Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk vs. Short sellers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UBS is on CNBC pretty much every day now with some analyst spouting nonsense the their "tear-down". Now it's quality issues like missing bolts and uneven gaps.

At what point does this become illegal? I mean we have one entity paying a media outlet for airtime to spread obviously fabricated stories to move a stock price. There should be a clear line between "I feel this company is financially unsound" and "this car is falling apart".
It becomes illegal when shorts have to disclose their position. Until then, it's just normal FUD. Tesla in particular gets the most of it because they don't spend much if anything on advertising.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
I apologize if I'm being rude here, but is anyone else creeped out by winfield's avatar?
not me. <smile> (the picture is over 0.41 century old)
edit:
do you have an alternate suggestion? it's only possibly supposed to "creep out" shorts and
those whom oppose Tesla and it's myriad of products, i guess.
happy investing

Last edited:
This article in Institutional Investor about Jim Chanos published today includes the following statements about Fairfax:

One of Chanos’s few losing shorts that drew media criticism was an ugly battle with Canadian insurer Fairfax Financial. Flame-throwing journalist Matt Taibbi criticized the short-sellers in his book The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap, saying that hedge fund moguls Dan Loeb and Steve Cohen, among others, had followed Chanos’s lead and ganged up to drive down the shares of Fairfax. (The company sued the hedge fund managers in a New Jersey court, but the case against Kynikos was eventually thrown out on jurisdictional grounds, with Fairfax losing its final appeal last year.)

The short-sellers argued that Fairfax was underreserved, which turned out to be true. But ultimately it didn’t matter, as Fairfax made up for its deficiencies with a timely subprime short during the financial crisis.

Chanos concedes that the critics had one good argument: Short-sellers had hired a third-party researcher, Spyro Contogouris, who turned out to be a “bad guy” who engaged in unsavory behavior that confirmed the public’s worst suspicions of short-sellers. “As soon as we found that out,” Chanos says, “we fired him.”

Maybe there's nothing new here, but it is yet another reference.

• Informative
Reactions: SunCatcher
Chanos concedes that the critics had one good argument: Short-sellers had hired a third-party researcher, Spyro Contogouris, who turned out to be a “bad guy” who engaged in unsavory behavior that confirmed the public’s worst suspicions of short-sellers. “As soon as we found that out,” Chanos says, “we fired him.”

Nice fairy tale. Taibbi points out that Chanos himself delivered a Contogouris-penned “report” on Fairfax to the University of Toronto because they were associated with Prem Watsa. There is circumstantial evidence in the book that Chanos himself was the author of anonymous letters to Prem Watsa.

A Field Guide To Potential Securities Violations By Tesla's Foes — In Depth | CleanTechnica

I've seen other list Tesla mile stones - how could anyone imagine anyone better than Elon? based on hourly stock fluctuation?
get a grip
How about SpaceX Shotwell? 7th employee and worked her way to COO - listen up - all those armchair critics - actual facts?

@DaveT just keep showing your Tesla, talk/answer questions, give rides.
Stories to combat stories - doesn't that just increase the click bait?
reminder the problem is NOT demand (all those negative stories must not be working) it is supply.

Last edited:
Reactions: aubreymcfato
Gotta diversify, says #PoorJimChanos as he hedges his mobility market position.

AC2B5FC8-C4AD-4D42-87BB-3316CCFD9447.jpeg

Too Little, Poor Jim. And Too Late.