Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Employee who sent $30,000 off email was FIRED!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's Tesla's problem. If they explained the discount better then they wouldn't need to conceal it. They don't even display the discount prominently on the Tesla site so it shouldn't be a big deal. If you see an inventory model that's $2,600 less than your custom order and it clearly states that it's 2 months old, missing the Subzero package and has AP2.0 vs. AP2.5, then you can make an intelligent decision.

When you're linked to an inventory car from a 3rd party website and it shows a $20,000 discount, most people probably won't even bother to compare it to a custom build.
Tesla don't show it at all, so when a sales guy punts an email out, especially when it's wrong, it's a problem for Tesla.

The whole point of this latest debate is that the discounted cars are not the same as new orders because they have old versions of AP, don't have included power tail gate when it became std fit, don't have premium pack including upgraded hifi when that changed, don't have the latest motors. Where they are the same, the price is invariably close. Where the difference is 30k, there us a big difference in west you get, or, there's been a price drop since that car was delivered and that 'discount' is largely the price change.

Reactions: dennis
The whole point of this latest debate is that the discounted cars are not the same as new orders because they have old versions of AP, don't have included power tail gate when it became std fit, don't have premium pack including upgraded hifi when that changed, don't have the latest motors. Where they are the same, the price is invariably close. Where the difference is 30k, there us a big difference in west you get, or, there's been a price drop since that car was delivered and that 'discount' is largely the price change.

To clarify, that is your point in the latest debate. Others disagree.

If you think everyone pays the same price, you are the guy paying the most. That phenomenon also is true down at the Chevrolet dealer BTW, despite some of you wishing it wasn't true.

I have to admit, the gymnastics some have been able to perform to avoid acknowledging that Tesla discounts brand new cars to make deals and meet quarterly quotas are impressive. I don't doubt anyone's sincerity, even though that makes it worse.

That I agree with 100%. Every inventory model for sale should be listed on Tesla's site in the New Inventory section, even demos. You should not have to deal with an OA to find the discounted cars. It makes it look like something shady is going on.
I disagree. Tesla has been moving aggressively over the past 12+ months to selling the majority of cars from inventory builds rather than from custom builds. I've had 5 friends take delivery of a new S or X in the past 90 days. All 5 were purchased from inventory.

If only half of US sales are from inventory, that would mean 6000-7000 such sales per quarter. Which implies 3000-5000 cars in inventory at any one time. Do you believe that overwhelming the prospective buyer with a listing of all of those cars is the right image for a premium/luxury brand? I sure don't.

As for the demos, the store manager needs to be in control of which particular demo cars are offered for sale, based on aging parameters, availability of replacement inventory, etc.

I agree that Tesla can do a better job in this area. But not by showing a list of 5000 available inventory cars.

I am well aware of the difference between Tesla's business model and the traditional dealership. Do you really think that 500K Model 3 drivers will hew to the political correctness of Tesla speak? We'll just have to get used to "gas pedal", "wall charger," "dealer" and other misnomers.
I don't worry about the other 3. The "dealer" one has political, economic, and consumer implications that matter, IMO. You can thank the NADA and others for that.

I can't understand what some of you are claiming. Every time I look at EV CPO, there are numerous cars that are brand new, and have discounts.

Model S P100D 5YJSA1E45HF207424 | Tesla

This car is currently $145.2k...it would be $150.5k if ordered new, (Ludicrous mode is included in the new build)

Am I missing something? The claim by Leon, etc. was that EVERYONE pays the same (list) price. That is clearly not true. What's the point of contention?
You're missing that 207424 also has the High Amperage Charger, so that makes it an even better deal. ;)

I'm guessing ... What you're probably missing is showroom wear and tear (rather than driving wear and tear) and age. I don't know the age of 207### VINs.

The only issue I addressed was whether Elon knew that inventory cars--i.e., not loaner, demo, floor model, etc--were being discounted before his reaction.
Loaner, demo, and floor model are inventory cars. So your point here is confusing to me.

I'm guessing you mean "not yet unloaded from truck or even unwrapped" inventory cars belong in a special class that should be protected from discounting. I don't think that's the case. I suspect the discounting algorithm doesn't discount those cars much -- unless they've been on a truck a long time or they have a feature set that was recently upgraded, or both.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you mean "not yet unloaded from truck or even unwrapped" inventory cars belong in a special class that should be protected from discounting. I don't think that's the case. I suspect the discounting algorithm doesn't discount those cars much (unless they've been on a truck a long time), unless they have a feature set that was recently upgraded.

I guess the whole point is, some of us feel there are deals beyond any consistent "discounting algorithm", and certainly have been. The logical conclusion would be these have been to drive sales.

I guess the whole point is, some of us feel there are deals beyond any consistent "discounting algorithm", and certainly have been. The logical conclusion would be these have been to drive sales.
It's abundantly clear that you believe that. It's also abundantly clear that others disagree. What might not be so clear, but is obvious to me, is that neither group will be able to convince the other with facts barring some whistleblower inside Tesla that is credible. (And even then who knows.) So what left is there to discuss in this thread (while remaining on-topic)?

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
It's abundantly clear that you believe that. It's also abundantly clear that others disagree. What might not be so clear, but is obvious to me, is that neither group will be able to convince the other with facts barring some whistleblower inside Tesla that is credible. (And even then who knows.) So what left is there to discuss in this thread (while remaining on-topic)?

You, sir, have just described the Internet. :) Who knows where it will end...