Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enclosed wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- Does anyone have a picture of a decent looking car with enclosed wheels? I haven't seen one. Maybe aero wheels can get most of the gain.

This is the only vehicle that I can think of recall seeing that looked good IMO with enclosed wheel wells.

20.jpg

^Audi RSQ from I, Robot. Pretty cool. I wonder if those air scoops cancel out the gains from the enclosed wheels. Presumably they are for cooling the brakes. I guess this is a general problem with enclosed wheels.

Here's another Audi concept.

audi-intelligent-design_TLcUk_5965-300x160.jpg

Edited to add:
OK, one thing I notice about these two is that the ground clearance is very low. Not practical in the real world. So you end up with the tires peeking out from below which tends to look funny. This is the image that comes to mind.

640px-Honda_Insight_Back.JPG

Ick.

Last edited:
They pulled it off back in the 50's with cars like the Bel Air.

1954-Chevrolet-Bel-Air-3.jpg

I don't think anything since really has, I know there are lots of people that love the Citroen DS, but it just doesn't work for me. Maybe its the flared wheel arch? Seems to be a common feature in the 50's enclosed wheel cars that the newer ones don't have. It seems to be missing on all the newer cars and might be part of why they don't look quite right. Having the flares though probably reintroduced a lot of the drag that covered wheel arches eliminates though.

Last edited:
With most cars the enclosed wheels were a pain if you had a flat--especially if it wasn't nice out. With the DS, you just undid one bolt at the rear and the entire quarter panel came off. Changing a tire was almost fun--especially because you didn't have to jack up the car and could drive it on three wheels until there was a safe place to change. One of the two best cars I have ever driven.