Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No permanent off in the UK for ELDA. Since the recent update a few days ago it's triggering false positives almost every time I use it - driving me nuts and it's rather alarming. I thought it was my poor driving at first but no - the latest one I was 100% between the white lines bang in the centre point and the loud bleep went off again, red message on the screen. I really want to permanently disable this feature as it's bordering on the dangerous, but I can't. It's so buggy that it shouldn't be there at all atm.

Same. It’s getting annoying. Maybe this is one of the reasons for 2020.12. I get multiple false warnings on every drive now and it’s freaking my family out. Negative learning because it’s so rampant it’s gotten to the point where you have start saying to them “disregard” it’s nothing or it’s false. Not only that but it’s then says corrective action taken but the wheel doesn’t jog like it used to.

Ski

I think it changed last year - ity can be turned off but it then turns back on the next time you select Drive.
That’s ridiculous. The behavior you describe is the way all cars used to act. Enough people complained and Tesla made the toggle. Wonder if this is specific to the U.K. and Europe. Lodge a complaint with Tesla.

Wow, this thread is unnerving.

I think that a big part of the problem might be the combination of people that change lanes without signalling (a shockingly large number of people either don't signal at all, or only signal the 3-blink tap to say "by the way, you already noticed me crossing the line, but I'm coming through, beep beep"). Personally, it's a deeply engrained habit for me to treat lane lines like railroad tracks or walls, and only cross them when my blinker is on to indicate what I'm doing or intend to be doing. That's the only time you should be crossing lines... and that's what I do.

About once a week, I find the car completely freaking-out for what seems to be no good reason, but I find it happening most frequently at driveways coming off a striped road - both left and right turns seem to do it. I use AP a lot, and it seems like maybe it corresponds with its sensing of "Autopilot was disengaged, now the car is drifting out of lane" sort-of logic. It really SHOULD be inhibiting all of those warnings if I have a blinker on, for what should be obvious reasons. It seems that even though my blinker is on, the car is like "WOA I DONT KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING, AIEEE FREAKOUT".

It never applies any corrective steering, though, except maybe once or twice in my now 65,000 miles (probably 20k of which with HW3, now).

I "scheduled service" to try to bring this to someone's attention at Tesla today, after doing a "bug report" immediately after it happened. Maybe that'll help them track this down. It's really jarring when it happens and I'd think that simply inhibiting it when your blinker is on would go a long way to preventing it.

• Informative
Reactions: VValleyEV
My 2021 also 'freaks out' every once in a while, but have no idea if it's the lane departure warning, or lane departure emergency warning, both of which I have on, but could turn off if necessary. When it happens, I get a warning (and loud beeping) on the screen, but it's very small, and it disappears very quickly, so can't read crap, to try to figure out which one it is. But there was no reason for that at all, which means Tesla still has questionable software on one of those things. I don't run either autopilot or cruise control, so it can only be one of those 2 things, which I have activated. Thanks gang.
JC

I’m curious as to why Tesla allows the US to toggle but not Europe.

In Canada, it used to default to "on" each time you were using your car. But so many people complained (me included), that they removed the default.

I found this thing not reliable as most of the fancy stuffs the car has.
The car looks nice, is a lot of fun drive, but as any computers, there are always bugs which make the tech part unreliable.

Bump

Been noticing lately that Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance has been aggressively beeping, stating “take over immediately” when I already have my turn signal flashing and I’m simply trying to move over multiple lanes from the passing lane. It doesn’t beep on the first lane change, but it beeps on the second lane change. This only happens when Autopilot has been recently fully disengaged.

I don’t remember this being an issue in 2021. Is anyone else experiencing this more often on V11?

Also bumping this thread, but for a different reason. I am on a very old firmware where I can still set ELDA to always off and it sticks (in the US), but I notice that with a recent firmware version (I believe the one that switched everyone over to Vision only and disabled radar) that ELDA now reverts to on every drive (at least according to the current manual). How many false positives are people getting with very recent firmware, or do you now just slog through the menus to turn it off every drive? (I would like to avoid having to do that).

Also bump because for the last few months the ELDA is super sensitive, screaming on me at least every 10km on our narrow roads. It is getting super frustrating for the whole family. I believe this started around the tesla vision roll out.