Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 of the 200 arrested were convicted. I would also note that Jessie Liu, the Attorney who dropped the charges in the remaining cases, was appointed by "Voldemort."
I stand by the example posted and raise you an accusation of anarcho-tyranny. It’s not the about the act, it’s who is involved and the American Citizen is the real loser in it all.

The changes at the irs are intended to go after rich tax cheats. It doesn't apply to anyone making less than 400k.

My BS detector just about caught on fire when I first heard that. 🤣

I stand by the example posted.
Ok then post the evidence that police arrested the person responsible and the Attorney for the District of Columbia appointed in 2017 who dropped the charges in 2018 was somehow under the control of the current administration. You make a lot of very far fetched claims. haha. This is next level though.

Ok then post the evidence that police arrested the person responsible and the Attorney for the District of Columbia appointed in 2017 who dropped the charges in 2018 was somehow under the control of the current administration.
I didn’t get into the specifics of it but there’s no denying that some are more equal than others in the District of Criminals and other places where flunkie clowns are in charge of the “justice” system.

• Disagree
Reactions: B@ndit
I stand by the example posted and raise you an accusation of anarcho-tyranny.

My BS detector just about caught on fire when I first heard that. 🤣

I'm guessing you're getting most of your information on this from Newsmax.

Set aside the fact that the wording of the act sets the objective at cheats making more than 400k and that irs appointees have testified to this in confirmation hearing.

Let's think about this rationally. Most people making less than 400k already have taxes withheld. Cheating is difficult and obvious here. The irs needs very little to prosecute these cheats. There's also not a lot of tax revenue to gain here.

On the other hand the rich tax cheats have many tools available to evade taxes. Prosecuting these cases takes more resources. Hence the hiring spree at the irs.

So if you're in the 7 figure income category and you have a certain moral flexibility regarding taxes then I can see your outrage. I am not in this category so I think it's a good thing.

I'm guessing you're getting most of your information on this from Newsmax.

Set aside the fact that the wording of the act sets the objective at cheats making more than 400k and that irs appointees have testified to this in confirmation hearing.

Let's think about this rationally. Most people making less than 400k already have taxes withheld. Cheating is difficult and obvious here. The irs needs very little to prosecute these cheats. There's also not a lot of tax revenue to gain here.

On the other hand the rich tax cheats have many tools available to evade taxes. Prosecuting these cases takes more resources. Hence the hiring spree at the irs.

So if you're in the 7 figure income category and you have a certain moral flexibility regarding taxes then I can see your outrage. I am not in this category so I think it's a good thing.
You don’t need 80K+ new bean counters to go after the top 3-4% of earners.

Whoever sold that one and thought it would fly needs to find a new job, preferably outside of the USA.

Whoever sold that one and thought it would fly needs to find a new job, preferably outside of the USA.
I seem to be missing something basic here. Shouldn’t people who don’t pay their taxes be forced to do so?
Otherwise, the rest of us are chumps, carrying their weight.

I seem to be missing something basic here. Shouldn’t people who don’t pay their taxes be forced to do so?
Otherwise, the rest of us chumps, are carrying their weight.
If you’re making enough money to live comfortably in a high inflation period (as optimistic as I can word it, frankly) one should value their freedom more than being able to deduct a business lunch at The Capital Grille.

The reality is, this country has a lot of obligations that are in deficit. Some involuntary but that’s not a discussion for today and once you make that connection you’ll figure out that middle income folks, often small business owners are the real target here assuming the sniffles on overdrive didn’t bankrupt them.

The billionaires and multimillionaires will be just fine. They might even pay less taxes going forward.

The rest of us? Not so much.

• Disagree

Again, your information is wrong.

Yep, and Elon is a big part of the problem. He's done everything underlined:

1. Canceled many Twitter accounts, including @elonjet
2. Shunned what was clearly comedy, including canceling the accounts of people who are clearly comedians, who happened to be making fun of him
3. Fired many people at Twitter for not agreeing with him. Tried to get reporters fired for reporting on true, but unflattering, things about him as Tesla CEO. Etc.
4. Suppressed accounts of journalists for reporting on the banning of the @elonjet account
1. I would have done the same. Even though the information could be extrapolated, it was still against the anonymity requested by Elon to the government.

2. Was done against more than just Elon.

“Twitter accounts with check marks impersonated consumer brands Eli Lilly, PepsiCo and Nintendo, and public figures including Arizona Republican gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake, President Joe Biden and basketball player LeBron James. “

3. It’s his company. He can hire/fire ANYONE he wants. And if he feels those people are slowing down his progress to right the ship, look out! Especially when time is of the essence.

4. Many did more than report on it. They linked to other locations for that information. But others were unfairly included in that. Quickly reverted.

Elon screws up at times but at least he does change course when needed quite often. Sometimes I wish he would think a bit longer before reacting but it’s easy for me to armchair quarterback without knowing all the details.

2. Shunned what was clearly comedy, including canceling the accounts of people who are clearly comedians, who happened to be making fun of him
3. Fired many people at Twitter for not agreeing with him. Tried to get reporters fired for reporting on true, but unflattering, things about him as Tesla CEO. Etc.
2. Comedians are supposed to be funny.
3. MuH pRiVaTe CoMpAny.

• Disagree
1. I would have done the same. Even though the information could be extrapolated, it was still against the anonymity requested by Elon to the government.

“Twitter accounts with check marks impersonated consumer brands Eli Lilly, PepsiCo and Nintendo, and public figures including Arizona Republican gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake, President Joe Biden and basketball player LeBron James. “

3. It’s his company. He can hire/fire ANYONE he wants. And if he feels those people are slowing down his progress to right the ship, look out! Especially when time is of the essence.

4. Many did more than report on it. They linked to other locations for that information. But others were unfairly included in that. Quickly reverted.

Elon screws up at times but at least he does change course when needed quite often. Sometimes I wish he would think a bit longer before reacting but it’s easy for me to armchair quarterback without knowing all the details.

So no problem as long as it is done for the "right" reasons? Or am I missing your point?

Reactions: BitJam and B@ndit
I’m missing your point.

The previous point/claim was that Elon did those things that were argued to be the problem with extreme forms of being "woke".

To that you responded by defending his reasons. Seemed your point was that Elon had better reasons to do those things than the "woke" reasons.

Also I don't see how pointing out that it is his private company makes anything better.

Reactions: BitJam and B@ndit
The previous point/claim was that Elon did those things that were argued to be the problem with extreme forms of being "woke".

To that you responded by defending his reasons. Seemed your point was that Elon had better reasons to do those things than the "woke" reasons.

Also I don't see how pointing out that it is his private company makes anything better.
I was simply replying to the 4 points made by the previous poster. Not that they were “woke” or not.

When that much money is on the line and bills are due, time is ticking and changes are needed, decisions will be made that some people may not like. Wether they are good or not, I guess it depends who one asks.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Irrelevant. The law requires that the information be transmitted. Elon knows the law. That said, there are ways to get anonymity within the bounds of the law (the planes are required to transmit their ICAO hex ID, type, position, speed, etc., once every second). This is for safety reasons as other planes can pick up this data and use it to send alerts to pilots of impending mid-air collisions. But they are NOT required to transmit their passenger manifests. If Elon is too stupid to figure out how to get anonymity, then he should talk to Tim Cook or Bernard Arnault, who have both figured it out.

While this is true, it generally wasn't a problem until Elon made a mockery of the blue check mark by allowing anyone to buy it for $8.
I wasn't commenting on whether this was legal or not. Clearly it is legal, as he owns the company. I was commenting on this:
Being “woke” isn’t the problem.

It’s the extremes and what they advocate that are the problem. (Ie cancel culture, overreaction to Dave Chapelle, going back and shunning everything that was considered comedy in the past, getting people fired, quietly suppressing views they don’t agree with, etc.)
That was your statement, not Elon's. But the problems you pointed out are all things Elon does or advocates. Legal? Yes. But you never claimed that they were illegal, just that they were problems. And I agree.
4. Many did more than report on it. They linked to other locations for that information.
So? Public data, transmitted on the public airwaves. If I go driving on the road past your house, I do not have any recourse if you set up a camera that reads license plates and posts on a website whenever my vehicle goes by your house. I have no expectation of privacy in public places, and all cars are required to have license plates on them. The light waves that reflect off of said license plate and are picked up by cameras on public property, or on private property that you own, are also public information. So if you're going to post the date and time of every license plate of every car that drives by, that's legal, and there's nothing I can do to stop you. That said, I can mask my identity by not ever driving the same vehicle twice, which meets the legal requirement of having a license plate on the car but since the plate doesn't identify the occupants, you wouldn't know which car had me in it. There is also no expectation of privacy when transmitting data on the public airwaves, and planes are required to transmit their data. But NOT their passenger manifests, as I explained earlier.

I was simply replying to the 4 points made by the previous poster. Not that they were “woke” or not.

When that much money is on the line and bills are due, time is ticking and changes are needed, decisions will be made that some people may not like. Wether they are good or not, I guess it depends who one asks.

Those points were made in the context of your own post which said these things are problems with extreme wokeness. So you seem to have lost track of that context.

Status
Not open for further replies.