathered it all with rubber cement (in the instructions), and pulled the rubber string on through. Waited until the rubber cement cured, sliced off the excess rubber with a sharp knife, and pumped the tire up with the bicycle tire pump kept in the trunk. Drove off with no problems. Luckily, the bead didn't come off the rim, so the bike pump worked.

The last couple of flats I had before a Tesla meant pretty much using the jack and the spare, then running the wheel with the flat to the nearest auto shop. It's either free or $20.

With a 2018 M3, I found a Rock at the side of the road in the dark which put a pretty good hole in the sidewall. Here in Central NJ, Tesla runs one of those repair-your-car trucks and one came by within 40 minutes and swapped me a replacement wheel. The local Service Center replaced the tire with a new one that I got from some place in Texas; I went back, they swapped in the original wheel with the new tire, and shortly after that, I invoked TireRack's hazard warranty on the dead tire. Got the money back for that, not bad.

Reactions: petercc9
I took mine to Discount Tire and they plugged it for free even though my Tesla had OEM tires not bought from them. I was fully expecting to be charged. I guess I did buy a set of tires from them last year for my wife's car. They will advise you of any cost beforehand so you have nothing to lose.

Reactions: Discount Tire
I took mine to Discount Tire and they plugged it for free even though my Tesla had OEM tires not bought from them. I was fully expecting to be charged. I guess I did buy a set of tires from them last year for my wife's car. They will advise you of any cost beforehand so you have nothing to lose.
Same situation. I had bought tires from them for my old M3. My MY got a screw just like OP and I took it in and expected to be charged but I think because I was already on file it was free. They also do free tire rotations if you're in the system. Only problem is they're very busy so your best bet is schedule an appt.

I realized I might have to schedule an appointment after I posted.

That being said, last night, I had to quickly switch over to the OEM wheels because my sister needed me to drop her and her family off at the airport this morning (just got back home). I didn’t want to drive 2-3 hours (round) on the highway on a tire with a screw in it nor on a narrow spare.

Made a couple of goofs… I put one of the center covers on, but forgot the other three. I don’t even remember why, other than I was trying to finish up quickly, to then finish cooking so I could have my 11pm dinner.

The other goof? Well, I used a puck and only realized after getting home that I forgot about that one too! Luckily the magnet was strong enough to keep it in place. OMG, wtf is wrong with me.

I tried a self plug kit in the past and struggled quite a lot with it. I took it to a shop after giving up, to find that it helps if you pressurize the tire to “stretch” it. But unfortunately, it would still be enough of a struggle for me to have a sore arm the next day.

That being said, Discoint Tires does free repairs anyway. Easier for me to do that.
Do they do roadside service ? This set will get you back on the road and not waiting hours for a tow truck.
I ride motorcycles and get in remote places. It would be way to expensive to rely on someone to come to
the rescue, when I can do it myself and continue on with the group. I don't rely on anyone, but myself. YMMV!

Do they do roadside service ? This set will get you back on the road and not waiting hours for a tow truck.
I ride motorcycles and get in remote places. It would be way to expensive to rely on someone to come to
the rescue, when I can do it myself and continue on with the group. I don't rely on anyone, but myself. YMMV!
I have a spare tire if it had been worse than that minor leak.

What is your setup ? Thanks!
I put the spare in the right passenger leg area, because I have crates in the cargo area for my delivery orders.

I’ve seen where someone modified the sub trunk a little to put a spare in there. It lifts the entire floor up about an inch (I think), which I don’t mind. But, I’m not sure I’m ready to cut up the liner just yet or the fact one side is held by a strap while part of it overhangs the deep part of the subtrunk. Maybe someday I’ll figure out a way to make it work for me.

Till then, I have to do a ton of shuffling whenever I have to switch between carrying deliveries vs people (and luggage), like today.

Reactions: DrDiesel1
I put the spare in the right passenger leg area, because I have crates in the cargo area for my delivery orders.

I’ve seen where someone modified the sub trunk a little to put a spare in there. It lifts the entire floor up about an inch (I think), which I don’t mind. But, I’m not sure I’m ready to cut up the liner just yet or the fact one side is held by a strap while part of it overhangs the deep part of the subtrunk. Maybe someday I’ll figure out a way to make it work for me.

Till then, I have to do a ton of shuffling whenever I have to switch between carrying deliveries vs people (and luggage), like today.

Where did you get a rim and tire ?