Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if the lab leak theory is true... Elon should heavily advocate for "prosecution of the CCP" rather than blaming Fauci while being fully silent on the country/party where the lab stood and apparently a bad lab leak and deep cover up happened... seems a bit more meaningful than the lab receiving as minor part of their funding some NIH grant

So, you know this is never going to happen, and you make the argument Elon should do it anyway. You KNOW he's not going to speak out again the CCP - which puts Giga Shanghai in jeopardy - which puts the stated mission of Tesla in jeopardy.

Comon, be honest with yourself at least on this. We all KNOW why Elon doesn't speak out again the CCP and their COVID policies, but you and others are using it as a strawman argument for him to stop what he's doing here in the USA.

Or perhaps you are secretly TSLAQ and hope Elon will speak out against them, and tank TSLA because of that. 🧐

Retail investors are really getting tired of this madness. How long before institutional investors follow suit?

I dislike Kevin but I have to agree with him.
Except Kevin looks out for Kevin (is EXTREMELY fickle) and what he says about republicans is not true.

Ultimately will be fine.

Often on the investors thread, there would be anecdotes of how some poster's acquaintance took a test drive in a Tesla and was "blown away".....immediate converts to the Tesla family. Those anecdotes were met positively and were affirmation of our own enthusiasm for Tesla products.

Now there are frequent anecdotes of potential lost sales due to prospective customers refusing to buy Telsa's because they find Elon Musk's behavior repellant. I personally know of 2 lost sales in the last 5 days for example.

Anecdotes aren't scientific data, but if you were excited to hear about the positive anecdotes back in the day, you should consider why you are willing to dismiss the negative ones now. Moreover, there is increasing (non-anecdotal) data about brand erosion in the last few months.

I obviously don't condone everything he says either. It was easier to separate his statements from the car before. Now that he OWNS Twitter and has embraced the alt right fully (he was nibbling before) this is harder to do.

Tesla still is the best EV around just for charging network alone not to mention other features. It's still the only EV I'm considering if I buy a new car.

It's such a cop out to say that people who disagree with Elon should just sell our shares.

I'm invested in Tesla. Not Elon.

Kanye just got banned didn't he.
Yes a bunch of accounts have been reinstated, but if they still spew hate, don't you think they will get banned?
+Elon seeing what he saw inside twitter, thinks v1.0 was extremely left biased. He is starting with clean chit, but I think a lot of accounts will get banned again (after they pay $8 :)

You KNOW he's not going to speak out again the CCP - which puts Giga Shanghai in jeopardy - which puts the stated mission of Tesla in jeopardy.

Except that Elon actually implicitly accused China of creating the covid virus with his accusation of Fauci and gain of function research. I agree that type of reckless speech puts Tesla in jeopardy.

Often on the investors thread, there would be anecdotes of how some poster's acquaintance took a test drive in a Tesla and was "blown away".....immediate converts to the Tesla family. Those anecdotes were met positively and were affirmation of our own enthusiasm for Tesla products.

Now there are frequent anecdotes of potential lost sales due to prospective customers refusing to buy Telsa's because they find Elon Musk's behavior repellant. I personally know of 2 lost sales in the last 5 days for example.

Anecdotes aren't scientific data, but if you were excited to hear about the positive anecdotes back in the day, you should consider why you are willing to dismiss the negative ones now. Moreover, there is increasing (non-anecdotal) data about brand erosion in the last few months.
I remember seeing these negative “anecdotes” after Elon came out against the lockdowns years ago and forced opened Tesla.

And again when he supported the Canadian truckers. So many people lost their minds with wanting to sell their Tesla.

You know what? That negative sentiment doesn’t last very long. Not compared to the Tesla positive sentiment. This is what matters.

Except that Elon actually implicitly accused China of creating the covid virus with his accusation of Fauci and gain of function research. I agree that type of reckless speech puts Tesla in jeopardy.
You’re confusing Elon with Voldemort (though they may as well be one and the same according to some here)

“It comes from, Chy-na”

Wake me up when Elon says the above verbatim in his best imitation orange.

Admittedly I'm very old so out-of-date on many subjects.
US citizens seem more 'whiny' than any others I have encountered also. After living in a dozen countries and working in many more i really thought I'd seen it all. Not close!
Within the last decade the US seems to have reverted to the 1950's 'Red Scare' itself reminiscent of earlier episodes of national self-destructive behavior. Now it has driven many people to extremes, seemingly Elon too.

The 'woke' and the 'anti-vax, anti-abortion, guns for all' extremes become themselves destructive to all. So why does that end out with Elon fixation? I do think the productivity issue has been ignored in this context, and you raise it in clear and concise terms.

Perhaps the most serious recent consequence of all this is that Elon has now ended out exactly drawn into the fray, loudly and actively. This does not end well.

In Brazil we have been flirting with that set of issues. Our election ended out being accepted, and the temperature have been lowered. The issues remain, but the sides still talk with each other.

The question of national productivity as a motivating force for Elon is interesting, and if that is central to his thing we should begin to see new employment centers in countries such as Estonia, Finland, Singapore and other countries with excellent education systems and strong internal discipline. Other than China and Taiwan there are few that have enough sales to support major facilities. If South Korea succeeds in taming union habits they will qualify.

There remains another closely related reality. Tesla needs direct sales in Texas, the second largest auto marketing the US, one which is first in pickup sales. Will they gain that permission with a left-liberal CEO? Whether that is a factor or not, a move to the political right is well-connected to Tesla needs in the US.

If we view all this in terms of crass commercial reality..it makes more sense, albeit cynically.
Students of world history usually observe business interests tend to follow political needs.
The correlation is undeniable, rather less definitive the causality.

This group being rather opinionated I do not extract charts. a simple search provides the pickup data and political structure of Texas. Not causal, conveniently correlated.
Wait... lemme... lemme just... hold on a minute. Are you saying he bought Twitter for $44b and is just PRETENDING to be QAnon-adjacent... so he can sell CTs in Texas?
Didn’t see that coming. 4D chess for real!

No but it's possible I haven't been paying enough attention to know. Clearly it’s ramped up in the last few weeks, but we’ll see how long that lasts.

I would've thought daring Alameda County to arrest him for reopening the factory or dramatically moving HQ to Texas or pontificating about fascism on an earnings call would've done it if nothing else.
Its far worse. Now it is everyday. He doesnt take a break and moves from one right wing topic to another. Honestly starting to think the years of sleep depravation is catching up to him.

Hasn't this been settled already? I thought in Texas people just have to order online and get the car shipped from out of state. I'm in Texas right now and have seen plenty of Teslas in Austin and Houston, about as much as in any other non-West Coast urban areas I've visited recently.
The sale is completed remotely and the fact that the cars come from out of state is mostly because the great majority are still built @ NUMMI.

Every lost customer is a loss which builds up over time. Eventually it's going to matter.

Maybe in 30 years. Do you honestly think people are going to care about today?

Hell, they don’t care about dieselgate or VW/BMW being started by actual Nazis.

The potential customer base will absorb this “loss” in the short term and will be forgotten in the long term.

Every lost customer is a loss which builds up over time. Eventually it's going to matter.
Used to be every new customer was advertisement to Tesla. So every lost one is a lost customer and I no longer talk to others outside of TMC and Twitter about our Tesla's. Started a new contract recently and during before Thanksgiving during a standup we chatted briefly what are people doing for Thanksgiving. I said driving from Chicago to Little Rock to visit sister. I would never in the past missed a chance to sell Tesla and how great a road trip with a Autopilot and SuperChargers are. No way I talked about it this time. No way with people I know little about. Never got in the way before. I work with other Software Engineers and they have the funds for Tesla's.

Your second sentence negates your first. People are more likely to forget the negatives 30 years from now, (assuming Musk doesn't go even further off the rails in an epic fashion), but currently it's fresh in their minds. Elon is in the news daily.

The potential customer base will absorb this “loss” in the short term and will be forgotten in the long term.
Do you think if current BMW leadership came out today and said hey were Nazi's that BMW wouldnt take a huge hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.