Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife had it happen today. Scared the heck out of her; there was no reason for it, she was on a curve with a car coming the opposite direction in the other lane, and the car must have thought she was heading for it, beeped, braked and steered right.

The feature was on by default but has now been turned off.

My wife had it happen today. Scared the heck out of her; there was no reason for it, she was on a curve with a car coming the opposite direction in the other lane, and the car must have thought she was heading for it, beeped, braked and steered right.

The feature was on by default but has now been turned off.

You can't turn it off, or rather, It turns itself back on every drive.
Next time you/she gets back in the car, it will be on again.

They already did this after the first Florida crash. Used to be you could drive for miles and miles without ever getting a nag for the steering wheel. Was nice if you were using the system properly. But, it was a liability, so now it is gone.
If I remember correctly, there were a few S owners that refused to upgrade FW so they didn't get the new nag. I believe Tesla only forces an upgrade if you take your car in for service.

Reactions: SammichLover
So much hand wringing over ELDA in 16.2... It was there in earlier software too. I experienced it on 12.x, and other people reported it as well. They documented it in 16.2, but it was already active earlier.

Perhaps the circumstances for triggering it were narrower, but it was there.
I have never noticed a thing in 12.1.2 of before that in 8.5, while I got 6 dangerous false positives within hours of installing 16.2. Tesla announced the feature for 16.2. It appeared in 16.2.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Here's a video reproducing the ELDA behavior on SW 8.5:.

Note my second paragraph: perhaps they have changed the circumstances for triggering it. Perhaps they opened it up too wide now. But it had been there before.
LDA, not to be confused with what we're talking about here which is ELDA.

Light and noise, yes. And if you turn the setting up to that level, I assume it will adjust the steering angle? That was annoying in 8.6, the light and noise and I turned that off. I don't think it defaulted to "make steering changes" on? But this is a bit different. Both in what does (always actively changes steering) and also in that you can turn that prior option (that is still there) off indefinitely.

LDA, not to be confused with what we're talking about here which is ELDA.

Light and noise, yes. And if you turn the setting up to that level, I assume it will adjust the steering angle? That was annoying in 8.6, the light and noise and I turned that off. I don't think it defaulted to "make steering changes" on? But this is a bit different. Both in what does (always actively changes steering) and also in that you can turn that prior option (that is still there) off indefinitely.

There was no setting in 8.5. Nothing to turn on or off, this was just happening with no explanation. LDA and ELDA supposedly didn't exist in 8.5, but there it is.

Note the video shows a RED line, and note that it turns the wheel. This is ELDA.

Read the release notes: LDA shows a blue line when it does a steering correction. ELDA shows a red line when it does a steering correction.

There was no setting in 8.5. Nothing to turn on or off, this was just happening with no explanation. LDA and ELDA supposedly didn't exist in 8.5, but there it is.

Note the video shows a RED line, and note that it turns the wheel. This is ELDA.

Read the release notes: LDA shows a blue line when it does a steering correction. ELDA shows a red line when it does a steering correction.
I don't believe I ever had 8.5 so I don't know about that.

The whole point that he drives home in that video is that this thing he's demonstrating in the video is actually an extension of AP, that its only there right after you've disengaged AP.

What's happening now is it'll do something entirely separate from AP. First time it happened for me I was parked overnight, left the house and hadn't yet reached roads where AP could be engaged, and it fired off when I was turning a corner (on roads with no lane markings).

I don't believe I ever had 8.5 so I don't know about that.

The whole point that he drives home in that video is that this thing he's demonstrating in the video is actually an extension of AP, that its only there right after you've disengaged AP.

What's happening now is it'll do something entirely separate from AP. First time it happened for me I was parked overnight, left the house and hadn't yet reached roads where AP could be engaged, and it fired off when I was turning a corner (on roads with no lane markings).

Also, as pointed out on this video, this ONLY happens if you DRIFT out of your lane WITHOUT steering input. If you STEER out of your lane, the car lets you get on with it.

In the cases I have experienced, it occurred WHILE I WAS STEERING attempting to over-rule what I wanted to do. It's also not a gentle, guide you back into the center of the lane it's an aggressive TURN RIGHT, or TURN LEFT.

The "Lane Departure Assistance" is like what's in the video, and you can turn that on/off. No problem with that.

The "Emergency Lane Departure Assistant" seems to be a very different beast, more like the "Automatic Emergency Braking". Your imminently going to crash, i'm taking over, full emergency stop. Except, for me at lease, in my car, it's getting this wrong.

While I appreciate that it's a nice safety feature to have, if it gets it wrong, it has implication. Imagine what would happen if you had false positive Automatic Emergency Braking events at 70mph randomly driving down a freeway?

While I appreciate that it's a nice safety feature to have, if it gets it wrong, it has implication. Imagine what would happen if you had false positive Automatic Emergency Braking events at 70mph randomly driving down a freeway?
Yep. That's probably why AEB doesn't brake to a full stop when you drive over 35mph.

Also, AEB can be turned off permanently. There is absolutely no reason why the same shouldn't be possible with ELDA (which is probably less reliable than AEB at this point).

Here's a video reproducing the ELDA behavior on SW 8.5:.

Note my second paragraph: perhaps they have changed the circumstances for triggering it. Perhaps they opened it up too wide now. But it had been there before.

That I have experienced, but that is still in that specific scenario where I came off Auto pilot, but still in auto-cruise, which is different from ELDA, this is really taking steering from your hand even when I am not in cruise mode, or auto steer mode. It caught me by surprise few time and all those seemed dangerous.

Any confirmation that 16.3 fixes anything here?

There is speculation it is only for HW3 cars.

Tesla Software 2019.16.3

(And in any case in this thread I think there is a person who confirms the ELDA still turns back on again on every drive with 16.3...I'll try to look up the specific post...) EDIT: I can't find the post, but I saw it this morning somewhere...

Last edited:

The behavior people are experiencing in 16.2 is quite different than your video and what you describe for 8.5. There were lane departure warnings (which could be turned off) in 8.5, and your referenced video is specifically for a feature intended to mitigate "mode confusion" issues.

In 16.2, presumably the things you mention still exist, but there are additional features as well (of note, the ELDA which has to be turned off for every drive). Note, I don't have 16.2, but I know it is new to 16.2 because the announcement from Tesla of the new features came substantially AFTER release of version 8 (and I think also after release of version 12). And I have version 12 and I know the ELDA issues don't exist there.

There is speculation it is only for HW3 cars.

Tesla Software 2019.16.3

(And in any case in this thread I think there is a person who confirms the ELDA still turns back on again on every drive with 16.3...I'll try to look up the specific post...) EDIT: I can't find the post, but I saw it this morning somewhere...
I think allowing permanent disable would be the wrong solution as many people would never reenable it when it's more reliable. They better geofence it for now to highways and main roads with well defined lines, and make it a bit less trigger happy.