Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It isn't that hard to shield against EMF. Yes it should be a consideration in designing any vehicle that emits a significant amount of EMF (and that means not just EVs!). But I'm a bit more concerned about how much benzene is given off by the millions of gas cars all around me. And of their carcinogenic exhaust. There are people who think nothing of the health and deadly consequences of standing around filling a gasoline tank that is venting to the atmosphere - and are worried about EMF exposure.

I'm sure there are sevearl smokers who are worred about EMF exposure as well.

It amazes me to see what we become complacent about and what we worry about. Mostly we tend to worry about anything new, or that we haven't yet thought much about. The OLD concerns don't matter since they haven't killed us personally yet. :)

You're right Darell, it really is incredibly easy to incorporate EMF shielding into most products - and some manufacturers have done this. But so many are either too cheap or too lazy to take the tiny bit of effort to do this.

So, Ben -- have you had a chance yet to take some updated measurements with the new meter? I'm looking forward to finding out if it uncovers anything at the higher frequencies.

Some preliminary results, using my new 40hz - 100khz electric field meter. During charging the AC electric field is negligible; doesn't even register in the cabin, so <1 volt / meter. (Strong magnetic field though.) But while driving, I've measured peaks of about 20 volts / meter up near the headrests. Most of the rest of the cabin reads 0 - 2 volts / meter.

Incidentally, sometimes my AM radio reception works fine, and sometimes it's abysmal. I recently figured out that not the drivetrain but actually the HVAC that kills the AM reception! Heater on, nothing but static and squealing. Heater off, clear signal. Go figure.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
For reference, the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection specifies the following guidelines on EMF exposure limits: General public, 24/7 exposure: 5kV/m electric, 1000mG magnetic. Since the highest peak EMFs I've measured in the Roadster are 20v/m and 50mG (under full acceleration), it's orders of magnitude below these limits. My Roadster recently passed the 5000 mile mark, and I ain't giving it back!

Incidentally, sometimes my AM radio reception works fine, and sometimes it's abysmal. I recently figured out that not the drivetrain but actually the HVAC that kills the AM reception! Heater on, nothing but static and squealing. Heater off, clear signal. Go figure.

Hey Ben,

Thanks for doing this.

Which radio do you have? When you say heater, does that include the seat heaters?

For those not up on the lingo 5K = 5000

A hybrid's battery is small relative to a BEV. Perhaps the best group to "study" are former EV1 owners, particularly those that drove the vehicle from '97 - '03.

Many RAV4EV drivers drove EV1s for years before they got taken away and they switched to the RAVs. Several RAV drivers have over 100K miles on them. I am surprised Darell hasn't chimed in more vehemently here as a long time EV driver, but knowing Darell (EVnut), maybe it DOES cause damage!! No, he was that way before, and we love him anyway.
Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting the review and podcast. Based on Dan Neil's review I would not be too worried about battery fires; but would think about EMF fields and the long-term impact, particularly on children.

Then you had better worry about the wiring in your house. That's the main source of EMF radiation--and several generations have grown up with it so this appears to be a non-issue. I'd worry a lot more about diesel exhaust which is known to be carcinogenic (and clean diesel doesn't help this because it's the small particles that are the problem, not the big ones that are filtered out).

This subject comes up in the Prius groups frequently, and those who have measured EMF say that the Prius has lower EMF rates than an old fashioned car. I would expect the Model S to be similar because manufacturers of vehicles with large batteries know that some people have a concern about EMF so they take care to install EMF shielding.

Thanks for posting the review and podcast. Based on Dan Neil's review I would not be too worried about battery fires; but would think about EMF fields and the long-term impact, particularly on children. Someone mentioned in another post awhile back that the pack contains shielding.
So I have a "friend" who is a bit of a whacko about EMF and he came out and "measured" my Roadster with some sort of instrument. He determined that while driving there was very little EMF and not to worry (like I said, he's a whacko so if it was elevated at all he would have freaked out). However he did measure the car and UMC while charging and recommended I not sit in or be really close to the car while charging. Again, he's a whacko, but it would seem that the car does emit some EMF radiation while charging but very little while driving. Please don't ask for real numbers as I don't want to talk to him about this ever again....

So I have a "friend" who is a bit of a whacko about EMF and he came out and "measured" my Roadster with some sort of instrument. He determined that while driving there was very little EMF and not to worry (like I said, he's a whacko so if it was elevated at all he would have freaked out). However he did measure the car and UMC while charging and recommended I not sit in or be really close to the car while charging. Again, he's a whacko, but it would seem that the car does emit some EMF radiation while charging but very little while driving. Please don't ask for real numbers as I don't want to talk to him about this ever again....

Did he measure other things while he was there? I would expect higher emissions during charging -- but that's not unusual. In fact, that would be normal for anything moving that much power from point A to point B. And the normal usage model would not be to sit in the car or hang out next to it while charging.

Please don't ask for real numbers as I don't want to talk to him about this ever again....

LMAO! It's rare for me to literally LOL (especially several times) while reading these forums. Nicely done. :smile:

I have a friend who's the same way actually ... The office building we sit in is REALLY close to major power lines ... he measured it in the office, and wasn't a healthy reading :scared:

Sorry to continue the OT conversation. That was just funny!