Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EM Tweet: Ramping up autopilot team -- email -- proof of skills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure this is such a good sign to advert by twitter. If i wanted really skilled programmers, i would go to reddit. Or perhaps skynet has become self aware and has now controlled EM's twitter account...

What's wrong with Twitter? It can be a great place to connect with programmers.

I would definitely not try to find people on Reddit, unless there's a community of skilled programmers there which I haven't come across.

Not sure this is such a good sign to advert by twitter. If i wanted really skilled programmers, i would go to reddit. Or perhaps skynet has become self aware and has now controlled EM's twitter account...

He has almost 3 million twitter followers & likely a large number are technical. He just blasted millions of people, direct to their twitter feed (vs. someone choosing to read on reddit).

I'd say it was a GREAT way to reach a lot of people. (I've already forwarded the info to a couple of stellar engineers I know that might be interested. So it worked with me. :) )

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm... while working at Tesla sounds good on paper, and I'm sure the money is good, I bet the hours are insanely long.

Funny thing ... studies I've read in the past (and fully agreed with) showed that as long as compensation was fair (not stellar, just fair), the #1 thing that mattered to employees was being motivated by what they do, recognized, and feeling they can make a difference. Not hours, not being at the top of the pay scale .. but knowing their work mattered both to their employer and in the larger sense.

I had a manager on my team at Intel who, after I moved him into a job that actually fit his passions, would work crazy hours. I was a little worried about him, because it was a huge change in behavior. His response? "Yep, I'm working way more than I ever have, but I'm having fun. I love what I'm doing now."

Funny thing ... studies I've read in the past (and fully agreed with) showed that as long as compensation was fair (not stellar, just fair), the #1 thing that mattered to employees was being motivated by what they do, recognized, and feeling they can make a difference. Not hours, not being at the top of the pay scale .. but knowing their work mattered both to their employer and in the larger sense.

I had a manager on my team at Intel who, after I moved him into a job that actually fit his passions, would work crazy hours. I was a little worried about him, because it was a huge change in behavior. His response? "Yep, I'm working way more than I ever have, but I'm having fun. I love what I'm doing now."

Doing what I do best and probably completely derailing the thread here, but I agree with the bolded part completely; but I don't agree about the hours, at least not for me. It might not be the #1 thing on my list, but it's pretty high up there.

When I was ready to make the move from my previous job, I had an interview with a company whom I asked what the work-life balance was (I'd rather take a pay cut than work 60 hours every week), and they pretty much told me that a 50-60 hour work week is the minimum, and on crunch time they go much higher, BUT "everyone loves what they do, so it's not a problem". It was a problem for me, so that interview ended rather quickly.

If I was right out of college, and had no kids OR if I was an empty-nester OR if I didn't have hobbies, sure.
If my hobbies and my job aligned perfectly, sure.
But generally I work to live, and don't live to work. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy what I do for a living immensely, but I enjoy spending time with my family more than work.

There's a plan and come hell or high water the plan is going to be moved forward and realized because that's far more important to future generations than whether or not the media player isn't entirely up to snuff. First we have to transition to sustainable energy and transport, then will be the time to spend the next 100 years incrementally improving the vanity mirrors.
Well said. Tesla is focused on the core mission, to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport and build an insanely great car that people will drive and fall in love with. And that is what is happening even though the media player isn't perfect and the vanity mirrors aren't lighted. Those details will come in time. But in the big picture they don't mean a damn thing.

Good idea-- i did think of a friend who could do this, easily. It would be like a weekend project for him... But kinda embarrassing to ask him to look into this, nevertheless your post motivated me to contact him...

He has almost 3 million twitter followers & likely a large number are technical. He just blasted millions of people, direct to their twitter feed (vs. someone choosing to read on reddit).

I'd say it was a GREAT way to reach a lot of people. (I've already forwarded the info to a couple of stellar engineers I know that might be interested. So it worked with me. :) )

- - - Updated - - -

What's wrong with Twitter? It can be a great place to connect with programmers.

I would definitely not try to find people on Reddit, unless there's a community of skilled programmers there which I haven't come across.

Reddit and thousands of other sites pick it up within minutes. EM's tweets like this one often become leading business and tech stories. Interesting combination with Big Bang Theory appearance.

All I know is that Elon's tweet confirms to me that Tesla will not expend appreciable resources on improving the software and usability of my classic (pre-auto pilot) Model S because autopilot is EVERYTHING to Elon at this point, and it will get all the resources. So I will not get any type of useful voice control for my car's functions beyond navigation, no improvements in menu ergonomics to make driving and controlling the car at the same time safer, no assistance of integrating aftermarket mobileye deployments into the car, etc. Classic Tesla's we clearly an afterthought in the development of 7.0. Now we know why.
This will undoubtedly be a net negative in the promised evolution of my $120k P85 investment.

All I know is that Elon's tweet confirms to me that Tesla will not expend appreciable resources on improving the software and usability of my classic (pre-auto pilot) Model S because autopilot is EVERYTHING to Elon at this point, and it will get all the resources. So I will not get any type of useful voice control for my car's functions beyond navigation, no improvements in menu ergonomics to make driving and controlling the car at the same time safer, no assistance of integrating aftermarket mobileye deployments into the car, etc. Classic Tesla's we clearly an afterthought in the development of 7.0. Now we know why.
This will undoubtedly be a net negative in the promised evolution of my $120k P85 investment.

I seriously don't think it's that bad. While AP is a current priority, I'm sure there's lots of software goodness headed our way for pre-AP cars.

Don't forget, Elon is hiring to expand the "Autonomous Driving" team, and all current AP cars aren't equipped for that, so right now, NOBODY can benefit from that.

Looks like their API is .NET based (based on their job ads), but I'm sure the AP stuff is something else -- maybe C++?

C++ is my primary language skill , 13+ years professional, real time programming...software architecture, design, etc etc...the job requirements is probably a complete match to my background. i would apply, except that I know their engineer salary is pretty low for the industry and I know they are REALLY overworked plus I have ZERO desire to live in CA. I love Tesla but no thanks. that is unless I can work 100% remotely :)

Code sample? Will they accept something in PASCAL? I still have an old printout of the pig latin program I wrote in high school. Certainly Tesla needs someone who can convert the UI into pig latin.
Somewhere in the basement I must have a deck of punch cards with something written in FORTRAN... Can I mail the deck to Elon? Or should I tweet them to him, one card at a time?

Well, the LOGO comment pretty much caused me to snort coffee...

At least no one has mentioned ADA yet! :p

agree with Bonnie's earlier comment on remuneration not being everything. I work where I do at < half of another position I was offered. That position was a) in Bay Area and b) not doing something I love. it would be more enticing if TM would create a sw group up here, in the same manner in which they have for SpaceX... ;-)

Somewhere in the basement I must have a deck of punch cards with something written in FORTRAN... Can I mail the deck to Elon? Or should I tweet them to him, one card at a time?

Ha, ha ha. You mean like these? I'm missing a Model 029 to punch the holes, though.
IMG_0909.jpg