Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Employee who sent $30,000 off email was FIRED!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are more than two factors at play here, that much is obvious. Completely ignoring Tesla's history of discounting inventory beyond obvious math is disingenious and/or ignorant IMO.

There are more than two factors at play when looking at the history of deals available from Tesla. Some of them can not sustain the PR narrative IMO.
You can disagree with my post, but the math doesn't lie regarding the inventory discounts. If you want to claim that Tesla dropped the base price of a newly configured, optioned P100D by 20 grand to drive sales, I won't argue. The huge inventory discounts are a result of a massive price drop on new builds, not the other way around.

Well, but this is simply not true in a wider sense. Tesla has offered discounts on new inventory cars many times. And yes, beyond any price change math.

It has usually coincided with quarterly goals...
I've only been following the forums closely since I bought my car a month ago, so I can't speak to previous quarters. There's 100s of discounted inventory cars now though, surely you could find one that substantiates your claims.

I've only been following the forums closely since I bought my car a month ago, so I can't speak to previous quarters. There's 100s of discounted inventory cars now though, surely you could find one that substantiates your claims.

I have no need to substantiate something was widely documented here and even Elon admitted (Q3/2016). Now, the other thing, whether this is still on-going, I'll leave for others to research if they so choose. I have my opinion on that as well, though. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: dennis
I have no need to substantiate something was widely documented here and even Elon admitted (Q3/2016). Now, the other thing, whether this is still on-going, I'll leave for others to research if they so choose. I have my opinion on that as well, though. :)

So we all show cars with 20k+ discounts attached and show they're not against current prices but you feel you don't need to find one car that proved us wrong, you just come out with the same story time after time and that Elon said so. Elon said EAP would be better than AP months ago and that FSD would be here by now too..not sure he's the best commentator

Here is a data point. I got my fully loaded S75D end of Sep 2016. It was a showroom car with 50 miles on odometer, which was what other news cars had then. It was not a demonstrator, loaner or otherwise driven except to bring it from NJ to my dealer in NY after i signed on the dotted line. When the various discounts and waived costs were added, the discount amounted to 15K off the then current sticker, which was 99K. I applied this to the cap cost reduction on a two year lease, which resulted in a payment of under 700/mo for 10K mi per year thanks to an unreasonably high residual.

Here is a data point. I got my fully loaded S75D end of Sep 2016. It was a showroom car with 50 miles on odometer, which was what other news cars had then. It was not a demonstrator, loaner or otherwise driven except to bring it from NJ to my dealer in NY after i signed on the dotted line. When the various discounts and waived costs were added, the discount amounted to 15K off the then current sticker, which was 99K. I applied this to the cap cost reduction on a two year lease, which resulted in a payment of under 700/mo for 10K mi per year thanks to an unreasonably high residual.
Ignoring the discount, since I have no idea what was happening with MS prices last year, you bring up a very good point with the lease. Unrealistic residuals are a way to discount your payments, but leave you with a residual that no sane person would ever pay. There's no way Tesla is recoup that residual at lease end.

Nitpick underlined.

That was the key question last year... who is left holding the bag on the high residuals? They were based on a history of no discounting, but since last year the discounting has been predictable and consistent...

I'm hoping to scoop up one of those P90DLs (refresh AP1) when they come off lease next year! There should be a proper flood. Nice step up from the 75 I'm slumming in now

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones

EAP or original AP1? I'm guessing AP1 and cleared out to make way for the change. A custom order at that time would have turned up with EAP as the cars from Oct 2016 all did so you couldn't buy your car as a custom order.

Reactions: dennis
I have no need to substantiate something was widely documented here and even Elon admitted (Q3/2016).

I don't see how what happened in the past is relevant unless you can show us at least one case where it occurs today.

Elon not only admitted it, he said it can not occur in the future. We're in the future. Is it occurring? That's the issue as I see it.

So we all show cars with 20k+ discounts attached and show they're not against current prices but you feel you don't need to find one car that proved us wrong, you just come out with the same story time after time and that Elon said so. Elon said EAP would be better than AP months ago and that FSD would be here by now too..not sure he's the best commentator

Agreed except to note that Elon does say a lot of things that turn out not to be true but this isn't an example of one of them, at least in my view.

Thanks for the information -- it's good to know. But when you say "or otherwise driven" you don't need to be driven to be a "floor model" and you only need to be on display once to qualify for that definition. Perhaps you can call it semantics but Musk said there could be discounts to floor models, vehicles that had been used for testing or those that were damaged in delivery.

There's always deals to be had. My advice is not to post your deal here until you have wrapped it all up or don't be surprise if they pull it off the table. They don't want those deals posted and they do watch here, in my guess at least.

Reactions: GSP
There's always deals to be had. My advice is not to post your deal here until you have wrapped it all up or don't be surprise if they pull it off the table. They don't want those deals posted and they do watch here, in my guess at least.

IMO your opinion is not probably that far away from mine.

All I'm saying basically. I just take my conclusions from that not wanting those deals posted a bit further.

Also, I don't find it plausible Elon did not know about Q3/2016 discounts in advance.

Reactions: Swift and u00mem9
Ignoring the discount, since I have no idea what was happening with MS prices last year, you bring up a very good point with the lease. Unrealistic residuals are a way to discount your payments, but leave you with a residual that no sane person would ever pay. There's no way Tesla is recoup that residual at lease end.

It is the leasing company that sets the residual. They acquire the car from Tesla and utilize the tax rebate as they see fit, perhaps to create the artificially high residual. In some previous leases with Jaguar, they had insurance on the residual and had no interest in negotiating the buy out; they sent the car straight to auction.

In my case the lease is US Bank who have seemed unsophisticated to the point of incompetence in my dealings with them, so who knows how they will handle lease end. Given the popularity of the two year lease at last year 3Q end, I won't be surprised if a bunch of these go to auction in a year causing the resale on Model S to tank.

Thanks for the information -- it's good to know. But when you say "or otherwise driven" you don't need to be driven to be a "floor model" and you only need to be on display once to qualify for that definition. Perhaps you can call it semantics but Musk said there could be discounts to floor models, vehicles that had been used for testing or those that were damaged in delivery..

I have no intention of entering the "how many angels can dance on the head of an Elon tweet" debate. I know that discounts on non-showroom models were available a year ago because i was offered 5K+ discount on pretty much any inventory S; I think this is what enraged Elon. I opted to go to with a much better discount on an undriven car.

Based on what I see, they are not discounting inventory cars, but folks who want great a deal instead of scoring semantic points can still get one. In fact, I'm looking for an X.

AP1 or 2?

You can disagree with my post, but the math doesn't lie regarding the inventory discounts. If you want to claim that Tesla dropped the base price of a newly configured, optioned P100D by 20 grand to drive sales, I won't argue. The huge inventory discounts are a result of a massive price drop on new builds, not the other way around.

I am not disagreeing with the fact that there is some price adjustment going on in inventory all the time to reflect current customer order pricing, so you can stop arguing something that isn't a disagreement. :)

I am disagreeing with the notion that this is the only type of discount available. Basically IMO there is reason to believe Tesla does offer deals to move inventory cars, contrary to what they claim as their policy.

As you yourself admit, you have been following this for a very short time. My view is based on a pattern of history, it is probably pointless to argue with you the details when you are ignoring or ignorant of that.

I have no intention of entering the "how many angels can dance on the head of an Elon tweet" debate. I know that discounts on non-showroom models were available a year ago because i was offered 5K+ discount on pretty much any inventory S; I think this is what enraged Elon. I opted to go to with a much better discount on an undriven car.

I guess it needs to be pointed out, but there is the school of thought that Elon's enragement and tweet could have been just for show. They were suspiciously timed one day before the end of the quarter. Did he really not know what was going on before then?

Some of feel this firing of an employee and the statements made afterwards could fit a similar pattern of keeping up appearances. Of course we (nor you) can never know for sure what, who, exactly.